Single Girl Quilt

IMG_1045

I think the world may have just tilted on its axis. I have completed a bed-sized quilt.

A king-size quilt, in fact. Like, to use on a real bed. It will keep us warm when we are sleeping. Yes, it’s true: I have made something that is not only pretty, but useful as well. What a great feeling.

So, details: The fabric is mostly Cherish Nature (so I’m calling this quilt “Nature Girl”), but there is some Neptune, Al Fresco, and a few other odds and ends thrown in. If you intend to make the Single Girl pattern, you really do need 36 different prints—I had initially hoped to get away with fewer, but this quilt achieves its randomness in a highly organized, structured way, requiring all 36 prints. The quilt back is pieced as well. (And became even more pieced than I had originally intended when the back ended up being too small for the long-arm due to a measuring error.) It was quilted by the talented ladies at my local quilt shop.

Of course, because I must torture myself by second-guessing every design decision I have ever made, I’m questioning my choice of the “bubbles” quilting pattern. I’m thinking the circles-over-circles might be just a little too … circle-happy. Also, I wasn’t thinking about the fact that the pieced rings aren’t perfect circles (they’re more squared off), while the bubbles in the quilting are perfectly round. But I chose the bubbles because I wanted to do something other than stippling. I like stippling, but since there’s so much of it out there right now, I figured if I could do something different, I should. The only other pattern that caught my eye was a swirly one, and I didn’t think that would work with the minimalist, modern aesthetic I was going for. And you know what? Now that I’m talking through my reasoning for the choice, I’m feeling a little better about the bubbles. Ah, blog, you are serving your purpose already.

Now I just need to get going on some shams and throw pillows. And maybe some curtains. And some artwork. Oh yeah, and I still have to bind this puppy. Nooooo problem.

Adrianne, I've been following your blog for a while now, I love it! Thanks for reading.

This was my first time with curved piecing, but it was not nearly as difficult as I expected. Some of my rings aren't quite touching each other, but that was the only real problem I had (and it's a forgiving design, so that issue isn't very noticeable). The worst part of making this pattern was templating and cutting out all the pieces! It took FOREVER for a quilt this size and got really tedious. I also recommend keeping all those pieces very organized while cutting and piecing, or you will lose your mind.

2. Kimberly White
    Kimberly White says:

I think the bubbles are wonderful and I appreciate how you came to the decision! WHat a wonderful quilt! And hooray for making one that will fit on a bed (I'm just in the process of making one myself!)

3. QuiltyGirl
    QuiltyGirl says:

Your quilt is gorgeous! And i love the bubble quilting.
    I made a DS quilt for my sister (also king size!), and if her patterns weren't all based on templates I would add a single girl to my to do list! I just don't like all of the work of using templates. 🙁

Victoria Girl – that's a good question. Paper piecing would allow you to skip all the template-making and painstaking cutting of the pieces, which was a pain. But it would be hard to organize the pieces the way the pattern recommends if you paper-piece. Plus you'd have to make all those paper patterns and tear out the paper. So I'm not sure it would be that much easier. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with paper piecing.

5. Cynthia
    Cynthia says:

I love this quilt! I have been wanting to make one too–ever since I quilted the one my sister-in-law made! She used the same fabrics as in the pattern I think, but I have to say, I like yours even better! So, so cute! Congrats on finishing a big one!

6. John
    John says:

I don't know where I've been, but I just stumbled across your blog today … and I've been reading for an hour! Your work is brilliant, and your talent is evident. Adding you to my Google Reader now!

7. amandajean
    amandajean says:

your quilt is amazing! i love the circles in the quilting. i think it was a great choice! your color selection (where i always get hung up when thinking of attempting the single girl) is fantastic!

8. Nikki
    Nikki says:

for some reason I just found this today, and I love your quilt. I have had this pattern for about a year, read through it a few times, and even made all my templates. I have about 18 fabrics I like so far, but I have been too afraid to start. It IS such a big project!
    I'll keep looking at your pictures, and perhaps get unstuck!
    thanks!

9. Kate
    Kate says:

I know I am going way back in time, but the link for this just popped up and it is stunning!!! I love this pattern and these fabrics. Great work!