, ,

Kissing Fish Baby Quilt

IMG_1231-1

Good news! This tutorial is now available as a full-fledged PDF pattern, totally free of charge, on Craftsy! Click here to download the pattern.

1. Karen
    Karen says:

This is a gorgeous quilt. Thank you very much for sharing the pattern. Your photos are really clear and easy to follow. Congratulations on a great first tutorial!

2. angela
    angela says:

Great tutorial! So glad you visited me today – so I could find your blog!

And that single girl – it's on my short list and I have the pattern….maybe I need to get going on it.

So what are you doing with that Figgy Pudding!

Thanks for all the comments! I'm glad the tutorial seems relatively clear. Let me know if you use it!

Angela – well, at the moment, "working on" something with Figgy Pudding really means that it's cut and sitting in a pile in the corner, waiting to be pieced. : ) But I should be getting to that this week and hopefully posting about it then.

4. everythingquilts
    everythingquilts says:

Oh I just love this quilt. Spotted it over one another blog. She thought it was too cute not to share and she was right. She added that you shared the pattern with us on your blog and so clickidy click here I went. I've added a link to your cute quilt pattern on my blog list of tutorials by others. That way I know I can always find my way back here. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I hope to find time to make this one day very soon. Have a wonderful day!

5. Michelle Bell
    Michelle Bell says:

I am a beginner quilter, and self taught sewer. I saved this quilt a while back on pinterest. I'm currently working on two quilts for gifts and I plan to make Kissy Fish my 3rd as a gift for my SIL who's expecting a little girl this summer! Have you seen pics of other quilts with your pattern? Once I get mine done (don't hold your breath-like I said I have until summer) I will share it with you 🙂 I think she will love it! Thank you!!!

6. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

I have a question about your setting triangles….are their bias edges on the edge of your quilt? Did you have trouble with that? I thought bias edges were to be avoided, and that you'd need bigger squares for setting triangles, so that the big side (hypotenuse?) is on-grain. I am so scared of setting triangles for this reason. Thanks. Love love love your quilt and am trying to make it for my grandbaby.
    Janet

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Janet – good question! Personally I didn't have any trouble with it. I think the concern with bias edges is that they may stretch and distort. My rows came together just fine anyway, and the quilt didn't seem to get bent or distorted during the quilting process, so I didn't have a problem with it. But there's certainly a chance those things could happen. If you want to avoid it, you could always cut larger squares (twice as large? not sure if my math is correct), and cut the squares into 4 triangles instead of just 2. That would give you triangles with straight-grain edges.

Thanks for reading! Please post a picture of your finished quilt to my Flickr group, http://www.flickr.com/groups/1773074@N21/. I would love to see it! : )

7. Simone de Klerk
    Simone de Klerk says:

Wow, looking at the quilt didn't make me think it would be so easy to make those blocks. I thought there would be lots of triangle cutting. Beautiful!
    To be added on my list what I want to make one day.

8. Erin
    Erin says:

love the quilt, but i would love to make it in a larger size, either full or queen. how would i go about changing the size? would i make bigger squares, or just a lot more of them?

9. shobs
    shobs says:

I have the same question as Erin. Your block size is 9 inches is it? There is no mention but I am just doing some math here. I must admit I would like biiger squares but not sure I won't mess it up.