Reorganizing

IMG_2023-1

So remember how I said I’ve been making some changes in my sewing room?

It all started with this Follower Friday post on Gen X Quilters. When I saw Kati’s amazing design wall, I thought, that it’s—why haven’t I made one of those yet?

The thing is, I’ve been sewing in a room that was set up more than six years ago as an office, so that I could work from home full time. After I had my girls, I worked less and less and sewed more and more. But I guess I never stopped and took a hard, objective look at my space and how I was using it. I now spend 95 percent of my time in that room sewing, but sewing stuff took up maybe 20 percent of the space. I mean, check out that gigantic corner workstation desk. What on earth was that still doing in there?? It was a handy spot for stacking things (and I’ve got a lot of stacks), but it also commanded a hefty chunk of real estate. Including valuable wall space that could become a design wall. Duh.

So the corner desk, plus a whole lot of other officey stuff, was finally banished to the basement this week. And in its place: A lovely flannel sheet nailed to the wall! I can’t believe I didn’t do this earlier! Too bad I’m still using that awful office chair. Sitting in it makes me feel more like the CEO of a bank than a mommy working on a quilt.

I also decided my thread, needles, and other notions deserved better than just being dumped all together into a giant basket. There was stuff in the bottom of that basket that I didn’t even remember I had, because it was too hard to find. A cosmetics organizer from Bed Bath & Beyond seems to fit the bill (top shelf). Now I can see almost everything I have, and the basket is perfect for my rulers. The middle shelf is where I’m keeping tops that are awaiting quilting.

I love my new and improved sewing room! I don’t have as much desk space now for my stacks, but that’s what the floor is for, I guess. It just goes to show that every once in a while, you have to try to look at your space with fresh eyes and think about how it could be used better. Just because you’ve always used it in a certain way doesn’t mean you still should.

1. A.J. Dub.
    A.J. Dub. says:

Nice! Someday I will have my own sewing space. I was trying to convince my boys just tonight at dinner that they can go back to sharing a room so I can put my stuff somewhere besides the kitchen.

Love your design wall! How is the sheet working?

2. Marjorie's Busy Corner
    Marjorie's Busy Corner says:

great idea Lee!! I need to clean mine out..Christmas gifts are piled in the til next week..grandsons are spending the night tonight..so;..lol. Do you mind me askin what your machine is? Since buying a new one; my interest is perked…hoping to play with my new stitches this afternoon..don;t have room in there right now for anything else…enjoy your room

3. Christie, Describe Happy
    Christie, Describe Happy says:

What a difference, I bet it feels so much better now while you are working! And a really, a design wall is that easy? I need to go hunt down a sale flannel sheet; thanks for the inspiration to take a good hard look at my own space!

4. AnneMarie
    AnneMarie says:

Great idea! I love the full wall idea. My space is getting a serious reorg too once I finish all this crazy sewing for the holidays. I think a design wall is in order for me too!

Marjorie – you should add an email address to your blogger profile. I would reply to your question via email but I can't because you're a "no reply" blogger!

Anyway, in answer to your question about my machine, I have a Babylock Decorator's Choice. The Decorator's Choice is almost the same as the Babylock Quilter's Choice, but with no quilter's extension table, so the Decorator's Choice is a little less expensive. Then later I bought a Sew Steady Extension Table for $80. It's custom fit for my machine, and they do almost all brands/models in various sizes. They're available from sewingmachinesplus.com.

6. Leila
    Leila says:

Love it! I don't know what I did before I put up my design wall — a lot of telling kids not to walk on the blocks all over the floor I think. 🙂

For anyone looking to do a design wall ultra cheap (if not so classy), I just tacked up a dollar store fuzzy backed vinyl tablecloth.