Happy Mail!

IMG_3543-1

Look what I got in the mail yesterday!!! That’s right, I got my swap goodies for DQS10. And I couldn’t have been more thrilled to find this little beauty, made by the delightful Jessica of SewCraftyJess.

I’ve been following Jess’s fabulous blog for a while now, and she regularly links up to WIP Wednesday, so I followed along with the whole process of creating this stunning quilt from start to finish—without ever once realizing that it was actually mine. Although I do think I begged her to be my partner at one point, because, well, who wouldn’t want this amazing piece? Here it is, already hanging in its new home above my machine. Doesn’t it look great? (Admittedly, at the moment it’s just stuck up there with painter’s tape. Anybody have a good, slightly more permanent way of hanging mini quilts?)

The curved piecing, the hand-quilting, the way all those prints work together so beautifully—wow. Every detail is just perfect, right down to the carefully chosen thread colors for the quilting. Believe me when I tell you that the pictures just don’t do it justice.

And that’s not all! Jess also made me this adorable matching pincushion. Would you believe that the only pincushion I owned (prior to this one) was a tomato that I bought at Joann? I know, how sad is that? And check out those adorable buttons! My daughter is already begging me to make her something—anything—with those buttons. I’ve already got several possibilities in mind!

Last but certainly not least—how flipping cute are these little pin toppers? Cupcakes! And an apple! And you guys, Jess made them herself! For real!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Jessica for such a sweet package and amazing doll quilt. As beautiful as it is, it means that much more to me coming from one of my blog friends. It is the perfect addition to my sewing room. And be sure to check out Jess’s blog, if you haven’t already!

1. Becky
    Becky says:

aahh! That's so funny. I watched the progress of this one too. I love that you received it! It's totally fantastic! Those pin toppers and so cute, I can't believe she made those. Great package, that's a good swap right there.

2. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

That is so awesome! I enjoyed watching Jessica make this one, and I'm so glad to see her miniquilt got a good home! Lucky you, what an awesome swap!

As for hanging minis, I added loops to the back of one I made last year, but I did it when I added the binding on. I'll be curious to see if anyone has any other recommendations, I've got a few miniquilts that need hanging, too!

3. Marjorie's Busy Corner
    Marjorie's Busy Corner says:

Awwwwwwwwe I watched this process too…beautiful. congratulations on being the receiver Lee. They do have some very nice wooden clip type hangers out there….it looks great on your wall…and cute wire ones…go crazy!!!

Oh, you are SO LUCKY!
    I have been in love with this quilt since the first time Jess posted a picture of it.

For hanging mini (or even wall sized quilts), I use 3M Velcro Strips – use the picture hanging ones, not the poster hanging version (not strong enough). I just put a few (2-5, depending on the size) along the top of the quilt.

You can google it and order some, or find them at Target.

Michelle

Eeeek! It's almost surreal seeing this quilt in its new home, it looks like it was meant to be there! I'm sorry, I totally spaced on adding loops to hang it on the wall, I had meant to all along, and I forgot 🙁 I usually just use those long skinny pins and tack it to the wall, but the velcro idea sounds good too!

6. Leila
    Leila says:

Beautiful!

To hang mini quilts I just use straight pins like nails and "nail" it on the wall. It doesn't hurt the quilt and when you take it down you can barely see the holes.

7. What Comes Next?
    What Comes Next? says:

it looks perfect on your wall! What a beauty. I, too, just use straight pins if I make or receive a mini with no loops or sleeve on the back. I regulary change a quilt around at work and I use bulldog/butterfly paper clips on the corners and hang them from some picture hooks on the wall. (these are usually a bit larger quilts)

8. NorthernStar
    NorthernStar says:

My LQS has nails tapped into the wall at equal spacings. They just put safety pins in the back of their quilts and hang the pins on the nails. It looks really neat and they're easy to swap. Beautiful quilt x

9. angela
    angela says:

Awesome package!

I've hung many quilts, both large and small, using the 3M plastic velcro picture frame hangers. The plastic velcro has the 3M removable sticky stuff on both sides. I stick it to the wall, and even stick the other side right to the back of the quilt! They have been hanging for over a year – also the sticky stuff didn't damage the quilt- acid free and all.

I'm selfishly delighted to benefit from all the great advice on hanging small quilts here – thanks everyone!

I've seen this quiltie come together too and it's so cool to see two bloggers I "know" on each side of a swap!

It's beautiful and you are so lucky!!