Mosaic Squares Shower Curtain

IMG_4156-1

I finished this up last night—a fresh, fun shower curtain for our guest bathroom.

I basically duplicated this beautiful curtain, made by Rachel of Stitched in Color. This one was all her idea, so thank you, Rachel! I love how the teeny patchwork squares almost look like glass tile. I decided to make mine in a softer color palette, in keeping with the color on the walls.

The strip sets from last week’s WIP Wednesday post became these teeny random patchwork squares that finish at 1″ by 1″. You can find out more about how to make it in Rachel’s post. The biggest change I made to Rachel’s instructions was, instead of sewing the shower curtain, I bought a basic white shower curtain from Target, cut a 6.5″ strip out of it, and set the squares right into it. Easy peasy. No scary buttonholes required. : )

I am rapidly becoming a convert to open-pressed seams. But for this project, I was all about side-pressing. I alternate the directions of my seam allowances (as shown above), so that they can nest up against each other as I’m piecing. Lines them up like a dream, with minimal effort—it’s hard to give that up! I love the nice flat look of open-pressed seams, and they definitely seem to be the way to go with bias seams, but for a project like this, I couldn’t resist going back to side-pressing.

And I was hoping this project would cure me of my desire to make a postage stamp quilt. Strangely enough, now that it’s done, I want to make a postage stamp quilt even more. What is wrong with me??

(Edited to add: Per Angela’s request, the paint is Valspar from Lowe’s, and the color is “Silver Sea.”)

Linking up to Sew Modern Monday.

Oh this is just so calming and peaceful!! Reminds me just of being at a spa. I'm looking at redoing our guest bath…starting with a pretty shower curtain like this may be just the inspiration I need!

2. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Wow, Lee, I really love this! And I can totally see how this would make you want to do a whole postage stamp quilt! It's just so gorgeous 🙂 And speaking from the press-the-seams-open camp, I didn't realize that patchwork lines up better with pressing seams to the side…I'll have to try that sometime!

3. Leanne
    Leanne says:

Your patchwork really adds to the shower curtain. I love it! I can see why you want to make more, even a whole quilt, when this bit looks so good.

4. Greta
    Greta says:

Love the colors in this. It is so pretty. Check out the quilt along that Rachel over at PS I Quilt did for a postage stamp quilt. It took pretty much no time at all to put together and only takes 2 Jelly Rolls (1 solid and 1 Print). It is one of my favorite quilts I've done to date.

5. bionic robinson
    bionic robinson says:

Lee, you are such an inspiration! I am absolutely making one of these (as soon as I finish Supernova, of course! fell a bit behind but pushing myself to catch up) Thank you for your continued awesomeness!

6. angela
    angela says:

I love it! Such and awesome addition to a shower curtain.

And you know we're going to want to know the exact name and brand of your paint! Your bathroom looks wonderful.

7. Bree
    Bree says:

What a great way to spruce up a plain curtain! I really like the way the tiles are staggered from the wrong side, it's pretty from both sides!

First of all, this is gorgeous! I love the colors you chose, they look very soothing alongside the wall color (and perfect for a bathroom). Also, when I was Rachel's shower curtain a while back I made a mental note to do that for myself– and I also thought about just modifying an existing curtain! I'm so glad to see it went well. And it was good to see your seams, and how you lined them up 🙂

9. Leila
    Leila says:

First: Love Love Love It! Very spa.

Second: I am a side presser and I don't know how people press those tiny seams open without burning their fingers.

10. traceyjay
    traceyjay says:

it's so pretty Lee! 🙂 ♥

I just wanna sit next to it and look at it…. but then I'd have to be on the toilet and well, I get bored, and it's not like I get alone time in there anyway!

11. Rachel Hauser
    Rachel Hauser says:

Lee, your version is gorgeous! I'm so glad to see another one of these! You're right that updating a bought curtain would be cheaper and faster. But, as an aside, my machine does the buttonholes all by itself. I get no credit for those!

This is so amazing! 🙂 We're about to move to a new apartment and all these pretty pictures are making me think I could be an interior designer or something! I love all those squares!!!!

13. Lynne (Lily's Quilts)
    Lynne (Lily's Quilts) says:

This is a very cute shower curtain – I'm with you – I'm pressing my seams open more and more at the moment but not when I have a run of little blocks like this – so much harder to make them meet!