, ,

Supernova Quilt

IMG_4469-1

OMG, Blogger’s back! Did we all survive the outage? Just barely? Good, because I’ve got a quilt to show you. And if you’re visiting my blog for the first time via the Blogger’s Quilt Festival, welcome! Come on in, make yourself at home. : )

My Supernova quilt is complete. If this is your first visit here, a little background: This is my own design, which I originally made with the Hope Valley line. I had a few requests for the pattern, but since I’ve never written a pattern before, I decided to turn it into a quilt along. Click here to see this quilt in all the phases of its construction and to learn how to make your own, if you are so inclined.

I made this version from a mix of fabric lines, in a color palette loosely inspired by Heather Ross’s Mendocino line. The background is Kona Coal and the binding is Michael Miller’s Ta-Dot in Sunny Yellow.

There is a chance I may have gone slightly overboard with the quilting on this. : ) Dense straight-line quilting is something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time now, and I do like how it turned out. But while I was actually doing the quilting? I was this close to checking myself into the county mental health complex. So, while I’m happy with the end result, I don’t think I’ll be returning to this well very often. If at all.

To make the converging lines pattern, I marked the center diagonals and started by quilting a big “X” from corner to corner. Then, using that “X” as my guide, I worked the quilt one quarter at a time, going from one edge/corner, up to the center, and back down to the other edge/corner, always using the previously stitched line as my guide for the next line. Sounds like a good way to do it, right? Wrong. My quilt got a bit distorted as I worked. The center of each edge of the quilt got pushed out, and as a result, the top is no longer square. It also won’t lie quite flat! I’m not sure if it’s a basting problem, or because I wasn’t always stitching from the center out, or a combination of the two. Either way—not so good.

But I am very glad I did it—it’s been a learning experience, that’s for sure. And the fact that it doesn’t lie flat doesn’t actually bother me all that much, since it’s not going on a bed. I love the colors, love the back, and love the look of the mental-institution quilting—now that it’s finally done and I’ve stopped cursing at it.

But most of all, I LOVE that so many of you made Supernovas along with me. I really enjoyed taking you through the process of making this quilt. And I learned a lot about pattern writing in the process. It’s been an invaluable experience! So without further ado, let’s check out all the finished ‘Novas:

1. supernova complete, 2. Supernova!, 3. Supernova Quilt Finish, 4. Supernova, 5. Supernova, 6. Oceanic Supernova Front, 7. Supernova Finished…Yay!, 8. Supernova, finished, 9. Completed Babynova front, 10. Supernova complete 5.2.11, 11. Supernova Quilt Along-Done!, 12. 100_1402, 13. Supernova quilt finished!, 14. Supernova full shot, 15. Black Hole (a Supernova variation), 16. Supernova complete, 17. Hooty Supernova – finished!, 18. SupernovaFinished, 19. Super Nova, 20. Finished Supernova

Thank you for quilting along with me! If you haven’t finished your quilt, or even if you haven’t started yet, I hope you will still do so. The Flickr group will remain open, discussion can continue in the forums there, and I’m leaving the “Gallery of Completed Quilts” linky open permanently.

And this is a timely finish: I’m linking up to the Blogger’s Quilt Festival at Amy’s Creative Side! This is such a fun event—go check out all the beautiful quilts over there!

Newer Comments »
  1. Becky
    Becky says:

Oh it's gorgeous! I love the dense quilting. Kudos for sticking it out! And the back is fabulous. The zig zaggy line kinda reminds me of charlie brown! 😉

2. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Stunning! I can't imagine doing all that machine quilting – you deserve a medal! I think I'd have plugged myslef into my ipod in an attempt to distract myself from the tedium! If the wave is bothering you (although I think it's fine!) could you try blocking it, like you do with knitting or crochet? Supernova has been added to my (rapidly growing) 'one day' list, thanks for the quilt along.
    P.S. I only seem to be able to post anonymously hjpurvis2002(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

3. Sarah @ FairyFace Designs
    Sarah @ FairyFace Designs says:

Wow, Lee, its simply gorgeous! I hear ya on the dense quilting, it is hard, tedious work but it does look great when its done! Love your mosaic of Supernovas, can't imagine how great you're feeling looking at all those quilts you inspired!

4. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Holy moly, now that is some quilting! How far apart are those lines? That is definitely some dense quilting 🙂 It looks amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing this quilt pattern with all of us as a quilt-along, it was SO much fun!!

5. Mari Angeles Iglesias
    Mari Angeles Iglesias says:

Hi Lee

I love Supernova quilt. It is an absolutely great. I visited the gallery Flickr and never tire of seeing again and composition of colors. Thank you for sharing it with everyone.

I have not done, because now I'm with an art project, but in future I'll do it. Thank you very much.

Greetings from Granada, Spain, from espiralcaracola.blogspot.com
    Patchwork from the Alpujarra "

6. Manda
    Manda says:

Love all thoses supernovas together!
    Yours looks fantastic, colours look great against the grey. Quilting may have been a nightmare to do but it looks amazing!

7. Lisa
    Lisa says:

WOW! That is a spectacular quilt! The colors are great, and your dense mental institution quilting is suberb. Really, really wonderful.

8. Live a Colorful Life
    Live a Colorful Life says:

Lee, I thought I would temporarily lose it when blogger was out. SO frustrating.

Okay, moving on. This Supernova is stunning. and the dense straight line quilting, I don't even know what to say about that. Amazing!

Supernova is a stunning pattern, and I'm doing mine with Hope Valley, like your original, but it sure has been fun to see all the fun variations, and must be very gratifying to you as the pattern designer.

9. Kayla
    Kayla says:

Oh wow it is so beautiful! I love this pattern and wish I'd had the time to join in during the actual quilt along–but it's on my to do list! You did an absolutely fabulous job =)

That quilting: crazy-making? Yes. Stunning? Absolutely. I'm sorry it pushed your quilt out of square, but boy oh boy does that quilting look wonderful.

Thanks again, Lee, for a great QAL. Even though I didn't win the Castle Peeps.

11. Linda
    Linda says:

Twenty finished Supernova's is great! You would have thought it would have increased MY chances of winning! <ggg) But I'm happy for the winner and that I have a finished project. Thank you again, Lee. If I knew your mailing address, you'd have a thank-you giftie from me.

I'll be showing my Supernova at the FIRST meeting of the Des Moines, Iowa, Modern Quilt Guild on May 19. Thanks for holding my hands through baby steps into Modern quilting!

12. Linda
    Linda says:

P.S. I can understand how the dense quilting made the quilt distorted. But I hope you'll try this kind of quilting again – one that takes 100s of hours to complete – as I have done. Instead of "mental institution quilting" I highly recommend doing as I do: "audio book quilting!" My first intense FMQ experience was while listening to a Harry Potter book. Nothing beats listening to a great, UNabridged audio book. (I download mine from our public library, for free!) Thanks again for being so awesomely generous with your talent!

Rock star! It looks incredible–definitely worth the trouble. And I'm sure once it's gotten plenty of love and has been washed a few times it will flatten out. what did you use for the binding? Solid orange?

It must make you so proud to see all of our finished Novas in a row! It was a fantastic quilt-along. Thanks again!

14. Anna
    Anna says:

it's totally beautiful! good to know on the quilting, it looks super fabulous. I don't have much patience for monotonous quilting, but it looks so pretty!

15. Kristie
    Kristie says:

LOL! Mental institution quilting indeed! Because, I know you are HARDLY busy, why not quilt the bejeezus out of that thing! Did it take you 30 hours? Well, time well spent, it looks amazing and you still seem coherent, so it's all good 🙂 ANd I L-O-V-E the back!

16. Kristen
    Kristen says:

Love this!!! It is still on my to do list this summer! The quilting is great!
    I had a quilt that was densely quilted and it was a bit wiggly too! Nobody can tell if it is wrapped around you keeping you warm!!

17. Dianne Neale
    Dianne Neale says:

This quilt really jumped out at me the first time I saw it – I'm definitely going to try it in the next few months, just got to clear up a few WIP's!
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do the Quilt along. It must've been quite a headache.

18. Eileen
    Eileen says:

Fantastic! Love your pattern and the fabrics. Colors are great and grey for the background really works well. Thanks for sharing. Might have to try this. Have a great day!

19. Lori
    Lori says:

Wow! Great work on providing such inspiration and guidance to yield all those fabulous, colorful results! When I blur my eyes looking at the collection, I can almost see a constellation 🙂

I'll make one of these lovelies some day…too much on right now to have participated in the QAL, but I know it's here when it's my time. Thanks for that.

20. Leanne
    Leanne says:

Your finished quilt is wonderful! I love the dense lines and I am glad you hung in to finish them. The mosaic also looks great! This pattern is one you can be so proud of, thank you for sharing it in the quilt along.

21. Kelly
    Kelly says:

Lee This quilt turned out so nice! It has been really fun seeing them all over blogland. And good for you going a little crazy on the quilting. We've got to try the hard stuff every once in a while!

22. Lotti
    Lotti says:

A gorgeous quilt, I subscribe to your blog but am loving the Bloggers Quilt Festival, it's my first! Lovely seeing all the other quilts that were quilted along with you

23. meli B
    meli B says:

It looks great. I wouldn't stress about the bumps. I hate it when it happens but the more you use the quilt, the more it kind of sorts itself out. Fab colours.

24. Marjorie
    Marjorie says:

Fantastic design! One of the few quilts so far this Festival that made me slow down and read for details. I will be adding it to my "to do" list. Thanks for sharing!

Newer Comments »