WIP Wednesday #28

Hey, it’s Wednesday, and I’m cracking the WIP again …

New projects:
Bee blocks
Angela sent each of us in the Sew Beautiful Bee these cool blue lovelies. The instructions were to create a block that felt like “me.” This has led to a good bit of soul searching about who exactly “I” am when it comes to quilting. I don’t think I have a recognizable style, like Rita from Red Pepper Quilts—her work is usually instantly identifiable as hers. Nor does there seem to be any common design thread in the things that I make. Am I over-thinking this? At any rate, I’ll let you know when I do find out who I am. Or run out of time for making the block, whichever comes first. : )

Teacher gifts – lunch bags
Hey, look what arrived the other day from Spoonflower: It’s my rain boot fabric that I designed for Project Selvage! I’m not 100% satisfied with the scale of the design, so I might make some modifications there, but other than that, it turned out beautifully. It is now destined to become end-of-year gifts for my daughter’s preschool teachers. I had been planning to make Ayumi’s fabric baskets, which I also made for the Make Mine Modern swap, but when I went to locate the tutorial on her blog, I noticed her Lunch Bag tutorial and decided those would be perfect! Long-time readers might remember that I’m not much of a bag maker, and I need to get three of these bad boys done by Friday, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Secret project
Inspiration struck the other night, but I’m not sure what exactly will become of this one, so I’m keeping it under wraps for now.

Completed tops awaiting quilting:
Hope Valley (the original Supernova)

Completed quilts awaiting binding:
Modern Meadow

On hold:
Central Park jelly roll quilt
Figgy Pudding quilt
Wonky Log Cabin

This week’s stats:
New projects – 3 (crap)
Completed projects – 1 (the final scrappy placemat)
Currently in progress – 11 (up two from last week)

Finally, just an FYI: Next week, WIP Wednesday will be taking a little trip to Elizabeth’s house! Next week’s linky will be at Don’t Call Me Betsy, while I take a little blogging break for a few days to concentrate on a WIP I am truly dreading: Potty training. Thank you for guest-hosting, Elizabeth! I will have a link to her blog on that day, so you don’t have to remember or change where your button links to or anything like that–just wanted you all to know the plan. And we’ll be back to our regularly scheduled programming right here the following week.

Your turn now! 1) Please link to a post from the past week containing a work in progress. Yep, I’m the weirdo who doesn’t want a linky full of finishes. : ) It’s okay if your post contains finishes, but it must also contain at least one unfinished item. 2) Please link back to my blog in your post. 3) Comment on some of the other links. 4) Enjoy!

1. Kerstin
    Kerstin says:

I love that fabric of yours, the rainboots are adorable, especially that little frog. Good luck with the bag making and the potty training!

2. Julie
    Julie says:

We just started really concentrating on potty training our daughter the last couple of days so I'm with you there! Good luck! Can't wait to see your secret project, I hope it works out!

3. Linz
    Linz says:

I am loving the spoonflower fabric! So cute!! Aren't secret projects fun?! I love it when that inspiration hits! Good luck and I already can't wait to see it!

4. Becky
    Becky says:

oh geez, I would have a hard time finding a block that is "ME" too. I think I would probably just do a block style that I like. Love that rain boots fabric, it's adorable.

5. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

That's so awesome about your Spoonflower fabric arriving!! And you can totally make three bags, I'm pulling for you. Good luck deciding on what to make for Angela's block, you'll find something that says "you." What about a kissy fish block? Oh, and I can't wait to see your secret project, hmmm…

6. A.J. Dub.
    A.J. Dub. says:

LOL Love that you are cracking that WIP! The blue fabrics are beautiful! I look forward to seeing that creation!
    Good luck with your bags! Your fabrics are so cute!

7. rubyslipperz
    rubyslipperz says:

it's been a loooong while since i was doing potty-training (don't miss those days lol). Spoonflower is so awesome…it is just the neatest thing that anyone can make their design dreams come true! your rain boots are adorable!
    best wishes on all your projects =D

8. Marlene @ KISSed Quilts
    Marlene @ KISSed Quilts says:

Can you put a fussy cut piece of YOUR fabric into the 'blues' block? I feel like my own style is all over the board since I like to design for other people and their interests are so eclectic on a combined basis….so I hear you when struggling to find an identity within quilting. Look forward to seeing what you come up with…just do what you love.

I've been going through the exact same thoughts with Angela's block. I've really struggled with what I want to make. Only a few days to go. I've got to decide.

10. Marci Girl
    Marci Girl says:

It is so nice to see your rain boots fabric actually printed, it looks great! Have fun potty training, I guess I should technically do the same thing next week, I just keep putting it off….

11. Becky
    Becky says:

LOL I hope you don't think it's just going to take a week LOL! I had 2 in diapers for over a year, as my 2 boys are so close together in age. It's such a nice thing though when they are finally potty trained… so worth any work and accidents. Good luck!

12. Kelly
    Kelly says:

Thanks for hosting as always! you're rainy day boots turned out super cute, how cool is that to have a fabric from your imagination! Good luck with potty training!

13. Melissa
    Melissa says:

Oooohhh!! Those blues are SO pretty! It's hard to define "me", so I don't think you're overthinking it at all! 🙂 For my bee month, I'm going to ask my fellow worker bees to make a block that says "California" to them because when we started, we all lived in California, and now I've moved away, so I want a commemorative quilt. 🙂
    Oh, and good luck with the potty training. I've got to do that, too, once the weather warms up a bit more.

14. Lotti
    Lotti says:

We have just done potty training here, I was dreading it but he took to it like a duck to water, I think if you are both ready then there is nothing to worry about, good luck.
    Love the rain boots, so sweet

15. Linda
    Linda says:

I really like your rain boot fabric! Can I ask what program you used for the graphics? I would love to learn to make graphics that look that nice and clean. (sorry for the double post, blogger is giving me headaches)

16. Kate @SwimBikeQuilt
    Kate @SwimBikeQuilt says:

I know what you mean about style–there are a few quilters out there that you look at their quilt and you don't even need to see a name! Good luck with the block. And congrats on almost 80 people linking up so far. 🙂

17. Kimberly White
    Kimberly White says:

Wow your spoonflower fabric is gorgeous! I'm sure the teacher gifts will turn out wonderfully! I just remembered that this afternoon … got to think about something thoughtful for my son's teacher – she's so very great!

18. Lydia
    Lydia says:

Lovin the blues especially the one in the middle. So pretty.
    Thanx so much for the linky. I come here every week for inspiration from other blogs and yours of-course 😉

Love your spoonflower boots. And what about a Supernova block for your bee? That's very "you"!

Good luck with the potty training. My unsolicited advice is don't make it a battle. If there's resistance, retreat and wait til they're ready.

20. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Love your boots! Good luck with potty training. My daughter (now 9) trained early, then completely stopped after about a month. I always told my hubbie it was like she was saying, "Oh, you want me to do this all the time? I don't think so." She did get it, just later.

21. Rachel Hauser
    Rachel Hauser says:

I fully appreciate your "3 new projects = crap" comment. A new project (complete with hand quilting) arrived on my doorstep today. But, when they're good, you just can't say no!

22. Marsha S
    Marsha S says:

sheesh! I just realized I forgot to hook up in the linky but I see it's closed now. Oh well, always next week and your button is still on my blog post.
    You always have so many great projects going. I see the placemat tutorial so I need to hop back over there and save it to favorites to check out when I have time.

23. Caitlin
    Caitlin says:

Hi! I'd like to start participating in WIP Wednesday, and I wrote my first post and linked to Don't call me betsy, cause I guess that's who hosted it yesterday, but I don't know how to do the thing with the pictures and links of everybody else's WIPS… Can you tell me how to do that?