, , ,

Farmer’s Wife QA, Week 3

IMG_5154-1

I’m going to follow Elizabeth‘s lead and post my Farmer’s Wife Quilt Along blocks every Tuesday. Like Elizabeth, I’m doing the blocks in order, and like Elizabeth, I appreciate the idea of a weekly schedule for them. Ah, it’s nice not to be the only order freak in blogland. : ) This week’s blocks: Bat Wing and Big Dipper.

I like how the Bat Wing block turned out, but what’s up with the corners of the block being rounded? I know the rounded corners on the templates are supposed to be helpful, but I’m not used to that, so it just seems to be screwing me up. But the block still turned out to be the right size, so I guess I can’t complain.

Big Dipper is okay, although I do wish I had chosen fabrics with a little more contrast. They looked good next to each other, but in the completed block they’re getting lost in each other a bit. Oh well—I suppose it won’t hurt to have some blocks like this once the entire quilt is put together.

Next week’s blocks look a bit more challenging, especially when it comes to choosing the right fabric. Looking forward to it though!

1. marjorie
    marjorie says:

Lee' I think your blocks lookd wonderful…very nice colours…I wish I had the book already; but maybe next time….can't wait to see the next ones..

2. Anna
    Anna says:

really pretty! there's a lot of blocks, so order is definitely helpful. 🙂 I don't even know if I'm going to start any even though I ordered the book.

3. tusen
    tusen says:

I love your fabric choices. And although I'm still not joining the Farmer's Wife QA it's great to see so many different interpretations of the blocks.

4. merumo
    merumo says:

I've been trying to resist myself from starting this fun QAL for weeks, but as seeing your lovely blocks, it'll be a quite challenge for me not to join…

5. LynCC
    LynCC says:

I love your FW fabrics!! Unlike Merumo, I have no trouble not joining this one (since I'll be starting a Dear Jane in August). But I sure do ***Love*** watching you other gals work on Farmer's Wife! THanks for sharing

6. pasqueflower
    pasqueflower says:

Love your blocks! The colors are so bright and cheery–giving an old pattern an upbeat, modern feel.

I really do need to nudge my little quilt group to do the Farmer's Wife quilt. You are an inspiration! Thanks for the post.

LeAnn aka pasqueflower

7. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

I think your blocks look great, but I see what you mean about the contrast on the Big Dipper. My Batwing has rounded edges too! It's those darned templates!!! And you know me, I like a nice routine, even in my crafty life 🙂

8. Sarah @ FairyFace Designs
    Sarah @ FairyFace Designs says:

I really like your blocks, and love the fabrics you're using. When I originally saw this qal I wasn't that interested but now that I see how your blocks are turning out – and a few other people's! – I'm kind of wishing I had time for it!

9. Kelli
    Kelli says:

Nothing wrong with a little order. I'd also work my way through the book, otherwise some would never get done! 😉 Yours look really great.

10. Laura
    Laura says:

I've done one block and I'm not big on the rounded corners either; they're screwing me up too. I find them harder to align.

I'm kinda winging it with colour – using the scrap stash!

11. Kelly Rachel
    Kelly Rachel says:

You have done an amazing job so far with your colours! Can't wait to see next week's lot.
    I like your sense of order. I may just have to follow your example. 🙂 I just received my book though, so this week is catch up!