, , ,

Farmer’s Wife Quilt-Along Underway

So, this Farmer’s Wife Quilt-Along. You know how everybody’s saying that these blocks are so addictive? Believe it. It’s all true!

If you’re on the fence about this QA, I’m here to tip you over, because this is going to be a fun one. Long, but fun. : ) I think I’m in love with my first four blocks! Don’t let the template situation scare you off. It’s actually not nearly as much of a pain as I expected. I’m just printing the templates I need as I go. Not a big deal at all.

And having made all four of them this afternoon (from start to finish, including making the templates), I’m now very confident I can keep up with the two-blocks-per-week schedule. Who knows, I might even get ahead (gasp).

I’ve never done anything remotely this traditional, but I enjoyed putting a modern spin on the blocks with my fabric choices. And since I’ve done so little traditional piecing, I have a feeling I’ll learn a lot from this project.

1. Melinda
    Melinda says:

Ooh, Lee, love how your fabrics look for this one. They really give traditional blocks a modern feel. I would love to do it, but with Skill Builders, Embroidery 101, and all the quilts I have half done, I've got to see some finishes. Maybe after I finish a few I can jump in a little late.

2. Cristin
    Cristin says:

They're lovely!
    Question: are you trimming each block to 6.5" as you go? I made my first two today and they are NOT exactly 6.5" square. Maybe I need to work on my accuracy a tad too 🙂 Cheers!

3. Bree
    Bree says:

I'm standing my ground on saying no to this one, but I'll live vicariously through you! LOVE the fabrics you've chosen & I can't wait to see the rest of your blocks.

4. BaileyGirl5
    BaileyGirl5 says:

Love them! I just got the book today and can't wait to get started. A little stumped on how to use templates but it's all a learning experience for me. You've totally inspired me and I can't wait to get sewing some adorable little blocks.

Ooh, gorgeous! I love the colors of the prints you chose, and also the scale of the prints works nicely with the pattern! It will be fun to see more blocks for the quilt, as I'm not making one myself but want to live vicariously through others!

6. Leila
    Leila says:

I feel myself tipping! If only I wasn't up at this hour getting my tutorial ready for tomorrow I would be totally tipped. I might tip anyway. 🙂 Your blocks are beautiful.

7. Sue Bone
    Sue Bone says:

Beautiful fabric choice and yes you did tip me over the edge and I've joined in too.

I'm loving the foundation piecing files over at the yahoo group.

8. Nancy D.
    Nancy D. says:

Love the fabric you've used. I bought the book at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon, so I may try to work on these. I won't be able to keep up with the QAL, but I love seeing all the different variations of fabric choices.

9. Carla
    Carla says:

Those blocks looks so pretty Lee! Are you sticking with a certain fabrics scheme or are you going scrappy? I just purchased the book yesterday, on sale :o), and I need to play catch-up this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

10. Cindy
    Cindy says:

Lee, they're BEAUTIFUL! The fabrics are fantastic with the pattern – fresh yet old-school. Really nicely done. I can't wait to see what is next!

I just finished a trad sampler not long ago, so I'd like to do this QAL in 2012 when I recover from my last trad quilt. I'll be a little behind you 🙂

11. Laura
    Laura says:

Those blocks look easy enough, actually. I fell off the fence yesterday and ordered the book – it should be here early next week. I love samplers; they're probably my favourite type of quilt.

12. Live a Colorful Life
    Live a Colorful Life says:

Your fabric choice is awesome! It's making me reconsider what I'm planning on doing. So I'll make a couple blocks and then make the hard decisions. (HB's pop garden and bijoux are some of my most favorite fabrics ever!)