WIP Wednesday #32

IMG_5157

Hit it …

New projects:
We Can Do It! Skill Builder Sampler Quilt-Along
This QA features three blocks per month, each one selected to teach certain quilting skills. It’s a quilt class and a quilt-along, two for the price of one. Perfect for beginners or those who just want to brush up (click here for more info). Our first block was this basic log cabin.

I think I’ve already mastered the skills being taught here—accurate cutting and a 1/4″ seam. But would you believe I’ve never made a log cabin block like this? Nope. I’ve made plenty of wonky, drunk-love-style blocks (like this one, this one, and this one), but never a good old-fashioned l.c. And this is exactly why I wanted to do this quilt-along. I taught myself to quilt almost entirely by reading blogs. While it’s a fun and effective way to learn, I’m guessing I’ve missed things here and there. : ) Or maybe, just maybe, I’m doing a few things “wrong.” Since Leila’s quilt-along is as close as I’m likely to get to a basic quilting class, it seems like time well-spent.

Ongoing projects:
Warm Cool Quilt-Along
266 HSTs, sewn, pressed, and trimmed. I’m now seeing HSTs in my sleep. The top is this close to being done, so stay tuned.

Farmer’s Wife Quilt-Along
Click here for this week’s blocks. I’m all caught up on this one.

Completed tops awaiting quilting:
Hope Valley (the original Supernova)

Completed quilts awaiting binding:
Modern Meadow

On hold:
Secret project (on hold while I reconsider fabric selections)
Figgy Pudding quilt
Wonky Log Cabin

This week’s stats:
New projects – 1
Completed projects – 0
Currently in progress – 10

Let’s link ’em up and move ’em out. Remember, link back here, and comment, comment, comment!

1. Linz
    Linz says:

Love your LC block! I have made small ones, but this was my first large one! I like em!

I can see why you are seeing HST everywhere you go! LOL!!

Great WiPs! I LOVE your Farmers Wife blocks! They are awesome!

2. Sweet Pea
    Sweet Pea says:

Hi Lee, thanks for the opportunity to share my work with you and all your followers. Sometimes one needs an inspiration to keep on blogging! Especially when the cold winter hits hard and keeps one hunkered down! Looks like you manage to keep busy no matter what time of year.

3. noga quilts
    noga quilts says:

Hi Lee, It's great that you didn't learn quilting the old fashioned way, that's why your quilts are so creative and special!

Thanks again for hosting this event, giving us the opportunity to meet others and to share our work.

4. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Really? I had no idea you hadn't done a straight up LC before. My first real LC blocks were those blocks I made for the baby quilt I finished last week. I really like the fabrics you used. And 266 HSTs? Holy moly!!! I can totally understand why you're seeing HSTs in your sleep!!

5. Melinda
    Melinda says:

Love your LC block Lee. I'm doing Skill Builder for the same reason, but I have been quilting a lot less time than you so I need a lot more instruction! Wow, 266 HST's! I don't think I had quite that many on my X quilt!

6. Bree
    Bree says:

Your log cabin looks great! I need to make mine, can't be falling behind already. 😉 And 266 HSTs? I certainly don't envy the ironing you had to do for all those!

7. Leanne
    Leanne says:

Love your log cabin! I am going to do the skill builder for the same reasons as you, just have to settle on some fabrics or a colour or something to hold it together over time.

8. Marg
    Marg says:

I haven't made a straight log cabin either. Lots of wonky ones though. Wow so many HST's. How do you find time to work on your sewing?
    Thanks too for the opportunity to share my work and to be able to see lots of inspiration on other blogs.

9. Sandy
    Sandy says:

One of these days, when I truly retire I would love to try my hand at quilting again. When I made a few quilts I just sorta did it, by the seat of my pants, with no special or real quilt type stitches. I did do it by hand, and I did quilt the top and enjoyed it. But, with all the yarn projects, well…time is never enough.

Love the peach/coral square, very pretty.

10. Caitlin
    Caitlin says:

I am also a self-taught sewist/quilter. When I decided I wanted to really get into quilting a little over a hear ago, I signed myself up for a quilting basics class. It was enjoyable and slightly informative, but the other participants were people who really should have been in the "sewing machine – driver's ed" class. They required a lot more hands-on assistance, while I just zoomed through the book and was the first(only) to finish my sampler quilt within the class… I'm glad I did it, though. I ended up buying a fancy new machine when it was over 🙂

11. dee
    dee says:

I have so enjoyed watching your FWQA blocks take shape. The colors are as fresh as a new, summer morning full of sunshine!

12. Debbie
    Debbie says:

First time at a log cabin, huh? I'm not to far ahead of you. A sort of rite of passage! 🙂
    Love you hst! I'm in the midst of a bunch myself!

13. M-R
    M-R says:

Wow, you are busy! Great block, Lee. It's fun to see a tradirional block made with such modern and fun fabric. Thanks for hosting!

14. Marlene @ KISSed Quilts
    Marlene @ KISSed Quilts says:

Great to see your WIP's and everybody elses for that matter….I'm finishing up my McCall's Design Star 2011 Challenge #1 today and will be able to blog about it after Friday when the reveal is done on their website. I hope everybody will come out and vote! Check my blog for a voting link sometime during the weekend. http://kissedquilts.blogspot.com Thanks! My Profile on the McCall's site includes my quilt-along participation in Supernova.

Holy HSTs Batman! I can completely understand why you're seeing them in your sleep! Can't wait to see more of this…I am with you on learning to quilt via blogs…I took one class at Joann's but it was basic basic basic, Im looking at the FW QAL like a teaching tool too with more traditional piecing. Everythign looks great!!

16. Marsha S
    Marsha S says:

oh! that quilt along sounds perfect for something I should do. Alas, I have so many things I'm trying to catch up on now I just can't add something else to do right now.

17. Julie
    Julie says:

Does anybody else have Sheryl Crow's All I Wanna Do stuck in there head too?

Hit it!
    This ain't no disco…
    This ain't no country club either…
    This is L.A.

Lol! Awesome stuff as always Lee!

18. Laura
    Laura says:

Your log cabin looks great! It was one of the first six blocks I ever made. I tend towards the more traditional blocks though!

19. Kate S.
    Kate S. says:

The skill-builder QAL looks like it will be a great way to learn lots of new techniques! I look forward to seeing what else you do with it 🙂

Comments are closed.