WIP Wednesday #42

IMG_6863

Well, it was a catch-up week for me. I caught up on my quilt-alongs, I finished up my August bee blocks and other obligations, and now I’m turning my attention to September. I’ve got some quilting in my very near future!

Ongoing projects:

Skill Builder Sampler Quilt-Along – currently caught up

I had two blocks to do this week, after missing last week’s. The first, the “Breaking Out” pinwheel block, is one I’ve actually done before, for a bee. As per Leila’s instructions, this time I used the “Magic Method” for making flying geese. This was a completely new technique to me, and I loved how fast it was. It does seem a bit magical—one minute they look nothing like flying geese, then suddenly … there it is! Unfortunately I didn’t find this process to be as accurate as my usual corner-to-corner method of making flying geese. So this block is a little wonkeriffic. But I love my fabric choices, and it’s a fabulous block design regardless.

I went back to my tried-and-true corner-to-corner method for the next block, “Double Star.” I think this might be my favorite block of the QA so far. I LOVE how mine came out! I ended up using my light print for the outer corners instead of the dark print, and I really like how that looks. Don’t you just love it when one little change can make an entire block look so different? Why yes, I am a design nerd, why do you ask? : )

Farmer’s Wife Quilt-Along – currently caught up

26 blocks complete, 85 to go. Click here to read about this week’s blocks.

Completed tops awaiting quilting:

Summer Sampler Series top

Hexing Around (Do. Good Stitches quilt)

I pieced the back tonight, and I’m ready to baste this one tomorrow. Any thoughts on how I should quilt it? Standard FMQ? Straight lines? I don’t think I’m up for anything too fancy here …

Hope Valley

No progress:

Kaleidoscope QA
Secret project

Figgy Pudding quilt

Wonky Log Cabin

This week’s stats:

Completed projects – 0

Currently in progress – 10

Okay, let’s see your WIPs! Link up any post from the past week featuring an unfinished work-in-progress. Please don’t forget to link back to my blog in your post, and comment on some of the other links. Have a wonderful week. : )

1. Live a Colorful Life
    Live a Colorful Life says:

I think those two top blocks are great. Love the fabric choices. And yes it IS cool how changing the fabric/value of a fabric can change the whole entire block! Your Hexing Around is still one of my favorite innovative blocks. Very cool!

2. Nicky
    Nicky says:

I am seeing zigzags between the hexagons – would that work as an overall pattern?

No wonder you are pleased with your blocks – they are gorgeous, stunning. Love your reverse version of the star! Dare to be different!

3. Sweet Pea
    Sweet Pea says:

Hello Lee, thanks again for hosting. Your colours are always unusual and very well chosen. Love your hexing around. Yes, quilting options are always a difficult decision for me too…I think if I was to machine quilt this one myself I'd opt for free motion quilting.
    The reason I love to hand quilt is that I can go for more detail without the hassle of trying to manipulate such a large project on the machine! Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll turn out something exquiste.

4. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Ooooh, I love, love, love your double star!! So pretty! As for quilting your Hexing Around quilt, I vote for some standard FMQ – it's good practice and I think it'll let those super cool blocks really shine.

5. Danielle
    Danielle says:

Hi Lee – I'm loving your triple pinwheel block! I also recently discovered the magic flying geese method and I'm hooked! Thanks for hosting!

6. Melinda
    Melinda says:

I love that double star! I was raving about it on my blog too, but I REALLY love how you did yours. I did the same version but I like your alterations to it! This is definitely one I want to use again. I used the magic method on mine and, I agree, a little wonky. I'll remember next time.

7. Kerstin
    Kerstin says:

Both your blocks are lovely, and I also like the quilt very much. Thanks for hosting, it's great to link up again after such a long time!

I love both of those blocks!! Great fabrics for both. I'm always a fan of some good ole fashion FMQ, wavy lines might be nice too…can't wait to see what you decide!

9. Letterpress
    Letterpress says:

Of course, everyone is gaga on that Double Star block–first you see it and then you don't! Excellent choice of fabrics and colors–lovely.

I'm impressed that you are all caught up. So often we feel the mountain of projects just weighing down our shoulders, so it's nice to be able to breathe for a second and say "all caught up."

I have no quilting ideas on that beautiful quilt of yours–but I'll be following along to see what you choose.

Elizabeth E.

10. Marsha S
    Marsha S says:

You skill building blocks look great. I like the 2nd one best.
    I enjoy looking through what others are doing each week to keep me inspired, and to learn new things.
    I have such a limited amount of time each week to even get my sewing machine out. I wish I could sew, even for 10 or 15 minutes each day, 7 days a week.

11. mainer
    mainer says:

Love that hexie! When I did my Spider Web I did FMQ sqiggles in the webs and then straight lines on the solid areas. A LQS owner recommended feathers in the solid areas but I had never done them. Thus, the straight lines. Will be looking forward to seeing what you do.

12. Meredith
    Meredith says:

Love your double star block! I really like how the negative space is the first thing you see– very a-typical for that kind of block. (I'm a design nert too!)

Comments are closed.