WIP Wednesday #45

Welcome back to WIP Wednesday! Not much to report this week, since you all know what I’ve been working on lately, but here goes nothin’ …

My Connecting Threads fabric contest entry
Still plugging away, polishing up my designs and getting the files ready. Two more days to get it all done! I hope to be able to show them to you on Friday.

4×5 Bee blocks
So, you might think I’m crazy for tackling a block like this in the middle of the Connecting Threads time crunch. And you’re probably right. But honestly, I’ve enjoyed the break from all the intensive computer time. I actually find paper-piecing fun and relaxing (I’m weird like that), so these blocks are really hitting the spot right now.

I ended up doing the Oregon Star because one of my hive-mates chose this incredible mini-quilt by Mrs. McPorkchop as her “Favorite Block.” That mini has always been one of my favoritest faves myself, so I decided to look into the pattern for it. The pattern comes from the book 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars, by Carol Doak. I probably never would have given this book a second glance if it hadn’t been for Amanda’s mini, but once I got past the very traditional fabric used in the book, I realized the patterns had a lot of potential. I think I still love the Oregon Star the most, but you’ll probably be seeing a few of the other stars from me as well, sooner or later. In the meantime, I’ve got two 4×5 blocks done, three to go.

Completed tops awaiting quilting:
Summer Sampler
Hope Valley

No progress:
• Farmer’s Wife QA (on hold until October)
• Skill Builder QA (ditto)
• Kaleidoscope QA
• Figgy Pudding quilt
• Wonky Log Cabin

This week’s stats:
Completed projects – 0
New projects – 0
Currently in progress – 10

That’s it from me—now it’s your turn to share. Link up any post from the past week featuring any unfinished sewing project. Be sure to link back here to my blog and comment on at least a few of the other links. Enjoy!

1. Nonnie
    Nonnie says:

THE BEST BOOKS are the older books … they usually give the best instructions…are challenging… You just have to look past the dated colors and fabrics. YOU can also buy the older books cheaper at the quilt shows as older quilters clean up their book shelves. I pick up my best book for $2-5 at quilt shows.

If what is available now was available back then… there would be no Modern Quilt movement…as the older quilters would have used it all up….. I am beginning to think quilters are hostage to the local area / LQS you end up buying what they present…. Yes you can buy off the internet but that gets dicey unless you know what you want or need.

Nonnie's Quilting Dreams- Podcast

2. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Wow, that is an awesome block! I've seen that book once or twice, and have almost picked it up – now the next time I see it, I will have to pick it up! You're my hero, getting your fabric line done and whipping up awesome blocks like these! 🙂

3. Toni
    Toni says:

Awesome blocks! I came so close to buying that book off Amazon the other day, but decided to wait. I'll definitely have to check it out now. It's funny to think about all the insane planning and ideas that must be going on in your head right now if you find respite in piecing those blocks…

That star is just amazing, Love!! Isn't it funny how just the fabric can totally change the block, I find myself saying this with every Farmers Wife block too! Good luck with your finishing touches, can't wait to see what you have come up with, I know it will be just fabulous!

5. Letterpress
    Letterpress says:

You make such a good observation, that if we can freshen our fabric choices, each quilt will look completely new and amazing. And your block of that pieced star does look new and amazing. I also like Amanda's use of fabric to put a new twist on an older design.

Congrats to you for making it through the crunch!

Elizabeth E.

6. Poppyprint
    Poppyprint says:

Totally killer star blocks. Holy cow. I think that mini is in everyone's favs, but you've taken the block to a whole other level by adding the additional fabric in the points. Stunning!!!

7. Marsha S
    Marsha S says:

whew! 10 wip's….I suppose in reality I have that many as well. A lot of mine are no more than the material picked out though! I took this morning to work on things just to be able to get my post in. However, I put the computer on the floor while I cut and pinned and clicked on sites that all I had to do was click on!

8. Kelli
    Kelli says:

I can't get over those bee blocks. Absolutely stunning. If you ever just want to think we're in a bee together and make blocks for me, I can send you my address. 😉 Glad you're back!

9. æble
    æble says:

Your blocks look awesome! I'll have to keep them in mind when I'm ready to try p.p. I think this is the first time I've gotten through all of the links.