WIP Wednesday #47

IMG_7433-1

First of all, if you didn’t see the news, I got word Tuesday evening that I did not win the Connecting Threads contest. Well, such is life. Click here for my post about it and why I’m mostly okay with that (no, really!). I would not have been able to rest until I saw my fabric in actual quilting stores anyway. : )

Okay, moving on! How was your week? Mine was, um, a bit of a whirlwind (you know, there was that little thing called Sewing Summit). But let’s do the WIP run-down anyway, shall we?

New projects:

I’m not big on decorating for Halloween, and I don’t generally care for Halloween-themed fabric. And yet, I have been obsessed with making a Halloween quilt for the better part of the last year. I don’t quite understand it myself. But last year around this time I saw a tumbler quilt made up of orange and black prints. I can’t remember whose blog that was on (my apologies if it was yours), but for whatever reason, that quilt stuck in my head and I Simply. Must. Make it. Besides, those orange Katie Jump Rope prints are just begging to be in a Halloween project, and I know my girls will love having a seasonal quilt like this. So here are about 300 tumblers in Halloween colors—but no actual Halloween fabric in the bunch! I cut these last night in less than an hour with my Go! Baby cutter. Once again, the Go! Baby shines when it comes to odd shapes. Hopefully the piecing will go just as quickly.

Ongoing projects:
Elizabeth’s swap mini-quiltElizabeth, AnneMarie and I were roommates at Sewing Summit and decided to arrange a little in-person swap among the three of us for the occasion. I finished AnneMarie’s mini-quilt by the time I left, but try as I might, I just wasn’t able to get Elizabeth’s done. I felt terrible, but the Connecting Threads designs and September bee blocks just put me irreparably behind. Fortunately Elizabeth was super understanding about it, and I’m determined to finish it off and mail it to her by the end of the week. So here’s the start of Elizabeth’s mini. More on this tomorrow, as well as the item I finished for AnneMarie and what both girls made for me!

Completed tops awaiting quilting:
Summer Sampler
Hope Valley

No progress:
• Farmer’s Wife QA (still on hold)
• Skill Builder QA (yep, ditto)
• Kaleidoscope QA
• Figgy Pudding quilt
• Wonky Log Cabin

This week’s stats:
Completed projects – 1 (my swap project for AnneMarie – post on that tomorrow)
New projects – 1
Currently in progress – 10

You’re up! Let’s see what you’ve got. Link up any post from the past week featuring a work-in-progress. Have a wonderful week!

1. Live a Colorful Life
    Live a Colorful Life says:

I am convinced that at some point I WILL be buying fabric and on the selvage (and you KNOW how obsessed I am about selvages), it will read "…designed by Lee Heinrich for…" Seriously.

I have the tumbler die cut for the Accuquilt too. Awesome for little tumblers. This will be really cute.

Your mini quilt for Elizabeth is going to be stunning.

2. Diary of a Flutter.Kat
    Diary of a Flutter.Kat says:

Sorry to hear that you didn't win – but I have no doubt that you will push through and have your fabric line be printed.
    That star is stunning! It is going to be fabulous!
    And don't even get me started on how jealous I am of the Sewing Summit 🙂 Why is Australia so far away again?!

3. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Yippee about working on my mini 🙂 I love those star blocks, they are SO cool – I am absolutely on the hunt for the star book now! Love the idea of a tumbler quilt, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

4. Toni
    Toni says:

I'm not a big Halloween decorator either, but I can't wait to see that quilt! And I love the start of your mini for Elizabeth. Those stars are great!

5. Carla
    Carla says:

Bummer :o( I really like your fabric. I'm the same when it come to halloween. I did make a small lap quilt with wonky blocks for the kids but it's pretty much it. I curious to see what your black/orange blocks will look like once all pieced.

6. randi
    randi says:

well, as far as your fabric line, it was only your first time trying. i do hope that you continue to go for it. who knows? maybe at spring quilt market you can unveil something! 🙂

i am looking forward to seeing your orange and black quilt.

7. Flo @ Butterfly Quilting
    Flo @ Butterfly Quilting says:

I am so sorry that you didn't win…I thought your collections was amazing! But you actually win anyway, as you say, you have jumped into the unknown world of design with great success. I am sure there is more wonderful and exciting things coming in the future.

8. Rebecca Lynne
    Rebecca Lynne says:

I agree with Cindy from Live a Colorful Life – someday we will all have a toast over a piece of your selvage! Everything happens for a reason so give it time and it'll all work out when it is supposed to. In the meantime that star rocks…Can't wait to see the rest of that mini-quilt!

9. Marci Girl
    Marci Girl says:

Can't wait to see your Halloween quilt once it is together, I like you wasn't into that sort of thing until recently, so I made myself a table runner and 2 potholders to try and settle that craving! LOL

10. Rachel
    Rachel says:

Hi, I am your newest follower – I am also a quilter in Wisconsin. I am really enjoying your blog, love the WIP Weds. I may have to do my own post, it might be good motivation!

11. Marsha S
    Marsha S says:

I looked at the Halloween fabric and thought of buying some. Then I thought I would rather wait until after Halloween when it will be marked down.

12. elizabeth
    elizabeth says:

I added a tumbler block mini to your link up and I used my Go! Baby(first time). Isn't is fun and easy and fast : ) The blocks go together without pins….I am not a big Halloween fabric person either, but I do like what you have picked out. Thanks for the linky party.

13. Kelli
    Kelli says:

I love your Halloween quilt. I have one piece of themed Halloween fabric that my Aunt wrapped their Halloween goodie bags in last year. I saved it, but I don't have much orange and black yet either. Oh well!

14. Jenniffier
    Jenniffier says:

Sorry to hear about your fabric not winning, however, you did do a wonderful job. Oh and I really really like you block for Elizabeth. It looks wonderful! Can't wait to see it finished.

15. Rachel
    Rachel says:

Can't wait to see your Halloween quilt! I'm gathering black and orange fabrics for a similar project. Best of luck with your fabric line!

Comments are closed.