, ,

Original Supernova Quilt

Okay, get your fainting couches ready …
My Original Supernova quilt is finally finished! Only fourteen months after I started it.
Tomorrow marks a whole year of WIP Wednesday linky posts. One year! And I thought, what better way to celebrate than to haul out one of my longest-term WIPs and actually finish the darn thing? Also motivating was a hilarious comment from Eryn on last week’s WIP Wednesday that if I didn’t finish off the Original Supernova soon, she was going to find out where I live and swipe it. Well, here it is Eryn—swiper no swiping!
The front is made up entirely of Hope Valley prints by Denyse Schmidt, Kona Snow as the background, and Kona Stone for the star “extenders” and binding.
I pieced this differently than the method I used for my Supernova quilt-along. Original Supernova is pieced entirely from squares and HSTs. It is also much smaller than my QA Supernova—Original Sup is 48″ square, with each Supernova block finishing at 12″ square.
I came up with the alternate way of piecing this for the quilt-along to eliminate the HSTs and give people fewer squares to piece. But I think there are benefits to this method as well. I definitely recommend this method if you have a lot of directional fabric, because the other way requires a lot of advance planning to coordinate the direction of the prints. If I were going to make this quilt again, I think I’d go back to this original method, but I would increase the size like I did for the QA, and I would use Thangles to piece the HSTs.
PTS Redo
Speaking of Thangles, I have to add one more thing to this post: Check out this a-MAZ-ing pillow made by Amy of Don’t You Know Who I Am? These are the TINIEST Supernova blocks EVER! Each block measures just 7″, with each teeny square 1″ finished! Amazing! She used Thangles for her piecing as well.
Anyway, I’m so happy to have Original Supernova in the “finished” column at long last. The top has actually been done for just under one full year. It’s also worth noting that this is my 10th finished full-size quilt of the year—I just need to complete two more by the end of the year to meet my goal of 12 quilts in 2011! Woo hoo!
Be sure to come back tomorrow for my big anniversary celebration of WIP Wednesday. There will be a giveaway for everyone who links up, and a special “retrospective”. You won’t want to miss it!

Woo hoo! I'm so glad to see this one finished. I've been in love with this quilt since I first saw it, and my own Supernova is probably my favorite quilt. Hooray!

Swiper no swiping! 🙂

2. Susan
    Susan says:

Congratulations on your Supernova! Never tire of viewing Supernovas – they are without a doubt my favorite. 🙂 PS I know I owe you an email reply!

3. beaquilter
    beaquilter says:

what an AWESOME quilt, shame it can to wait a year to be completed 🙂
    Oh I have SOME too that I want to finish…. now is a good a time as any I guess, oh wait I just got some NEW fabrics in the mail today!!

4. Toni
    Toni says:

Yay!! Congratulations on getting it finished AND a whole year of WIP Wednesdays! That quilt is one of my favorites and it must feel great to get to put a fat black line through it on the list!

5. Elizabeth D.
    Elizabeth D. says:

Oh, yay!! I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not when you mentioned finishing this one up for Wednesday 😉 It looks so fab, the Kona Stone works perfect with your DS prints. Yay for a finish!

6. occasionalpiece
    occasionalpiece says:

You're funny. And fun!

Looking forward to tomorrow and your anniversary celebration. This exploding star/fireworks is perfect for a party celebration! Congrats on getting it to the finish line.

Elizabeth E.

7. Dianne Neale
    Dianne Neale says:

This is still my favourite quilt. My friend wanted me to make her a quilt, and when she saw this, she instantly wanted it. So I have just bought a full FQ set of Hope Valley (with her money) to make it – Hooray. And there might just be enough left over for one for me! I'm a bit late to the party but can't wait to get started.

8. capitolaquilter
    capitolaquilter says:

Congratulation on finishing. I feel a little less guilty that my poor top sits unfinished and on the to do list still. This is an inspiration to dust if off and take it on. BYW: I like your new buddy icon.