January Bee Blocks

6744768987_be6916d1ec_b-1

Wait, it’s January 23, and I’m already posting my bee blocks for the month? That’s got to be a record! This month’s blocks were a lot of fun, and all over the map stylistically, which was nice.

Envy block for Rebecca

First, the girls from the Milwaukee Modern Quilt Guild have started a new local bee that I’m taking part in. Rebecca, who blogs at Pieces and Cream, was up first. She asked for the “Envy” block, designed by Angela in the 99 Modern Blocks book, and gave us fabric from one of my all-time favorite lines, Joel Dewberry’s Modern Meadow. This block is such a great example of simple but powerful modern design. It has fantastic movement to it, and repeated throughout a quilt, I expect it will be stunning! It does however involve the dreaded Y-seams, which I used in my Mod Times quilt. Y-seams aren’t complicated, exactly, but I do find it difficult to keep them straight and un-wonky-ish. In fact, one of the brown strips in this block is kind of making my eye twitch right now. Other than that, I love this block and hopefully Rebecca can work with it!

Carpenter Star for Cherie

For the Sew Beautiful bee, Cherie asked us for this Carpenter Star block in bright, springtime colors. She drafted this block herself to be intentionally Swoon-like, and while I love Swoon, I think I might love Cherie’s version even more! Yes, there are a lot of HSTs involved, but it makes a huge 18″ finished block, so just like Swoon, you don’t have to make a ton of blocks for a good-sized finished quilt.

LynneBobSquarePants for Lynne

For Stash Trad, Lynne asked for her beautiful LynneBobSquarePants block (tutorial here). This block has been on my to-do list forever, so I was happy to finally get a crack at it—and for Lynne herself. When you compare this block to Cherie’s Carpenter Star, you can see how endless the possibilities are with HSTs. They’re such a fun and versatile unit in quilting—if you haven’t yet learned how to make them (and make them well), it is absolutely worth the time to do it!

Polaroid block for Bree

Last but not at all least, Bree of My Crafty Crap asked for this fun Polaroid block for the String Me Along bee. I have to say, of all the blocks I’ve made for other people in the last year, this is the one I’ve been most tempted to keep for myself. : ) (Don’t worry Bree, it’ll be in the mail tomorrow!) This block was designed by Corey of Little Miss Shabby (here’s Corey’s original block), and Bree wrote up a tutorial for creating it, which you can find here.  Can’t wait to see how this quilt comes together for Bree!

Thanks, Lee, all your blocks look great! Funny, I tried to pick what I thought was an "easy" block for our first month. I've already gotten quite a few questions. Sorry for making your eye twitch, I think it looks fantastic 🙂

2. Nicole
    Nicole says:

These blocks are beautiful. My favorite is the Carpenter's Wheel. Those prints are just gorgeous. And I love those bright prints you used in the BobSquarePants block. And how cute is that Polaroid block. Love them.

3. April (Polkadot Sparrow)
    April (Polkadot Sparrow) says:

I've always loved the Carpenter Star and have schemed a few times to make it and it hasn't happened yet. You've motivated me to restart my efforts! Yours is lovely!

And the Polaroid block: why DIDN'T you keep it fo yo bad self! You could have made her another one! 😉 Very cool piece.

4. Danielle
    Danielle says:

Wow! They look fabulous. I do love an HST or two or twenty. Has to be the most versatile unit. And the Polaroid block is genius. I'm picturing this as a mini for my daughters bedroom! Danielle x

5. Melinda
    Melinda says:

Love your version of the Carpenter's Wheel, um, I mean, Swoon, er, I mean,…whatever! I still love the block! Your other blocks are gorgeous as well (as usual!).

6. Letterpress
    Letterpress says:

Fun to see these–can choose between them for a favorite! But if I have to. . . it's the Polaroid block, perhaps in homage to the Kodak Company which declared bankruptcy this month? And to remind of us all of how much we loved playing around with those developing pictures.

Elizabeth E.
    occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

7. Elizabeth Dackson
    Elizabeth Dackson says:

Oooh, yay for finishing early!! I love your block for Bree, and I love how you added your boots to it, so awesome. I can't wait to see how her quilt turns out. That Envy block is awfully interesting, too!

8. Vickie
    Vickie says:

These are so fun. Great work. These are wonderful treasures for each person! And the carpenter's wheel block is fabulous!! You would have to look very closely to see that it is different. I wonder which technique is easier. I am all about the shortest distance between two lines. ha! And the LynneBobSquarePants block is fabulous. The dark really makes the bright fabrics pop.

Comments are closed.