WIP Wednesday: Running In Place

wipwednesdaybutton

You know what’s super helpful when trying to make progress on WIPs? A sewing machine. You know what I don’t have right now? A SEWING MACHINE. Okay, I take that back—I don’t have my sewing machine. It’s been having some issues, and in the last week those issues escalated, so I reluctantly took my machine in for a tune-up on Monday. It’s been almost three years since the last one, so I guess she was due!Fortunately, I have a back-up. Here it is.

The Back-Up

Yes, I’m “sewing pretty with Hello Kitty” for at least the next week. This was my daughter’s big Christmas gift—it’s what we sewed Pumpkin the elephant on. One of my justifications for buying it was that it could serve as my back-up machine if mine ever broke down. And while it sews surprisingly well for the price, it’s not exactly my ideal situation. : ) So I don’t know how much I’ll get done in the next week, but at least I have something I can use.

Completed:
Bee blocks. I barely managed to squeak these out before my Babylock became unusable. If you missed the post about them, it’s here.

New projects:

Solids!

Solids project. Would you believe I’ve never made anything entirely from solids before? I am now! And how about this yummy color palette?

No progress:
• Hexy swap quilt
• Gen X Quilters’ Charmed Prints QA
• Halloween quilt
• Farmer’s Wife QA
• Skill Builder QA
• Kaleidoscope QA
• Figgy Pudding quilt
• Wonky Log CabinThis week’s stats:
Completed projects – 1
New projects – 1
Currently in progress – 10
Okay, let’s WIP it up. Show me what you got! Link up any post from the last week featuring a work-in-progress. Don’t forget to link back here and comment on other links. Happy sewing!
  1. Tanya
    Tanya says:

🙁 So sad to hear about you machine…mine was out of action for almost a month last year.I went quite mad. Do think your back up is very sweet 🙂

2. Tanya
    Tanya says:

Hi me again. Have had a few goes to link up. Each time it freezes at the pic adding bit. Have never had a problem before. If you end up with heaps of link to me I do apologize.
    Tanya @ Wee Little Birds

3. Bouts Choisis
    Bouts Choisis says:

Hi, Many thanks for hosting this linky party! I am new to sharing projects in this way – so I hope I have done everything right!I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is making! Lynne.

4. Marg
    Marg says:

Your back up machine is very cute, at least it's better than nothing I suppose!
    Looking forward to seeing your plans with the solids.

5. Elizabeth Dackson
    Elizabeth Dackson says:

Wow, this cold has apparently totally made me lose all sense of time, I didn't realize it was Wednesday today!! Gosh, E's machine looks oh-so-tiny, I hope your machine comes back from the shop soon! What are you up to with those solids? I love that wine-y one on the top!

6. Marjorie's Busy Corner
    Marjorie's Busy Corner says:

Oh Lee….good luck with Hello Kitty. You know; when I first started quilt, way back when…lol. I only pieced with solids…they were more available, good price,and hubby really likes 2 or 3 solids. Have fun.

7. Becky M
    Becky M says:

I've had my eye on those cute Hello Kitty machines as a backup! At least you can piece. Love that stack of solids, it's beautiful. Maybe plan on a lot of cutting this week. 🙂

8. Linz
    Linz says:

Oh, my goodness! Where did you get that machine!! My DD would LOVE that!! haha! Sorry for the sewing situation. At least it's just a week…

I love the color pallet for the solids! THat will be gorgeous!

Look at you sewing in style! At least your backup machine is too adorable! Hopefully your Babylock is back and ready for some action soon, love those solids, that palate is beautiful!!

10. Letterpress
    Letterpress says:

Ah, Lee. I love that machine! My little back-up machine (a Singer Genie) is now at my daughter's home so my granddaughter can use it. Hope you get your machine back soon.

Elizabeth E.
    occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

11. Leanne
    Leanne says:

You cannot know how much I love that little sewing machine, you are so lucky to have a daughter to get it for and then to borrow it from, it is just beyond cute.

12. Judee
    Judee says:

That little machine is darling. My little Janome serves me weel in times like these too. You will love working with solids. That is a great color palette.

13. Home Designs by Amanda
    Home Designs by Amanda says:

We looked at the even smaller sewing machines for our oldest…but decided against it this past Christmas, she's still a little young. I didn't know they had other sizes for girls…great idea for a back up 🙂

Thanks for hosting this party…I really enjoy this one!

14. Molly
    Molly says:

Hello Kitty! Love that- I would have a hard time not smiling as I sewed looking at all that green cuteness. Three cheers for back up machines, my back up is a Janome too and although it isn't my very favorite it does a great job and I am grateful to have it when my Bernina is out of commission. I love your color palette and can't wait to see what you come up with!

Sewing pretty with Hello Kitty! That made me giggle. I have a backup and I still am stalling on taking in my machine! Mainly because I am too lazy to take the time to learn how to thread the backup machine and all that jazz.

16. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

Cute machine! he he
    I really want to go to the sewing shop and put a machine on lay away. The good thing about the shop too is that with buying a machine there you get free classes on how to use it.
    My $60 Brother from Wal mart has served me well for over 3 years but I want to be able to do more.

Ahhhh! That machine is so precious! I love it. If it's any consolation, it looks A LOT prettier than the taupe and brown 1979 Singer Creative Touch 1030 that is my backup machine. It helps that is says "Fashion Machine" on the side as well.

18. Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting
    Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting says:

Glad you have a little Hello Kitty Back up Sewing Machine! Hope yours comes back soon! I can't imagine not having a back up machine. I have to admit I have 2 back up machines – plus other old ones I could use if I was desperate! Thanks again for hosting!

19. susbp
    susbp says:

Your temporary sewing machine is too cute! But I hope your BabyLock is back very, very soon! I am spoiled and have a Melody as a back up machine just in case my Espire needs to go in for servicing. Happy Sewing!!!

20. Susan
    Susan says:

I am linking for the first time, although I have enjoyed WIP Wednesday for quite a while. Thanks for the opportunity to share my WIPs and see all the terrific quilting by everyone else.

21. Kate
    Kate says:

Aw, I love the little machine! Of course, I sew all the time on a Janome with about the same functions, although not the elaborate paint job you've got going on there!

22. Linda
    Linda says:

I remember back in the early 1970's when my mom was shopping for a sewing machine, the stores let her take them home to try them out! She had a series of Singers and other brands that she sewed on for several days at a time. Don't you wish sewing machine dealers did that sort of thing now? Gosh, sometimes you get a loaner car from the car dealership, why not a loaner sewing machine from the sewing machine dealer?

23. Tsoniki Crazy Bull
    Tsoniki Crazy Bull says:

How do you like the HK sewing machine? I wanted to love it! I bought one for my daughter but it sewed wrong if you just looked at it funny. Maybe I got a bad machine, but it was a huge disappointment.

I made a quilt top from start to finish last week! But haven't posted about it yet because I've been too busy. Such is life. LOL

24. Cathy
    Cathy says:

Hi Lee. I am a new follower as of today. I wanted to introduce myself to you. I'm Cathy Buel and a member of the Quiltmaker Scrap Squad. I am finishing up the binding of my version of your Chain Reaction quilt. I love your quilt and was amazed that since it looked very complicated it wasn't. You designed a beautiful quilt. Hugs,

Cathy