Tripped Up

IMG_0085-1
So, how was my trip, you ask? Well, let’s see. Last week, the hubs and I moved heaven and earth to find a babysitter, spent too much money on a plane ticket, and dropped everything to travel 1,800 miles on very little notice to see both our favorite basketball teams in the Sweet 16 … and they both lost. No, they didn’t just lose … they got annihilated. Sigh. Sadness doesn’t cover it. Thursday was officially depressing.

But. Such is the life of a sports fan, right? We knew we were taking a chance on this. And some college kids bouncing a ball around is nothing to lose sleep over. Besides, McLurky and I were on our first no-kids-allowed trip together since long before Miss C was born. We had two whole days left in Arizona—what to do? Hey, I know—let’s go here:

We were just about as unprepared as two people can be for a trip to the Grand Canyon (okay, maybe with the exception of these two). All we had were flip flops and shorts and more college t-shirts than anyone should be allowed to own. The canyon would be a spur-of-the-moment trip within a spur-of-the-moment trip. But a quick stop for new shoes and outerwear at a mall in Flagstaff and we were in business.

Back in the day, the hubs and I used to do a fair amount of hiking. It was one of the things we bonded over when we were first dating. Some of our favorite places that we have hiked are Shenandoah National Park, the Grand Tetons, and Switzerland. But then two sweet little girls came along and changed things a bit. So it was incredibly nice to have the chance to participate in a hobby we’d almost forgotten existed. If you had told me two weeks ago that I’d be hiking the Grand Canyon on Saturday, I’d have laughed. Hard. Spontaneity isn’t in the vocabulary of a mother to small children. But yet, here we were. That alone was kind of awesome.

So we hiked about a mile and a half down into the canyon (and, more importantly, a mile and a half back up!). Of course, a mile and a half barely scratches the surface of that place, but it was a spectacular hike nonetheless.

We also got a couple of excellent meals in Phoenix—I highly recommend Matt’s Big Breakfast (which has been featured on Guy Fieri’s show) and Pizzeria Bianco. You will wait an exceptionally long time at both places (the wait can run up to four hours at Pizzeria Bianco), but you will get a meal that is so worth it in both cases.

This pizza right here? Was to die.

All in all, we had a great time, and you’ll get no arguments from me about this trip. Okay, I really wish we could have seen a win. Other than that, no arguments.

But I’ll forgive you for the devastating loss, Tom. One day. Maybe. : )

Yes, I’m liking Instagram these days. Come follow me—I’m freshlypieced.

It was a very sombre night in our house…GO warriors!!! I mean Golden Eagles!

And we like Tom too…good coach!

And the Grand Canyon always makes me giggle now. We took the boys on our way back from a trip on Lake Powell. There first reaction was "It is big." The second thing they said? "Can we go to McDonald's now?". Yup…they were sooo impressed ;)!

2. amy smart
    amy smart says:

Wow! I'm impressed. (Because I too, know how un-spontaneous life gets with kids. 🙂 But you guys made the most of it. Good job!

Sorry about the double losses. That stinks. Our team was out in the first round, so at least you got to the Sweet 16. 🙂

I love the idea of a spur of the moment activity within a spur of the moment trip! Sorry your boys lost (x2). While I'm not at all into college basketball, I can sort of relate when I think about hockey? Kind of?

4. diane
    diane says:

Isn't Pizzeria Bianco the best? Our son lives in AZ and we want to go every time we visit but most times we don't want to wait 4 hours.We'll have to try the breakfast place next time.

5. Elizabeth Dackson
    Elizabeth Dackson says:

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about the devastating basketball losses, but it sounds like you guys wound up having a wonderful time, maybe even a more wonderful time! And double yay for getting to be spontaneous for once! Welcome home 🙂

6. karenfae
    karenfae says:

sounds like a good trip even if your basketball stars failed to win. A trip to the Grand Canyon can be fun – but yes flip flops don't always work out do they 🙂
    Karen

7. Tina ~ Seaside Stitches
    Tina ~ Seaside Stitches says:

What fun! The Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. Our 2 teams lost on Sunday, too. We have a neighbor who plays for Florida, so his family was in Phoenix. I can't imagine that kind of stress! My brother has season tickets for Syracuse basketball and football, so we root for them, too.

8. Everyday Housewife
    Everyday Housewife says:

Lee, have been a follower of your blog forever (lurker), and have never commented but I see a picture of you and our good friend, Tom and how could I not. It was such a disappointing game, you might have even heard us yelling from Michigan! We bleed green and white here, and all Spartan fans are "good people", so this post has moved your blog to the top of the read list.

9. Jenn
    Jenn says:

I had no idea you were a Michigan State fan. I grew up just south of EL and graduated from State. The game was a tough one to watch! I'm envious of your spur of the momentness (sp? lol)! Hope you had fun despite the loss.

10. Justine Bishop
    Justine Bishop says:

Isn't Matt's great? The downtown farmer's market is across the street and Matt's is a great place to wait for the sun to come up and the vendors to come out! I dream about their sourdough toast. Glad you enjoyed Phoenix!