WIP Wednesday: Feel-Good Sewing

IMG_8901
You might remember that one of my 2012 goals was to sew more things for family and friends. (And to complete the things that I have already started for family and friends.) This week was all about that. I love blogging about my sewing and quilting, but when you have a blog like this, it’s easy to get caught up in projects for the sake of the project, instead of projects for the sake of the recipient or even just for the pure enjoyment of making it. The past few weeks have re-centered me in that regard, and it does indeed feel pretty good. : )Completed projects:

Asterisk quilt for Do. Good Stitches. You saw it here.

New projects:

New York Beauty QA quilt. My first of nine NYB blocks is here, and my second block is well underway. (Both are part of the New York Beauty Quilt-Along, found here.) New York Beauty blocks offer so many design possibilities, and I love the idea of making one quilt with nine unique variations on the same theme. The recipient of this one: Well, okay, it’s me. : ) But it’s been a while since I’ve made something strictly because it was fun!

No progress:
• Gen X Quilters’ Charmed Prints QA
• Halloween quilt
• Farmer’s Wife QA
• Figgy Pudding quiltThis week’s stats:
Completed projects – 1
New projects – 1

Currently in progress – 6Your turn! Just link up any post from the past week featuring a work-in-progress. Please link back here to my blog and comment on other links. Now go do some of your own feel-good sewing. : )

1. Molly
    Molly says:

So excited to see your NY beauty- and good for you for making it for yourself. It is hard to do sometimes, but nice as well to make something just for you.

2. A.J. Dub.
    A.J. Dub. says:

I love that you are quilting for your loved ones. I am starting a quit for my dad and I am excited to make it for him. He is s special guy so I want it to be a special quilt. Thanks for keeping the linky goodness going!

3. Kylie Lloyd
    Kylie Lloyd says:

Keep reminding yourself that you have to give things to those you love. It's nice to make something for yourself or your family once in a while.

4. tartankiwi
    tartankiwi says:

Love your philosophy of getting back to making things for the ones you love. These quilts will be treasured, BUT good on you for keeping one for yourself. We all deserve a little beauty in our lives don't we!?
    Thanks for hosting such a great linky. So many kind, talented and encouraging quilters!

5. Celtic Thistle
    Celtic Thistle says:

Given the amount of time and effort involved in making most quilts it is always good to feel that these will be appreciated, and who better to appreciate your efforts than your own loved ones! Having just signed up to the NY Beauty Block too, I will be following your progress, my NY quilt will be for me also, but that is mostly because I am a bit nervous of what it will turn out like! I am sure you will not have that problem.

Thanks for hosting such an inspiring link party, I look forward to it every week.

6. Fiona
    Fiona says:

Glad you pulled out the quilt for your mum again…you have made many of the blocks for it…so keep persevering. Your WiP is a great incentive for me to have something to post.

I love your Asterisk quilt and the fabrics for the NY Beauty look great 🙂
    I'm not linking up because I've been sick but I may have a bumper edition next week 😉
    I completely agree, I love quilting for people – even when I'm doing QALs I have someone in mind to give the quilt too. I recently made one with no recipient in mind and it's still driving me crazy!! Just not as satifying

8. Kris
    Kris says:

Lee – Your Asterisk quilt looks wonderful and your NY Beauty is going to be so fun!!!! And I'll bet your Mom is thrilled you are even making her a quilt and will love it when it's done!! Kris

9. Christie DescribeHappy
    Christie DescribeHappy says:

So nice to be able to spend time sewing for your loved ones!! I'm finding it hard to strike that balance as well, but late last year I quilted a ton of big quilts for my family, so maybe I'm off the hook for it this year? Always fun to see what you are up and thanks for hosting the link up!

10. JanuaryT
    JanuaryT says:

I'm glad you are getting back to sewing for you and your family. I love the asterisks and the colors your using. Thanks again for hosting this link up. I hope your having a fantastic day!!

11. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

I'm so wrapped up in trying to make things to sell–all trying to just make some money. I really would love to just worry about making things for others. I am doing charity type work along there too though since joining quilt quilt, along with the blankets I've worked on for 3 or 4 years with sewing club at church for charity.

12. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Shirley said:
    Maybe I need to practice and make more things for family. They seem to get left out. Thanks for the post.

Comments are closed.