WIP Wednesday: Guest Hosted by The Busy Bean

wipwednesdaybutton-3

Welcome to WIP Wednesday! My name is Colleen and I blog at The Busy Bean. I sew in my spare time between chasing after my two girls, a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old. I’ve been looking forward to my turn to host WIP Wednesday all summer, and just hoping that it came on a week when I had actually accomplished something. Lucky for me…

Here’s what I’ve been up to:

(sorry for the blurry pic)
I got a quilt top pieced together for my daughter. She’s turning 3 this year, so this is for her big girl bed. I had the girls in la beeda loca (a quilting bee with some members of the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild) make me random circle blocks. Unfortunately, I gave some of them their fabric (Kona Coal), but didn’t have enough for everyone.I had to go pick up more fabric. It wasn’t until I got them all back that I noticed the Coals looked nothing alike. So, I threw in some squares of Kona Slate and Ash to make it look like it was on purpose. I made six circle blocks myself and randomly set them around plain blocks. It’s not quite the quilt I envisioned, but I do really like it. I have until the end of September to finish it, but I have two quilts to start and finish by the end of August that have to come first! No pressure.

I’ve been knitting …

Knitting right along

And I’ve been sewing a lot of zippers for zipper week on my blog last week. A whole week devoted to different ways to insert zippers, with step-by-step tutorials.

In between that, I’m working on a project for me and me alone. I loved Terri‘s pillow for the Pillow Talk Swap, so I’m working on my own. Mine is tiny, I’m working with 1/2″ hexagons, 1″ diamonds and kites, and using English Paper Piecing to make a triangle shaped pillow. I just have the rest of the grey to put around the outside, then it’s ready to sew into something pretty – probably the only thing I’ve made so far that I don’t think I will let the girls play with.

So that’s what I’ve been working on. Now it’s your turn. What have you been working on this week? Here are the rules for linking up to WIP Wednesday:

1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP)
2. Somewhere in your post, link back here to my blog. (Or grab my WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other links—because what fun is a linky party without comments?

1. AlyceB
    AlyceB says:

Hey, if you hadn't have told us it was all supposed to be one background colour, I never would have guessed – I thought it looked really effective being different colours!

2. Rose Smith
    Rose Smith says:

Love the circles quilt. Those colours go together so well. I can only sigh with admiration at your hexie pillow – I'm all fingers and thumbs when I try piecing with such small blocks.

3. Pat
    Pat says:

Just thought you should know that when I clicked on Busy Bean's site, McAfee gave me a warning about visiting the site. I just had that happen to my site last month, I had a blog on my blog list that had been hacked. I hope it is nothing, but you may want to check it out.

4. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

omg! you are so talented!
    With all the gorgeous work I see in these blogs, I often wonder why I show my own work.
    I'm learning more all the time, but feel I will never be much more than a beginner.

5. Julie
    Julie says:

I'm loving your projects! The zipper week sounds so helpful! I may have to find a project that need a zipper so I can use one of your posts. I love the triangle pillow, I don't think I'd let my kids touch that either!

6. Diana
    Diana says:

I love looking at all your amazing projects. Can you tell me where you found the wide green chevron print?
    Thanks a bunch.

kraftymom at att.net

• Colleen
      Colleen says:

Hi Diana, the green chevron came from the Half Moon Modern line by MoMo for Moda fabric. I picked mine up from Pink Castle Fabrics a while ago. I think the wide chevrons by Riley Blake that are available now are very similar.

I've had that problem with Kona before – Kona Medium Grey to be specific. How annoying. But it was a happy accident IMO – the quilt for your daughter looks fantastic!