Lifesavers Quilt Places Third

7316570060_647a4fb902_z-1

Lifesavers mini quilt
Remember my Lifesavers quilt from the EZ Dresden Challenge blog hop? Well, guess what? It took third place in the challenge!

I am just floored that out of all the fabulous, creative, beautiful quilts entered, my little quilt placed. Even third place had the most amazing prize package—100 spools of Gutterman cotton thread in every color of the rainbow, a Sidewinder bobbin winder from Simplicity, two fat-quarter bundles from Robert Kaufman, batting from Fairfield, and rulers and a book from Darlene Zimmerman. And my quilt will be displayed in the Simplicity booth at Fall Quilt Market. Wow!!

It’s been quite a month for me. My Supernova quilt went off to Houston to hang at International Quilt Festival, an honor I still can’t quite believe. A quilt of mine is appearing in a new book coming out from Martingale. And now this. Seriously?? I can’t believe all of this is happening to me.

Lifesavers mini quilt

I love designing and sewing quilts. I would do it even if this blog didn’t exist, and even if I didn’t have these amazing opportunities to see my quilts published or be selected for awards. Most of the time I feel like I just lucked into all of this. I mean, take a look at Pinterest or the Fresh Modern Quilts Flickr group—there are so many talented people out there, making some incredible quilts. The fact that my quilts have been singled out for some of these honors feels like it’s due as much to happenstance as anything else. I was just in the right place at the right time. Or maybe my blog was. : )

But at the same time, I know I’ve worked hard on my quilts and on this blog, occasionally wondering why exactly I put all this time and effort in. I’ve stayed up until the wee hours of the morning sewing and blogging, because that midnight-to-2-a.m. slot was the only time I had that day to get anything done. Then things like this come along to make me feel like that time and effort was well-spent. So thank you, Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild, the EZ Dresden Challenge judges, and the sponsors. You made my week!

You can see all the other EZ Dresden Challenge winners right here. The grand prize-winning quilt by Jenny Cameron is stunning! Congratulations to all.

Newer Comments »
  1. Krista
    Krista says:

Congratulations! It's a really fun quilt, and what a prize package!

I hear you on how things like this can really make all of the time and effort worth it. I love sewing and quilting, but sometimes it's nice to have our hobby justified with some recognition of all the work we do.

2. Kristan
    Kristan says:

Congratulations!! I am super stoked to get to see Supernova in person at the Festival. I wish I had access to Market to see Lifesavers! Alas, I'm just a plebian in the quilt world. Congrats again, that prize is AMAZING!!

3. Jenny Wren
    Jenny Wren says:

Congratulations again! It is lovely when ones work is acknowledged and appreciated, as it takes time and passion.

Thank you Lee – glad you like my quilt, it was fun to make – the Dresden wedge has so many uses! I had several different designs before I settled on the final product. I'm stoked that my quilt is going to Fall Quilt Market, hanging in the Simplicity booth. Rather exciting!

I'm looking forward to tonights SLMQG meeting. It will be great to see some of the amazing quilts in person. So much talent in one room.

4. mahoo
    mahoo says:

Congratulations Lee! It's nice to see your work getting recognized. Now those of us who follow you will have to share you with the rest of the world! Congrats again.

5. Lori
    Lori says:

WOOHOOO A big congratulations on all that is happening. Wish you lots of luck on the quilt you sent to Houston and the one in the new book. Happy dance for you.

6. Linda
    Linda says:

Yay Lee! Your creativity and sense of color are truly a gift, and it's apparent you're using them to their fullest. I'm so happy for you to have your quilts tagged for these honors. Enjoy this time and the accolades you deserve. I think your work is visually stunning. Way to go, girl!

I love that lucky-to-be-me feeling that comes from, as you say, being in the right place at the right time. But it also comes from talent, perseverance, determination, and certainly a HUGE design sense that shows up in all your quilts.

I'm really happy for you–Congratulations!!
    Elizabeth E.