A New Quilt Design Tool

Screen-Shot-2012-10-25-at-12.11.03-PM-1

I have long lamented the fact that because I’m on a Mac, I can’t use the EQ quilt design software. I use Adobe Illustrator to design my quilts and patterns, and that works fine, but of course Illustrator isn’t about to do any quilty math for me. Nor does Illustrator have handy libraries of pre-loaded fabric swatches or traditional block designs.

But there’s hope for us Mac peeps (and everybody else): The online sewing community Threadbias is developing a web-based quilt design tool, which will be accessible to anyone (on PC or Mac), will be constantly updated with the newest fabric designs, and will be available for a monthly subscription fee (so no need to shell out lots of cash up front for software). There will even be a “lite” free version available. I’m so excited about this!

But Threadbias needs our help to get it going. They’re raising money on Kickstarter to fund the development of the program. If you’re as excited as I am about having a good alternative to EQ, please click here to donate. And if you’re not familiar with Kickstarter, it’s a great way to help small businesses grow—your credit card isn’t charged unless the company’s Kickstarter goal is fully funded, and you almost always get something in return for your donation. So it’s essentially like buying a company’s products in advance. Everybody wins.

Good luck, Threadbias!

Great to know. I need to spend more time exploring threadbias. I'm in jury assembly room today. I have the time–I could make good use of my time and do some lexploring

2. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

VMWare Fusion and Parallels are two products that let you run Windows on your Mac and, therefore, run EQ 7.

• Lee Heinrich

That's true, but I've used VMWare in the past, and found it to be kind of a hassle. It sucks a lot of memory, you have to partition your hard drive, etc. etc. I would prefer not to have to deal with that – and I won't have to if this Threadbias tool becomes a reality! : )

3. QuiltyGirl
    QuiltyGirl says:

Oh cool! Thanks for bringing this up, I haven't heard of this yet! (And btw, I used to have EQ before I was a mac user. I think I used it like 5 times total. IMO, it's not worth it… But it is super user friendly, for the computer illiterate such as myself!)

4. Linda
    Linda says:

Hi Lee! I'm a Mac user too (I had no idea you were also!) and appreciate that you too are experiencing the frustrations I've experienced. It's great to know about this new possibility for us – Kickstart. I've heard of it because it has many hopeful possibilities for those of us who want to promote our ideas. Thanks for sharing!

I run EQ7 on my Mac through parallels really well. I restrict just my software for it and my embroidery, no web browsing! But this is great news! Who doesn't like new gadgets/software!?!?!

6. Holli
    Holli says:

Thanks. I made a contribution. I'm a Mac user and use Parallels, but only if I have to. I don't design quilts, but I'm happy that others do!! Hopefully, this will be a great resource for more people, and who knows, maybe I'll add that to my list of things I do!

Comments are closed.