, ,

Doing Cartwheels

8043850136_1de4410317_z-1
Cartwheels quilt

My Cartwheels quilt is now complete, and I am so happy with how it turned out! It’s a sweet little girl quilt for a sweet baby girl.

Cartwheels quilt
My gray and yellow love is still going strong, as you can see, plus I threw in some pink for good measure. The background is Kona Ash and the binding is this Lizzy House print, which is fabulous for binding!

Some of my favorite stash prints can be found in the blocks and on the back, including this yellow print from Riley Blake, which I used up and must now buy lots more. : ) (Fortunately it’s on sale here.) Sarah Jane’s ridiculously adorable narwhals are in there too.

Cartwheels quilt - the back

This is how I almost always piece my quilt backs now–they’re pieced, but it’s pretty simple and quick piecing. I hardly ever buy fabric specifically for a quilt back anymore. I just use whatever I have in my stash that coordinates. But since I don’t usually buy a whole lot of any one print, it does necessitate a bit more piecing than if I was doing a back from all one print. That’s good, because it forces me to do something with the back at a time when I’m usually running out of steam on the project and getting lazy. : )

Since I’ve had a few requests, this pattern is now available for sale. The pattern includes a paper-piecing template for making the Cartwheel blocks, as well as full cutting and assembly instructions to make this quilt in three different sizes: Baby, Lap, and Twin. The Cartwheel block is a lot of fun and deceptively simple to sew—there aren’t any seams to match up when you put the block sections together, and that’s always the trickiest part of foundation piecing. So I hope you’ll give this one a try! Click here to purchase.

Newer Comments »
  1. Laurel09
    Laurel09 says:

Not sure if it's just me, but I can't see your first two images in this post… which is a bummer, because I would love ot see the front of the quilt! I'll check back later. 🙂

2. Tiffany
    Tiffany says:

Thank you so much! I love how you made your quilt with the top/bottom rows cut in half, rather than having four full sized rows. I'm excited to try this pattern some day!

3. Leila
    Leila says:

Oh. My. I. Am.In. Love! Great colors! and I like how you split the top and bottom row of blocks up. She will love it!

Congrats on all of the fun quilting stuff that is coming your way!

4. Doreen
    Doreen says:

I so love your color choices….especially that gray background. Have downloaded and saved the pattern. You are very generous. Will post a pic when I get to it! Hugs, Doreen

5. Holli
    Holli says:

Thank you SO much for the pattern! When I saw this the other day on your blog I just fell in love with it and was so hoping there'd be a link to a pattern. And here you are with not only a pattern, but free! What an amazing gift you wonderful bloggers are to us novice quilters. I would be no where without you! Thank you!! And your finished quilt is absolutely beautiful!

6. Lisa E
    Lisa E says:

What a gorgeous quilt. Thanks for telling us about the fabrics you used. I'm always interested in what other people use. Most of all, thanks for the paper-piecing pattern.

Newer Comments »