, ,

Doing Cartwheels

8043850136_1de4410317_z-1
Cartwheels quilt

My Cartwheels quilt is now complete, and I am so happy with how it turned out! It’s a sweet little girl quilt for a sweet baby girl.

Cartwheels quilt
My gray and yellow love is still going strong, as you can see, plus I threw in some pink for good measure. The background is Kona Ash and the binding is this Lizzy House print, which is fabulous for binding!

Some of my favorite stash prints can be found in the blocks and on the back, including this yellow print from Riley Blake, which I used up and must now buy lots more. : ) (Fortunately it’s on sale here.) Sarah Jane’s ridiculously adorable narwhals are in there too.

Cartwheels quilt - the back

This is how I almost always piece my quilt backs now–they’re pieced, but it’s pretty simple and quick piecing. I hardly ever buy fabric specifically for a quilt back anymore. I just use whatever I have in my stash that coordinates. But since I don’t usually buy a whole lot of any one print, it does necessitate a bit more piecing than if I was doing a back from all one print. That’s good, because it forces me to do something with the back at a time when I’m usually running out of steam on the project and getting lazy. : )

Since I’ve had a few requests, this pattern is now available for sale. The pattern includes a paper-piecing template for making the Cartwheel blocks, as well as full cutting and assembly instructions to make this quilt in three different sizes: Baby, Lap, and Twin. The Cartwheel block is a lot of fun and deceptively simple to sew—there aren’t any seams to match up when you put the block sections together, and that’s always the trickiest part of foundation piecing. So I hope you’ll give this one a try! Click here to purchase.

« Older Comments
  1. Staci
    Staci says:

Thank you for sharing! I am attending SS and didn't make it into your class. I have been searching around for a paper piecing pattern that was appropriate for a novice. Excited to try it!!

2. Laurel09
    Laurel09 says:

I've come back to see the quilt and the images are showing fine now – it's great! I am thinking that it would be a good pattern for a Christmas quilt, also (which I am on the search for). Thank you for sharing the pattern!

3. Sharon
    Sharon says:

cartwheel quilt is fabulous! may I ask what program you use to create your foundation patterns?
    I am still loving the gray and yellow, too, and the pink is great (pink is always a good idea).

4. Melanie
    Melanie says:

This quilt is so adorable! Thanks for the free pattern. I have wanted to try paper peicing for a long time – the will a perfect way to start!

5. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Thank you for the free pattern.
    When I first saw it, I imagined it in Halloween prints. Then I thought about how interesting it would be if I used Christmas fabrics — all scrappy, of course.
    I can't wait to see it worked up in Christmas/winter fabrics and made into a generous throw for my sofa….I might even use either flannel or minky-type fabric for the back.
    Mmmmm, the possibilities are endless.

6. Patti
    Patti says:

I know I'm really late with thanking you but I put this in a folder whilst on vacation and have only just started to look at all the things I saved there. Thank you so very very much for this patter because I love it to pieces.

7. Julie
    Julie says:

Thank you for this pattern. This will make a perfect birthday gift. Have you started a flickr group, I would love to see the color combos others come up with. Thanks again.

« Older Comments