WIP Wednesday: Just Forget About the WIP Part

wipwednesdaybutton-7
Yes, it’s another WIP-less WIP Wednesday! With Sewing Summit taking up the majority of my week, I’ve got zip to report today. But you guys … Sewing Summit was last week! So let’s talk about that instead, shall we?

Um, yeah, it was completely awesome. Dare I say, even more fun than last year. Last year, I was meeting blogging friends in person for the first time, so I wasn’t quite sure what I was walking into. This year, I truly felt like I was getting together with old friends. In fact, for many of them, I don’t even use the term “blogging friends” anymore—I think they’ve graduated to “actual friends” now. : )

My Friday morning class, practicing their paper-pieced star blocks

And my first-ever teaching experience? It was fine! Fine! (Sorry, couldn’t resist a little private joke there.) But seriously, my Foundation Piecing class with Elizabeth went very, very well. I don’t think I’ve ever taught anybody anything in my life (well, besides a few curse words here and there). So I had no idea what to expect from myself or this class. And I was ridiculously nervous going into it, especially when I had to stand in front of all those expectant, staring faces, patiently waiting for me to impart valuable information.

Paper-piecing samples galore—some by me and some by Elizabeth—on display in our class

Fortunately, once we got into the block demonstrations, all my nervousness disappeared, and it just felt like a chat with friends about making something pretty. And I do love to chat with friends about making something pretty. : ) So in the end, I really enjoyed teaching—and nobody’s more surprised about that than I am.

Okay, so let’s run down the rest of the weekend, Instagram-style:

Joel Dewberry‘s keynote address. I loved the sneak peak at his new collection, Notting Hill, and hearing about his inspiration and process.

Sukie modeling some kick-butt (unfinished) lounge pants. Oh yeah, my own foxy flannel lounge pants turned out super cute!

Katie and her sister-in-law Mary, who was nice enough to put me (a virtual stranger) up at her house on Wednesday night and drive me around all weekend long. Thank you so much, Mary! (Instagram photo by @freshlemonsquilts.)

Hanging with a couple of my fellow Art Gallery Fabrics Fat Quarter Gang chicas (Amy and Faith) during open sewing time, in our Fat Quarter Gang t-shirts. Because I’m proud to be an ambassador for this amazing fabric company. : ) (Instagram photo by @freshlemonsquilts.)

One of my two visits to Bruge’s for the most delicious waffles ever—with Sukie, Kelly, and Faith. (Instagram photo by @sewfantastic). No, I did not have the “Machine Gun Sandwich.” Oh well, guess I’ll have to go back!

Our unofficial fabric shop hop on Thursday—with Brooke, Terri, Sukie, Kelly, and Elena. (Instagram photo by @freshlemonsquilts.) Why can’t Milwaukee have fabric shops like Salt Lake does?

In general, Sewing Summit weekend was once again inspiring, exhilarating, and a chance to hang out with like-minded people. Every one of you ladies was a joy to spend time with this weekend—I miss you all already! Just like last year, there were some people I wanted to meet but didn’t get a chance, and people I wasn’t able to spend as much time with as I might have liked. But hopefully next time.

A huge thank-you to Erin Singleton and her staff for doing such a great job with this conference. It’s hard to believe this was only its second year, with the way it has taken off. I see nothing but great things ahead for Sewing Summit.

Okay, so now that I’ve spent an entire post talking about everything except WIPs, how would you like to link up your own WIP post? Here are the rules:

1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP). (Yes, I’m breaking my own rules here. Well, it’s my linky … deal with it. LOL.)
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab my WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links. Because what fun is a linky party without comments? : )

Have another wonderful and inspiring week!

I imagine you did such a great job teaching!!! It was so hard to see all the tweets and see all the instagram photos and not be a tad envious…but thanks for taking us along for the ride!!!

2. Cille
    Cille says:

Lee, it looks like a fab weekend with lots of inspiration, great people and good food. Doesn't get any better than that 🙂 And congratulations on teaching your first class. I get to stand a lot in front of people in my job – and it can be nerve wrecking at times – but you are absolutely right that it's all about seeing the audience/participants as friends you share something really interesting with. They wouldn't be sitting in front of you if they didn't think it was interesting after all.

Congrats on how your star class went! I teach adults for a living (community college) and I think they are great fun–able to laugh at my dumb jokes, and they contribute to the conversation. It is true that you do have to go in prepared, but from the looks of your sample board, you were! It would have been fun to be in your class.

SLC is one of my old stomping grounds, and I, too, love their fabric shops. Which ones did you get to? And those waffles! They are just like the ones in Belgium. (Did you get to Tony Caputo's, too?)

Glad you had a great time and welcome home!
    Elizabeth
    opquilt.com

4. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

I am longing to go to some sort of a weekend retreat!! I really do hope some day to be able to. Right now it's financial that would stop me (other than I've not heard of any in my area either.)

5. Julie
    Julie says:

I'm glad your teaching experience went well! I would have been nervous too! Sewing Summit looks like a lot of fun! I've heard a lot about it all over blogland.

6. Cori
    Cori says:

Thanks again for teaching your class! I learned a lot (that's me being all studious in the front row in your photo, lol) and I can't wait to finish the blocks I started. Sewing Summit was awesome!

7. Bree
    Bree says:

I'm really enjoying hearing everybody's recaps of Sewing Summit (even though it makes me more & more jealous that I didn't get to go!) & it sounds like you had an amazing time. Hopefully next year!

8. amy smart
    amy smart says:

Lee, it was great to see you again and I thoroughly loved your class! You did a great job – I would have never even guessed your were nervous. I'll look forward to seeing you again!

9. Deb
    Deb says:

omgosh~~~ i say that all the time to my quilting friends….."wish we had quilt shops around here like salt lake city has"!!! better, yet, why can't the whole WORLD have quilt shops like salt lake???? chicago, to be specific! we are blessed with many shops….not so many have contemporary, modern fabrcis. but, we're getting there…slow, but sure!

10. Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter
    Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter says:

Hi! I am probably the last person to find your amazing blog… but I am glad I finally did! What's funny is that I was at the Sewing Summit as well, and went on the Shop Hop, so I probably met you. But its only after reading someone's blog and looking at all their amazing projects that you really feel like you know a blogger! I am now a devoted fan. I love your WIP Wednesdays. I hope to link up sometime 🙂 ps- I'm sad I didn't get to take your class. Maybe next year if I get to go again 🙂

Rachel from Family Ever After
    here's my SS post: http://www.familyeverafterblog.com/2012/10/once-upon-weekend-sewing-summit-2012.html