Machine Update

Screen-Shot-2013-01-23-at-8.23.48-PM-1

For those of you wondering how my poor sewing machine is faring, the news was indeed bad: She needs a new motherboard. And of course the part has to be ordered, which means my machine is out of commission for about a week. Blurg.

Complicating matters is the fact that the dealer I bought my machine from closed a few months after my purchase and is long gone. Labor is only covered under the warranty when the work is done by the original dealer. If your dealer no longer exists, that’s just too bad for you. Double blurg.

The good news is, I have now found the world’s most awesome Janome dealer and repair guy. Darryl Ottman of The Sewing Machine Shop in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, is not only fixing my machine, he also pulled some strings with Janome to get it fully covered under the warranty, so I don’t have to pay a cent. And he gave me a free Horizon 6600 loaner machine to use while my 7700 is down! With the class that I’m teaching and various sewing deadlines coming up, I couldn’t afford to be without a machine for a whole week, so he has really, really come through for me. And all this when I didn’t even buy from him originally. I’m only sorry I wasn’t aware of his awesomeness when I made my purchase!

I don’t think there are enough good customer service people in the world. So I thought what Darryl is doing for me was well worth a post. If you’re in the market for a Janome in southeastern Wisconsin, please go visit Darryl at The Sewing Machine Shop. Sheboygan Falls is about an hour north of Milwaukee.

Plus, when you’re done sewing machine shopping, you can do what we did and swing over to the city of Sheboygan for pizza at Il Ritrovo. They serve certified authentic Neopolitan pizza! Yum! Except now I’m worried that my husband might start sabotaging my machine just so we’ll have excuses to go back. : )

1. Jenny Squawk Scheidt
    Jenny Squawk Scheidt says:

Darryl is amazing. I've never met him but he is definitely going above and beyond. So glad to know that you'll be in a fix. Motherboards plus that kind of repair are costly. Glad you are getting a fix and hope you continue using Darryl's service minus the sabotage.

2. Dee
    Dee says:

So happy to read this update! I was devastated for you after reading your post on the trouble… Ut to find a good repair guy and get a loaner is the bomb!

3. Teri
    Teri says:

I've heard the 6600 is one of the best machines out there. You may want to keep this machine after having it for a week because you like it so much.

4. FlourishingPalms
    FlourishingPalms says:

Good to hear that Janome is coming through for you… though I'm sure that being a celebrity quilter/designer/instructor AND blog-writer, might have something to do with the good service you're receiving. So glad you have a loaner. Whew!

5. treadlemusic
    treadlemusic says:

Echo Dee! I was totally 'bummed' when I read about your machine situation! Computers are so great–when all's ok, but when not it gets complicated real fast! Am so glad you not only are getting the machine fixed with a replacement in your temp. possession but that you have solved your future needs of cleaning, service etc!! Now, you can focus where you need to. The pizza looks awesome!! Will have to check it out on our next travels. Hugs, Doreen (living 30 miles due West of La Crosse)

6. Angela Nash
    Angela Nash says:

Yikes – I hate mother board issues. Crossing my fingers that mine doesn't go out! So glad he got your whole thing covered. I really don't like their policy of covering labor only where you bought it. Very cool that he gave you that loaner.

7. ~Diana
    ~Diana says:

I have a Janome 7700 too! I hope I don't suffer the same motherboard fate! Having a good sewing machine dealer is critical! Glad you found someone good to take care of you.

8. Elsa
    Elsa says:

What a great guy Darryl is ~ he's a wonderful customer service guy and well worth his weight in gold! There aren't many out there like him. And, he gave you a loaner ~ what a guy!!!

9. Pat
    Pat says:

Shame on Janome for this policy (I'm glad you found Darryl) but you purchased your machine from a dealer in good faith and they SHOULD come through for you. I also have a Janome and my dealer also went out of business a few months later. I'm holding my breath.

• Lee Heinrich

I couldn't agree more, Pat! It seems like a very outdated policy. Machine owners move; dealers go out of business or retire (especially in this economy). And the consumer pays the price. Imagine if car warranties worked this way! It would never fly!

• Pat
      Pat says:

Outdated policy – perfect description. Car warranties – that's exactly what I always compare it to. I thought I would never buy another machine after this one but it could happen. And if I do, I'll be looking closely at the company policy!

10. Regina
    Regina says:

Good service is priceless – if I was closer I would definitely check out Darryl… but from NY it is a ways to go. Though there IS that yummy looking pizza. Honeeee??? Can we go on a road trip?????

11. Faith Jones
    Faith Jones says:

Holy cow, I must have missed that your machine was broken – that stinks!! And yeah, the dealer where I bought my Bernina closed about 6 months after I bought it so I know that feeling. :-/

Wow! I'm glad that you've got it all worked out! It feels so good to find a shop that understands how important our machines are to us! Here's hoping that your machine is as good as new very soon! 🙂

13. gale
    gale says:

That's interesting. When I was shopping for my machine (also a 6600P), a former Janome dealer wanted to sell me her personal machine, which was a 6600. When I asked about the warranty, she said it would be valid at any authorized Janome dealer. I'm glad now that I passed on that deal (it wasn't much of a deal-I got the same machine, brand new, for a couple hundred bucks more).

14. Alison Curtin
    Alison Curtin says:

I had a similar problem with my Janome – 6600. After owning my new machine for about 10 months, it just stopped – with an error warning, too. I brought it to my dealer, who is awesome ( Susan at Sew 'n' Save, Westerville, Ohio). She let me have a loaner machine while it was being repaired. That ended up being about a month – they replaced th motherboard, and it still wasn't working right. Long story, made short – Susan arranged for me to get a whole new machine, and the the whole everything was under warranty. I don't know if Janome would have taken care of me, without Susan's help. A good dealer makes all the difference. I wish the best for you – it's hard to see your BFF have to go to the repair shop!

15. sophie
    sophie says:

It sounds like alls well that ends well for you. I'm so glad to read about it. I had a very similar day, making the trek to Alburquerque to the Bernina dealer. I had a "same day appointment," so I was able to drop it off, meet a friend for lunch and catch up and then hit a wonderful yarn shop before going back to pick up my little purple Bernina. I didn't think it was the computer or any electronics, but I suspected an electrical problem of some kind since it was working and then it just stopped dead. Turns out my modern machine had a mechanical issue–something had seized and the needle wouldn't move. It was repairable and I drove back to Santa Fe, a happy camper. I think Sewing Machine Guys are the best 🙂

16. diane
    diane says:

This just proves that there are good people in the world. So glad you found Darryl. But, I agree with everyone else, that is a weird clause in your warranty.

17. Alicia
    Alicia says:

Glad you found a good dealer! Our nearest Janome dealer is about 1.5 hours away but they don't seem too interested in helping! LOVE my 6600P!

18. ShirleyC
    ShirleyC says:

I'm so glad you are getting some support. I know how that feels. My Babylock Ellageo Pluse died a slow death in Dec., and Babylock is replacing it. I am so glad as I've had so many problems with that machine, and it was worked on a few times and still had problems.
    I have a great dealer!

19. Esch House Quilts
    Esch House Quilts says:

I'm glad you found such a fantastic new dealer! I don't really understand the Janome policy – it is still a Janome (and a fairly new one at that), whether your dealer closes shop or not.

My dealer has been in business over 60 years – I'll keep my fingers crossed that they stay open for another 60 or so 🙂

20. Elaine
    Elaine says:

Oh no! I actually just purchased a Horizon. I wonder how common the problem is. Fingers crossed your machine comes back better than ever!

21. Linda in Calif.
    Linda in Calif. says:

Really cute post. I laughed at your ending. That pizza looks so good I'm surprised you don't sabotage your own machine! LOL You really are lucky to find such a great dealer.

Comments are closed.