, , ,

WIP Wednesday: Have WIPs, But No Machine

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-6
WIPWednesday

Oh, man. And I was making such good progress on my WIPs too.

On Monday evening, while I was teaching my Modern Sampler class, my wonderful (only six-month-old) Janome Horizon 7700 freaked out on me and wouldn’t do anything but give me an E1 error code. I took it in to the service technician, who said it was probably just a popped fuse—an easy fix. But he called back a few hours later and …. let’s just say it’s not going to be such an easy fix after all. And I was just thinking about how I needed to do a full-scale review of my machine, since I’ve had her for almost exactly six months now. Well, needless to say, now the review will have to wait to see what happens next. This seems like it will be a good test of how Janome stands behind its products and its customers. I’ve heard good things about Janome’s customer service, so I’m optimistic they’ll come through for me. Stay tuned.

Anyway. WIPs. I did make good progress, prior to Monday!

Summer Sampler Series blocks

Made lots of progress on my Summer Sampler Series blocks for the Modern Sampler class that I’m teaching. I’m making two sets of blocks, since I like to show a finished block at the start of class, and I have to do some demonstrating during class as well.

And here are some of my students’ Mosaic blocks from last week! Can I just say how proud I am of these ladies? Three of them had never even made half-square triangles before, but check out those points. They rocked it. (Thanks to Anne from Material Matters for the photo!)

Summer Sampler Series PDF

Speaking of the Summer Sampler, I made major progress on the Summer Sampler Series Block Anthology. I heard from many of you that you’re excited about having the series in a PDF format, so Katie, Faith, and I are looking forward to making it available! And seeing as I have no sewing machine, that might happen even earlier than I thought. Silver linings, people. Silver linings. : )

Baby quilt

And I got my Rebel Amish-inspired baby quilt top finished, at long last. Now I just need to get it quilted. When I get my machine back, anyway.

Candy Necklace in the book!

Oh, and don’t forget: My Modern Quilts From the Blogging Universe giveaway is open through next Tuesday! I’m giving away an ebook version AND two physical copies, so pop over here to enter.

Whatcha workin’ on? Here are the rules for the linky:

1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab my WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links. Because really, what fun is a linky party without comments?

What a bummer about your machine! Best of luck – I'm sure they'll come through for you! And what lovely projects…great about the Summer Sampler + I really love your triangle quilt.

2. CitricSugar
    CitricSugar says:

Sorry to hear about your machine! Keep us posted on the service it requires… This is the first glitch I've heard about that particular machine so I'm very curious. Hope it's back in your hands and better than new soon!

3. Nicci P
    Nicci P says:

I have the 7700 and the same thing happened to me at four months. It ended up being the mother board.she is fixed and working like a charm now, but it happened right before quilt market and then Hurricane Sandy (Janome is based out of New Jersey), so it took a while to get the part. Lucky for you, no hurricanes :). Bet they get you up and working soon. Good luck!

4. Leanne
    Leanne says:

I expect you will have no problem with the repair, when mine broke it was taken care of right away and quickly too. Such pretty blocks in this post, your students are doing great.

You've seem to have made tons of progress, I'd say. It will also be fun to follow along the progress that your students make. I think it's always interesting to take a block, and see how others bring their interpretations to that same block, as you show in your post.

Wow. Machine Crazies. So sorry about that. I think I sew on my machine as much as you do, so I hope it will be fixed swiftly so you can get back to your creative endeavors!

Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

6. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

You sure put me to shame—-as well as most others!
    Even with no machine you did more than I do in a month!
    I really really really want to spend more time sewing.

7. Esch House Quilts
    Esch House Quilts says:

Sorry about the machine 🙁 I'll be interested to see what happens since my 7700 is only two months old now. All your WIPs are looking so good – how frustrating not to be able to work on them!

8. Becky
    Becky says:

Oh no! So sorry about your machine! I just bought a new Janome 6600 (sold my Pfaff QE 4.0), and LOVE it. Wish I'd done it long ago. I think I may have drooled a bit over the 7700, and there's an even newer machine coming out now (!) but even if I had the $ I think I would have still picked the 6600… much lower tech which I like!! Hope it's back soon! Can they give you a loaner LOL?!?!

9. momiji
    momiji says:

So sorry to learn that your new machine is down! Hope it will be up and running again soon, so that you can get back to your wonderful quilts.

10. sophie
    sophie says:

I share your pain.

My Bernina died early last week when I had ALMOST finished quilting an old, old WIP and I've been waiting for my "same day" appointment at the nearest dealer (more than an hour away) to find out just how bad is it. Once I finally got over my grief and fear, I did manage to push myself in a new direction and have shifted to those non-machine tasks and handwork and choosing and cutting fabrics.

I'm eagerly awaiting the report on your sewing machine! I've gotten that error message before, but I was able to make it go away. I hope the janome people are good to you.

12. Scrapatches
    Scrapatches says:

Sorry to read about your sewing machine troubles … hope it is fixed soon! Thanks for running the WIP linky again … not much to share today as my WIPs are all for upcoming blog hop posts, but I am enjoying the eye candy … 🙂 Pat

13. Cathy
    Cathy says:

OH no! I have the same machine. Mine is a year old and touch wood, no issues! I will be really interested to see what happens for you.

14. bloomingpoppies
    bloomingpoppies says:

Best wishes for a speedy machine return. Your projects look great and your students blocks are fun too. I'm still trying to get my points to match on my HST blocks!!! 🙂

15. Kathy@KayakQuilting
    Kathy@KayakQuilting says:

I feel your pain! For the first six months after I purchased a new Husqvarna Sapphire machine I was having periodic serious tension problems. Eventually the store replaced the entire upper tension unit and seems to be much, much better. BUT being without the machine for a week at a time was very difficult with my new sewing addiction!! Just had to go out fabric shopping instead! Best of luck with this!

16. Conni
    Conni says:

great triangles, I havent ventures into anything but squares yet, lol Hope you get your sewing machine fixed soon. I thought you link stayed open for a few days, I missed it yesterday

Comments are closed.