Triangle Baby Quilt

8455610009_5edfeb7947_z-1

Triangle baby quilt
Yeah, it’s about time I finished this one! I feel like I’ve been either thinking about or working on this baby quilt for months. Almost four months, to be exact, since that’s how old the baby now is. : ) Hopefully it was worth the wait.

Triangle baby quilt

The fabric is from Fox Hollow by Monaluna, which I won in a giveaway a while back from The Sewing Journal. This line is so adorable! The perfect choice for a babyish (but not too babyish) and girly (but not too girly) quilt. I decided to go with triangles for the design, and scattered the print triangles among lots of white, a look inspired by Adrianne’s Rebel Amish quilt. Then a little straight-line quilting finished her off.

Triangle baby quilt

I have to admit, I’m kind of regretting cutting my red-striped binding on the bias. It ended up looking a little too candy-cane-ish for my tastes. Regular straight stripes probably would have been better. But fortunately, the baby’s parents are Indiana fans, so I don’t think they’ll object to red stripes in any format. (Hello, crazy candy-cane warm-up pants!)

Triangle baby quilt - the back

I used a few more of the fat-quarters from the Fox Hollow bundle on the back, including the cheater print. And I actually didn’t realize until after I had cut into the FQs that one of the Fox Hollow prints is an alphabet print (it’s the one along the sides of the quilt, in the middle). It’s so cute!

Triangle baby quilt

And my favorite part of this quilt? The print with the mommy fox being followed by two little baby foxes. This was the family’s second little girl in less than two years, so it seemed very fitting. : )

Hey, as an Indiana fan, I can confirm that the red-and-white stripes are always going to be a win! (And let's not talk about last night's game, mmkay?)
    This is really cute, Lee! The triangles are just perfect.

This is such a fun quilt! I really like this collection too. My first impression was that the binding was perfect for this project and lent a whimsical quality to the quilt. I like it! 🙂

3. Renae
    Renae says:

Oh my! I've been making coaster sets from this fabric (with red striped binding!) and was looking at the scraps last night wondering what to do with it – I LOVE the random triangles with the plain colours! You have inspired me 🙂

4. Grace
    Grace says:

I am a beginner quilter…is there a way I can get a pattern for this? I love the geometry, size and colors! I checked out the Rebel Amish post from Bluebell, but there weren't really any directions either… My friend is having a baby shower in August and I would love to make this for her baby girl. Thanks for any help you can provide 🙂

5. Grace
    Grace says:

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Grace – sorry, I don't have a pattern for this one. I was kind of winging it and working without a pattern – I have a 60-degree triangle ruler, so I just cut triangles and sewed them together until I had the size I wanted! I know that's not much help, sorry. : ) I'm sure if you search the patterns on Craftsy or the Fat Quarter Shop, you might be able to find a similar pattern somewhere. Good luck!

6. Grace
    Grace says:

Is there a pattern available for this, by any chance? I am a beginner quilter and I would love to make this for a friend who is having a baby shower in August! I checked out the Rebel Amish post from Bluebell but there weren't many directions… Thanks for any help you can provide 🙂

7. Betsy
    Betsy says:

Hi Lee- we love, love this quilt so much we would like to replicate it exactly. Could you tell us the overall size and the size of your triangles? Would love to know and can't wait to get started. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Betsy

8. Betsy
    Betsy says:

Hi Lee,
    I love love your quilt and want to make it for my very first grand baby. Would you mind sharing the overall size and the size of the triangles? Thanks so much for sharing and can't wait to start!
    Betsy

9. Betsy
    Betsy says:

Betsy

Hi Betsy – Sorry, I don't remember any of the measurements or specifics, and since I gave away the quilt to another family, I can't get it out and look! But I do know I used a 60-degree tri-rec ruler, if that helps. My guess is the triangles are between 4" and 5" tall. And I usually make my baby quilts around 36" x 48" in size. Sorry I can't help more!