WIP Wednesday: New and Improved!

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-6
WIPWednesday

Welcome to Wednesday! Before I get to my WIPs, a little housekeeping is in order: Now that we’re topping 200(!) link-ups a week, it’s getting unwieldy to show all of them within the post. So I’ve decided to start using the new “paging” linky widget by InLinkz, which arranges the link-ups in multiple pages. What this means for you:

1. Check out the linky’s great new features. When you hover over any link, you’ll see options allowing you to pin the link, tweet about it, or mark it as read. It makes it really easy to keep track of which links you’ve visited and your favorite WIP projects by others.

2. Throughout the week, I’ll be tweeting about and/or pinning WIP Wednesday links that I find especially interesting and worthy of notice. In fact, I’ve set up a Pinterest board just for my favorite WIP Wednesday links. Follow me in both places to see what I’m loving this week!

3. At some point I hope to be able to run the links in reverse order, so that the most recent link will appear first instead of last. That seems more fair, because it would give every link a certain amount of time on the first page. That option isn’t available yet, but I’ll add it when I can. (Edited to add: InLinkz says this will be available in about a month – yay!)

I hope you like the new linky, but please comment or drop me a line if you have any feedback. Now let’s talk WIPs! I did very little sewing this week—instead I was helping both kids with their Valentines and working with my older daughter on a Daisy Scout project and two assignments for her class’s “100 Days of School” celebration.

Cutting for new pattern
But I did manage to cut into some fabric for my next pattern. I’m liking this palette, but I feel like it’s missing something. I might take out the olive crosshatch fabric and replace it with more of a lime green. Any suggestions?

Rocky Road to Kansas block
Made more Summer Sampler blocks with my ongoing Modern Sampler class. Most people in the class said this block (Rocky Road to Kansas) was their favorite so far. They thought the strip-piecing was fun and the paper-piecing was much easier for them than last week’s.

Class print
And I’ve been working on a new Spoonflower print featuring self-portraits of every child in my daughter’s kindergarten class. The fabric will ultimately become a silent auction item—maybe a pair of pillowcases for a kid’s bed, but I’m open to suggestions. What type of items made from this fabric would you want to buy? And don’t say quilt, because I’m not going there, sorry. : )

Okay, so let’s get linking! Here are the rules:

1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab my WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links. Because what fun is a linky party without comments?Have a wonderful week!

Loading InLinkz …
Newer Comments »

The spoonflower fabric? FUUUN! What about totes for books? You can add a few great books for the auction? Simple drawstring backpack? It would be a neat pencil bag or journal cover, but you might not get all the kids on there. I imagine you will come up with something wonderful! I like your color palettes! They are so bright and colorful, but warm and earthy at the same time!

2. Maria from Cuddle Bug Kids
    Maria from Cuddle Bug Kids says:

I think I would make a large tote (maybe waterproof lining so it could be a pool bag?) or a drawstring backpack. Love the kids fabric idea!!! I like the idea of inlinkz having easy settings to pin and record where you've visited! I do wish the tool didn't cover so much of the thumbnail though. Hope they will work on that.

3. MaterialGirlQuilts
    MaterialGirlQuilts says:

Lee, that Spoonflower fabric is so adorable!! I like the idea of making pillowcases with it. By the way, I had some issues linking up, it wouldn't let me choose a photo from the web, so I had to add it from my computer instead. Just an FYI.
    Amanda

4. Patti
    Patti says:

Great Spoonflower fabric, and I think I would use it for a book bag! Just added my link without any issues! Off to check out everyone else's progress this week.

5. joanne
    joanne says:

I really like the olive crosshatch in with that mix!!
    That fabric is so cute! I think the idea of a drawstring bag is great! Brilliant for PE and swimming kits!!

6. Angela Bullard
    Angela Bullard says:

At first I wasn't sure about the changes but I the little link to Pinterest worked really well 🙂

And I kind of like the olive green in the first picture. It goes well with the darker (mustard-y?) yellow. Can't wait to see what it turns into!

7. Stephanie Granite
    Stephanie Granite says:

I think the fabric would be great to make something that the child could take to school with them. Maybe an art case? or a small backpack? Something where they'd be able to show off the print to the rest of the kids

8. kat129
    kat129 says:

I like the idea of lime green being added in – I was also thinking about a fuschia? I am not good with color though so be weary of my suggestions… I like the new link up as well – it was daunting scrolling down through so many – it is easier to manage where you were with less on a page and more pages 🙂 Thanks so much Lee for hosting such a great gathering – I have met so many wonderful people through WIP Wednesday posts!

9. Sara
    Sara says:

Gorgeous fabric!
    I did want to tell you that I too had trouble linking up and couldn't pick a web image. Also it's more difficult to see the images for each link.

10. Katy Cameron
    Katy Cameron says:

Fun fabric :o) My gran has a couple of tea-towels of similar type ideas from her friends' grandkids, but that wouldn't be as practical with quilting cotton, maybe as edging for a set?

11. Tina ~ Seaside Stitches
    Tina ~ Seaside Stitches says:

Oh my goodness, I love that fabric! I think pillowcases would be fantastic. I'm so happy that your daughter is a Daisy. My daughter earned the Gold Award last year. When Girl Scouting says they build girls of courage, confidence and character, they mean it! I hope your daughter enjoys her time in scouts as much as my daughter did.

12. Lisa C
    Lisa C says:

The fabric is a wonderful idea. Placemats, a simple tote (like the kind for the library or grocery store, notebook cover (not electronic cover but a ledger type notebook or spiral), fabric basket, art apron?

13. FlourishingPalms
    FlourishingPalms says:

Sew up some easy drawstring bags. Kids will find lots of things to store in them. And I love this idea! You're so clever to think of it, and to go to the effort to design fabric. Someday I'll figure out how to do that too!

14. A.J. Dub. (Amy)
    A.J. Dub. (Amy) says:

That fabric is very cute! One thing to think about with that fabric is direction with the print for a pillowcase. I hate it when my cute print is going sideways on my case instead of up and down.
    I would probably make totes with it for library day.

That block looks really fun! My little facebook group of newbie quilters are trying paper piecing for the first time this month. It's only my second time. LOL!

Newer Comments »