, ,

WIP Wednesday: Ready, Set, QuiltCon

So many exciting things in the works around here! Most of them don’t directly involve sewing, but still. : )

For one thing: QuiltCon! I leave bright and early tomorrow! I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. I’ve been watching all the prep work going down via Instagram. That, plus the negative-10-degree wind chill we had here today, makes me want to leave for Austin right this minute! Although, since I’m not even close to being packed, I guess it’s a good thing I’m not.

Anyway. In addition to getting ready for QuiltCon, a major WIP is getting underway today at our house: We’re remodeling two of our three bathrooms. When we bought this house, we knew it would be a full redo, and that it would take us a long time to get to all of it. More than eight years later, these two bathrooms are among the last things on the list!

In honor of this momentous occasion, I have a special treat for you all today: The ultimate bathroom “before” pictures, taken before we moved into the house eight years ago. These pictures were taken during our walk-through right before we closed, so please note that the knick-knacks and foofaraw are totally not mine.

Powder room:

Downstairs powder room - before

Behold the glory of the seashell-shaped sink. A seashell-shaped sink in a stained, fake-marble countertop, with the most outrageously overdone and tacky faucet since Versailles got indoor plumbing.

Upstairs guest/kid bathroom:

Upstairs bathroom - before

Sadly, this picture doesn’t adequately capture the fact that the flowered wallpaper was also ON THE CEILING.

We’ve obviously made a few minor changes since these photos were taken. : ) Things like taking down the wallpaper from the ceiling. (That was a fun couple of days.) But you guys, I’ve hated that seashell sink for eight years! Seashell sink meets dumpster today. And I arrive in Austin tomorrow. That’s a pretty good week in my book.

Oh yeah … I did some sewing too. : ) These blocks are for my new pattern, which will hopefully be out in the next few weeks.

Can’t wait to see some of you in person at QuiltCon. For those who won’t be there, I’m sure I’ll be Instagramming like crazy, so you can follow the action there, and I’ll be back with a full report on the blog next week.

Loading InLinkz …
  1. Danielle
    Danielle says:

That seashell sink is a corker! Kudos to you for surviving eight years with it. You won't know yourself when it's all finished! And ceiling wallpaper?? What the what!! Have a wonderful time at Quiltcon, so wish I was going to be there, hopefully I'll make it to the next one!

Maybe we'll run into each other at quiltcon! I didn't know you were going! I'm so ready to leave right now (since I finished my weekender only hours ago, now I'm ready. Hopefully the elves work hard and get your bathrooms all fixed up while you're away! 🙂

3. Hilary
    Hilary says:

I remember that the house I grew up in had those seashell sinks in every bathroom! I used to think they were so cool 🙂 I'm going to Quiltcon too! I just started following your blog, but it would be great to meet you in person. Your quilts are so beautiful.

4. Jennie
    Jennie says:

Ha ha – I know what you mean about hating a bathroom – we bought our house from a plumber and his wife had wanted a two tone purple bathroom suite – she proudly told us it had been made specially for her! And that there was a spare sink in the garage in case we chipped the first one!!!! We still have it hidden under a bush in the garden in case anyone in the future doesn't believe how horrific it was! It was the first job we did when we got the house! Have fun at Quiltcon!

5. karen
    karen says:

Getting on my flight this morning! Can't wait. I'll look for you there, but I promise, not in a creepy, stalking kind of way….. ha! Love you blocks. Have a great trip!!

6. Angela Bullard
    Angela Bullard says:

I'm jealous of the fact that your going to QuiltCon and that your remodeling. Our bathroom has mauve tiling around the lower half of the room and a pedestal sink with NO COUNTERSPACE! I'm looking forward to your after pictures!

7. Nutsy Coco
    Nutsy Coco says:

That first bathroom pic reminds me a lot of my own master bathroom and the before picture I took before we moved in. It's high on the list for an upgrade. Last year we remodeled the one with metallic wallpaper from the '50s 🙂 I bet yours will look great!

Wow–we have one bathroom left to re-do, and yes, it has a seashell sink. I had no idea that those were so popular!

And of course we are all completely jealous of your trip to Quilt-Con. I'll be watching IG faithfully, as so many will be posting. Have a great time!!

Elizabeth E.

9. Scrapatches
    Scrapatches says:

Bathroom renovations are so nice … especially if you are going to be away from home. May you soon be enjoying your new personal spa. Fresh and clean looking blocks. Have fun at Quiltcon! Linking up again today and enjoying all the inspiration. Thanks for hosting! … 🙂 Pat

A good week indeed! But I promise you I have you beat on the faucet–I have a PINK bathroom with really awful gold faucets–like Donald Trump style. I do think the wallpapered ceiling takes the cake!

11. karen
    karen says:

I lurk and lurk but today… I had to comment. You made me laugh. Out loud. Wallpaper in a bathroom is crazy talk – period. But on the ceiling. Wow. The house we lived in when I was like three had wallpaper in the bathroom. Gold and black velour cheetah print.

Just let that sink in.

Ah. The 70s.

12. Katy Cameron
    Katy Cameron says:

I was going to say, 2 bathrooms remodelled at once, are you mad?! Then I realised you'd miss all the loo queues while you were away, smart lady ;o) Wallpaper on the ceiling though, how, um, interesting, and such a lovely pattern too…

Have fun at Quilt Con!

13. Heather
    Heather says:

Man I feel your pain! We have MAUVE countertops in our bathroom downstairs, with gold everything, it's so stinkin' ugly, and we've lived with it for 6 years! We've updated everything else… this year we are determined to redo it! Good luck with your remodel 🙂 Have the funnest of fun times at Quiltcon!!

14. Francis Paul
    Francis Paul says:

I know when we walked through our soon-to-be house we discussed to knock out the out-dated beige (so-not-our-color) kitchen and the owner said in a very surprised way 'really????' uuuhhhh YES!!! 🙂

how can people put WALL paper on the CEILING and think that is okay??? 🙂

15. Jenny
    Jenny says:

We got rid of one seashell sink, but we still have two more! And the "cultured marble" counters AND carpet in my master bath. Who puts carpet in a bathroom?? We have almost been in our house eight years, so I know where you're coming from.

16. Princess T
    Princess T says:

Ah, the seashell sink….. I've got to say though, at least your bathroom had a sink! When we bought ours it had shower head and the bottom half of a toilet! No sink, no shower surround……But to be fair, we didn't have to tear much out before we started work on it……silver linings!