WIP Wednesday: Guest Hosted by Claire at Sewing Over Pins

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-7
WIPWednesday

Hi! I’m Claire Jain from Sewing Over Pins. I’m super pumped to be guest hosting WIP Wednesday on Freshly Pieced today!

Like all awesome, successful, attractive quilters, I like to keep 3, 4, or 53 projects in some state of, let’s call it “progress.” Here are a couple I’m tackling this week.
I came up with a great idea for an outdoor quilt top photo shoot in front of my neighborhood’s airport control tower. (What? Your neighborhood doesn’t have an airport control tower? Weird.) I feel bad when some of my deadlines sneak by (it’s already March!), but then I see the Noel sign on the tower and think “at least I took our Christmas decorations down.” And by “I,” I mean “Mr. Pins.”

The photo shoot didn’t go as planned. We’ve been having a lot of wind. 40mph winds. I thought I could catch a good shot between gusts, but there’s no getting a good quilt top photo in 40mph winds.

So close to greatness. At least those clothespins held. I never would have been able to chase down that quilt top!
I relocated the photo shoot to my tiny (neglected) yard.
These quilt tops are the product of my Marine Den pattern that’s nearing completion. This was the pattern I thought I would have done at the end of January, then February, and here we are in the first week of March. The instructions are good to go at this point. I’m just working on diagrams, pictures, and formatting.
I made my first Marine Den quilt a year ago. Sure, I’ve done other things in the last twelve months, but a lot of time and effort goes into a quilt pattern. Hence, Lee’s recent frustration after running into a copyright violation.
In other WIP news, my English paper piecing addiction is ongoing, and I’ve cut some more rose star blocks. I hope to add at least another row to the design wall this month. There’s a great tutorial for these on selfsewn, ya know, if you’re running low on WIPs and need a new project. There’s nothing like a good queen-sized, multi-year, hand sewing adventure.
You know you want to 😉
I hope you have a wind-free day for all of your WIP photo shoots. I can’t wait to see what you’re working on!1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links. Because what fun is a linky party without comments?

Happy Crafting!

Claire

Loading InLinkz …
  1. MsMidge
    MsMidge says:

That is photo shoot GOLD! And I love your rose star blocks…..something I can never see myself being addicted to – but hey – I never thought I'd be quilting! lol

The Marine Den looks awesome Claire! Look forward to the pattern 🙂
    Your rose stars are totally stunning, I'm piecing mine together but quickly realising I will need a whole lot more – good job I love doing them!

3. Sara
    Sara says:

I kinda like the windy quilt pics and find them amusing if I dare say! I love,adore,yearn to make that Marine Den pattern!!!! Very geometrically pleasing to the eye.

4. Marla
    Marla says:

Your projects are gorgeous! When I first saw the Noel sign I had some hope that maybe the town was named Noel and that the sign was not Christmas decorations left up. Oh well. Too funny.

5. Elsa
    Elsa says:

Claire,love the photos at the airport control tower and the ones in your backyard ~ great quilts!
    That paper piecing project is insane and I love it! If I wasn't already working on one, I might consider it. That's a lot of piecing! Oh, and all your blocks are beautiful ~

6. Dee
    Dee says:

Thanks Claire! What a fun post (not the faux pattern part!) to read and your Rose Star blocks are beautiful and inspirational!

Yummy!

7. Amy
    Amy says:

Both quilts are beautiful! I know about the wind here in Texas we have had some windy days,made photographing some of mine hard.

8. karen
    karen says:

Wow, I admire your patience to stick with that paper piecing. It will pay off in the end, which looks like a loooong way away, with a beautiful quilt! 🙂 Enjoy the process!

9. Karen
    Karen says:

Hi Claire, i love your windy control tower shots – they made me chuckle! Photography is definitely not my strong suit and I love seeing how others try and stage their quilts. The Marine Den quilts look great too, thanks for hosting. :o)

10. Gina
    Gina says:

Rose star blocks are one of my favorite and yours are beautiful!! Your adventures at the control tower had me laughing so hard!! I am so glad the quilt top did not fly away!!

11. Claire
    Claire says:

Nice pattern you are creating, and I like both colorways. Sorry I have no WIP to share this week–but as soon as the linky loads, I'll check others' out.

12. capitolaquilter
    capitolaquilter says:

Love the pattern and that it is shown in two color samples. So glad the pins held on – I can relate to the windy photo shoot picture, I put mine on my linky – it was like flying a kite and I almost let go.

13. Ginny
    Ginny says:

Flying quilts Oh my! Amazing photo of that! Glad they didn't fly off – they are beautiful! The rose stars are gorgeous and thanks so much for the tute link!