Silent Auction Quilt

8601488699_280b4dfffe_o-1

So, remember the Spoonflower fabric I made with self-portraits of the kids in my daughter’s kindergarten class? Remember how I said I needed to use that fabric to make something for a silent auction, but I didn’t want to make a quilt?

Silent auction Spoonflower quilt

Well, of course, I made a quilt.

I considered a lot of other options, including pillowcases, a big pillow for a reading nook, a tote bag, etc. The problem was I had to make one large item that would entice people to bid high. Somehow, pillowcases or a tote bag just didn’t sound like something people would be willing to pay a lot for, even if it was plastered with their kid’s face! In the end, my husband was the unlikely one who talked me into a quilt. He said, “As much as I jokingly complain about all the quilts we have in this house, I do think people like them—I mean, who can’t use a nice quilt?” Thanks, honey. : )

Silent auction Spoonflower quilt

Of course, I spent so long trying to decide what to make, by the time I bit the bullet and committed myself to a quilt, I had exactly two days to make the thing, from start to finish. Ah, why do I do these things to myself??

But anyway, this is what I ended up with. I think it turned out really cute, in spite of being extremely rushed.

Silent auction Spoonflower quilt

Since I was working under such a tight time frame, I knew I wanted a simple design and a nice easy pattern to follow, so that I wouldn’t have to think. : ) Faith’s Lemon Squares pattern was perfect! It allowed me to feature some nice big squares of the kids’ fabric. I supplemented the kids’ print with some colorful fabric from my stash that coordinated with the little artists’ palettes.

Silent auction Spoonflower quilt

On the back, I used a nice big piece of the print, to show off all those great drawings. (FYI, some of these pictures were taken before the quilt was bound.)

The quilt ended up selling for $250, which I think is wonderful considering that it was a class project and therefore had a limited pool of bidders—only the parents of the other 20 kids in my daughter’s class would be interested in it, after all! I doubt a pair of pillowcases would have gotten even close to that much. And it fetched the highest price of all of the classroom projects (every class had its own). So I’m proud and happy that I could help raise some cash for the school, and I saw the high bidder walking out with it at the end of night, practically hugging it, she was so happy to have won it. That warmed my heart. : )

P.S. Just wanted to note that Heidi of Fabric Mutt has a blog hop starting today called “Girl Friday Sews”—all tutorials designed to freshen up your work space. I love stuff like that! Plus there will be giveaways, of course. : ) So head over there to follow along, and come back on Friday for my tutorial for a fabric-covered memo board!

1. FlourishingPalms
    FlourishingPalms says:

Good for you for being so generous with your time. The quilt turned out beautifully, and whoever bid highest and now owns the quilt, must surely cherish that they have an original "FreshlyPieced by Lee" quilt. Excellent work!

2. treadlemusic
    treadlemusic says:

That project was totally 'inspired' and really was the highlight of the auction, I'm sure! It is so hard to know what item will produce the desired response but I am so glad you listened to DH!! The "kids' art" idea was great and the resulting quilt is awesome….something I would have loved (even without having my child's art in it!!!!). Hugs, Doreen

3. Mary Reading
    Mary Reading says:

Love it, our school did something like that a few years ago… I guess Middle boy was in kindergarden and I got to work on his class quilt. he wanted us to win it so bad it was very hart breaking in a lot of way to put so much time, then bidding against a mom who had much deeper pockets then I. I did go on to win DD's quilt but it still not the same as the one that got away, the 6th grader was not so impressed as he would have been.

4. Katy Cameron
    Katy Cameron says:

Glad you figured it out in the end, $250 was well worth it. Also glad that you used that big piece of fabric on the back, I was getting all worried about the decapitated kid in that block on the front ;o)

5. Heidi
    Heidi says:

Amazed you did this in two days! You have further motivated me to spend less time picking and choosing, and hemming and hawing around with general indecisiveness so I can actual produce more! Great quilt!

6. Debbie Leschisin
    Debbie Leschisin says:

What a great way to raise money for the school. You were definitely right in making a quilt. I've done a couple quilts for charity auctions (one for a free clinic in Southwestern Wisconsin and one for a shelter in Northwestern Wisconsin). It is a really great feeling! I am amazed how quickly you finished such a great looking quilt.

Terrific!! Not only are you using your prodigious quilt-making skills, you also used your fabric-designing skills. A win-win for the person who now owns that quilt. Congrats!

Elizabeth E.

8. Jeneta
    Jeneta says:

How absolutely wonderful! The quilt is just beautiful and all the more special because of the amazing Spoonflower kids portrait fabric. What a lucky bidder!

9. Julie
    Julie says:

I love this! I am curious about how you make your Spoonflower fabric? Is it hard? Were you able to make sure each child's self-portrait was noted on the front? Amazing!

10. sophie
    sophie says:

I'm sure that whomever the auction winner is, they feel like they got a "steal" … such a happy, original quilt. Kudos to you for making it happen (in two days!)

11. JHNickodemus
    JHNickodemus says:

That is so great! I love the idea of having the spoonflower fabric. It leaves you with such a finished looking product! I'm going to have to remember this one!

12. Dinah
    Dinah says:

Thank you for posting such a beautiful work of art! I was wondering what size did your quilt turn out? I am thinking of doing something like this for my daughter's class but I'm not sure what fabric size to order from Spoonflower once my fabric pattern is created. We have about 30 kids. If you have time to let me know, I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks so much for your help. Sincerely, Dinah

13. Dinah
    Dinah says:

Hello. I know you are quite busy, but I wanted to thank you for posting such a beautiful work of art. I am thinking of doing a similar project for my daughter's two teachers, but I too may get crunched for time. I was wondering how much fabric would you recommend ordering from Spoonflower once my design is done for the size quilt you made? We have about 30 kids in the class. Thanks so much for your help.

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Dinah,

I ordered 3 yards of fabric. That worked out perfectly – I was able to fussy-cut squares featuring each of the kids for the front of the quilt and I used the rest as a large chunk on the back. The fussy-cutting led to quite a bit of waste, but I wanted to be sure each child got a block! However, many factors could change the amount you want to order – there are 21 kids in my daughter's class, so we do have fewer kids than you. The size/scale of the print might also change it. Each of the kids in my print were about 4-5" in size. Thanks for your interest, good luck! : )

Lee