WIP Wednesday: Still Plugging Away

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I feel like a broken record lately, since I seem to be working on the same projects, week after week.But I’m nearing the finish line on two of them:

Binding Bloom Bloom Pow
I settled on this soft neutral Pearl Bracelet print for the binding on Bloom Bloom Pow, and am busy hand-stitching away right now! Bloom Bloom Pow is headed for Spring Quilt Market in Portland and needs to be shipped tomorrow, so I’ve got to wrap it up!

Quilting Diamond Tread quilt
And I’m still slowly chipping away at the quilting on my Diamond Tread quilt. I finished the angled lines going in one direction and marked the lines going in the opposite direction with painter’s tape. I’m hoping the end result will be kind of a plaid look. Can’t wait to get back to this when Bloom Bloom Pow is finished.

Flags for Boston
And I whipped up a couple of flags for Boston, which I’ll post about in the next few days. I was so thrilled to read that these flags will be displayed at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts! What an amazing display that will be.

What are you working on this week? Share your WIPs! Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links.

Have a great week!

Loading InLinkz …
  1. Anne
    Anne says:

Using painter's tape is really clever. I need to remember that! Also, the Bloom Bloom Pow is going to be so stunning! Good luck finishing it!

2. Willit Neverend
    Willit Neverend says:

I laughed when I read your 'broken record' comment. I have been working on the one quilt for nearly two years. And many of my other projects have been WIPs for just as long, if not longer.

3. Catherine
    Catherine says:

I think I am really dim as I first thought the painter's tape was part of the design and was impressed but not convinced. It's going to be a fantastic quilt! Laughed at your broken record comment – don't worry:-)

4. MsMidge
    MsMidge says:

Looking forward to seeing your BBP finished! I have thoroughly enjoyed the process and my quilt is now my all time favourite that I have made! And thanks for the tip with the painter's tape! I shall give that a try!

5. melintheattic
    melintheattic says:

The peace flag is great– so many tiny pieces! I can't wait to see the green and white without painter's tape. And I totally agree that it's so hard to work on something long term. But you're so close! It will feel so good when you're done.

• Lee Heinrich

I actually think painter's tape is SO much easier than marking all those lines! Just unroll a big section of tape and stick it down. : ) Marking with a pen would require a ruler, so it's much more time-consuming, but the tape really doesn't, because you're just stretching it across. Also, those disappearing ink pens don't seem to last very long for me—a quilt like this would dry up a brand-new one I think. But that could just be that I haven't found the right brand?

Thanks for reading! : )

6. Dorian
    Dorian says:

Your Bloom, bloom, pow is awesome Lee. And very inspirational. I've made my own version of your blocks, with my bright Kona jelly roll. Thank you!

7. Lorna McMahon
    Lorna McMahon says:

Don't be sew hard on yourself. Quilting art takes time. I end up feeling regret when I rush a project… I get excited to see the results and then wish I would have taken my time! I love your straight-line quilting in plaid. It's looking great!

8. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

I like the idea of the painters tape for lines…would be so much quicker than the ruler and lines!
    I have so many projects going and so many more that I need to get started on!

9. Scrapatches
    Scrapatches says:

I really love your BBP pattern and never tire of looking at these pretty quilts. Thanks for this wonderful pattern. You banner flag is sew uplifting. Looking forward to seeing these little flags waving in at the MFA in Boston. I am linking up again today. Thank you for hosting this lovely mid-week quilty inspiration … 🙂 Pat

10. Franziska
    Franziska says:

I love looking at the bloom bloom pow quilt top. And such an accurate piecing. I finished piecing my blocks for my project. Unfortunately my blocks aren't as precise as your's. Any tips for me?

11. Patricia Lessell
    Patricia Lessell says:

Sometimes I wish I still lived in the States. Not often but when I go to buy fabric I really wish I still lived there because then I could have bought the fabric for this quilt which I just love but is so expensive here in the U.K. at £12.00 ($18.00) a meter (or metre as they spell it)! And if I bring it in from the States they not only charge me the 20% tax, which I don't object to, but they charge me $12.00 handling charge for charging me that darn tax. It's the $12.00 charge I object strongly to. Okay I'm finished whining now. But I do love it and you have done a wonderful job.

Looking good, I'd say. I sometimes love that we can follow a quilt for a while. We get to know where the sticking spots are (life interfering), plus it takes the pressure off the rest of us. But in truth, you've been quite busy, just not on BBPow!

Both quilts are looking good. I've used painter's tape for ages and love it for all the reason you outlined in your comment above. I'm fearful of those quilty pens, fearful they'll "reappear" or something. Tape, you just roll out and reposition as you go.

Thanks for hosting the LInky party every Wednesday. A good milestone for my week!

Elizabeth E.
    P.S. How'd your owl do in the auction?