WIP Wednesday: Chevron Love

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-7

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Happy Wednesday! I actually worked on something this week!I’m hosting a baby shower this weekend for my sister-in-law, so even though I should be getting the yard in shape or finalizing the menu, I’ve been planning out a quilt for her instead. : ) Gotta have priorities.

babyquiltmockup
Why does it seem to be so much harder to design a quilt for someone you’re close to? It took me days to decide on a herringbone pattern—nothing else seemed quite right. The fact that this quilt needs to be gender-neutral made it that much more challenging! I eventually decided on the mock-up above, based on this quilt by Cynthia of Hyacinth Designs. I just played around with the color placement to make it a little more dramatic.

strips for baby quilt
I’m hoping to have this one completely done in time for the shower on Sunday! When I decided this would be the Summer of No Commitments, I assumed that would also make it the Summer of No Deadlines. But of course I forgot about the worst deadlines of all: The completely unrealistic ones I put on myself! LOL.

What have you been working on? Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links.

P.S. If you are having trouble linking up: Those who are using Internet Explorer seem to be having trouble linking up. Pretty please, consider downloading Chrome or Firefox. They’re free, and a huge improvement over IE! You should have no trouble linking up from Chrome, Firefox, or Safari—I tested the linky in all three, and it worked fine for me across the board. I apologize for any inconvenience to IE users, but this format is the best I’ve found for a large linky such as mine, so I’d like to stick with it.

P.P.S.: In the Milwaukee or Chicago area? The Milwaukee Modern Quilt Guild is putting on a pop-up modern quilt show in Kenosha on Saturday, June 8, from 4 to 9 p.m. All the details are here. Several of my quilts will be on display, along with many othersmade by my talented fellow guild members. There’s also going to be live music and other fun things going on. It’s going to be a fabulous event, so consider dropping by!

Loading InLinkz …
  1. Kelly Young
    Kelly Young says:

I think the herringbone pattern will be awesome, and you've chosen great fabrics to fit the "gender neutral" requirement. I totally agree, those stump me sometimes and I have to work not to fall into the same color scheme each time. good luck with all of your planning- your sister in law will love it!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

2. Sara
    Sara says:

Quilters seem to put too much on themselves don't they?!! We are creative creatures that need to have our creativity fulfilled constantly!

3. Serena Edwards
    Serena Edwards says:

I just made myself a promise that I wouldn't put anymore deadlines on myself to finish quilts .. then in the next week I decide I had to have a quilt finished by a certain date … ugh, there's no end to our madness 🙂

4. P.
    P. says:

Your chevron quilt is going to be awesome! I love those colors and fabrics. Oh, how I wish I lived a wee bit closer to Kenosha to come to the quilt show on Friday. It looks like a good time!

I post via Safari or Firefox, and have no problems, if you want some feedback. And welcome back to WIP==I'm guessing you just needed a breath and some downtime. Summer's here and all of us need to take a step back from the crazies, yes? I laughed when you said that there are still self-imposed deadlines. Yep. We all do it. Good luck with the fabulous baby quilt!

Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

6. Aoife
    Aoife says:

That quilt layout is gorgeous!! If you only get the quilt top done by the weekend then you could always pin it to a wall as a backdrop for the shower??! So pretty though, can't wait to see it 🙂

7. Camilla
    Camilla says:

Love how that chevron's shaping up that's going to be stunning!
    So sorry but I've stuffed up! I tried to relink my post but can't delete my link and now it looks all odd. is it possible for you to delete my link so I can re link? or does it still work?

8. capitolaquilter
    capitolaquilter says:

Such a pretty project you've got started here. Wish I could see the Pop Up show – I'm sure it will be fabulous. Another Wednesday came and went without a link up for me – ugh, life! Next month I'll catch it and it's always fun to see what others are up to anyway.

9. Kelsey
    Kelsey says:

Lee that quilt looks wonderful, and I love the fabric you pulled for it. What software do you use to plan our your quilt tops? I've been using TouchDraw on my iPad but I'm finding too many limitations, time to switch! 🙂