WIP Wednesday: More Quilting

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-8
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Good morning, and happy WIP Wednesday!

Quilting the herringbone baby quilt
I finished my chevron baby quilt top this week, so now I’m back at it with the straight line quilting. (I marked the vertical strips with my red FriXion pen
so that I know where to turn as I’m following the angles of the herringbone pieces. I’m loving these FriXion pens for quilting! Just hit with an iron or wash the quilt to remove.)

Updated to add: Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the comments about the FriXion pens, here’s the full low-down on how they work and their possible problems, as far as I understand it. These pens can be removed with an iron or by washing the quilt. Ironing, however, may not completely remove the ink in all cases—some colors of the pens apparently can leave whitish marks on some colors of fabric. However, my understanding is that any “leftover” marks do come out entirely once the quilt is washed. There are also people who say that after ironing, the ink comes back if the quilt gets really cold! As bizarre as that sounds, this is a concern for me, living in Wisconsin—if I have to put a quilt in my car or something, the marks could come back. But again, supposedly this won’t happen once the quilt is washed. (I haven’t had the opportunity to test any of these scenarios myself, but I did a bit of research online before I used them, and this seems to be the general consensus.) So I would recommend caution with any quilt you’re not planning to wash when it’s complete. Always test! But if you know you’ll be washing the quilt, then you’re probably good to go.

Quilting the herringbone baby quilt
Since it’s a baby quilt, I want it to stay nice and soft, so I’m thinking less quilting is more on this one. We’ll see what I end up with though.

Hey, don’t forget, my new Sparkler quilt pattern is on sale for just $3.99—that’s half off! The sale ends Friday, so get it while the getting’s good! You can buy it here or here.

What are you working on this week? Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links.

1. Julie
    Julie says:

I was recently given a Frixion pen in a swap – I didn't realise it cam off with heat and am delighted cos now I can use the lighter pens on darker fabric.

2. The Cozy Pumpkin
    The Cozy Pumpkin says:

Great quilt. Just a note on the Frixion pen…Loved my frixion pen…until I drew on a piece of fabric and the darn thing bleached the fabric. So when I "erased" the line it was now a solid white line on the fabric. EEK! Tested it on some more fabric and it happened again…always on blue fabric. Switched to Sewline mechanical pencils and haven't looked back. But, I was soooooo sad as I loved my frixion pen. So, just make sure you test it out first on dark color fabrics. I was using the blue color pen…don't know if that made the difference or not.

• Tina Craig
      Tina Craig says:

I have seen white lines after ironing the frixion pen marks, too. I think they are ink residue, not bleaching. After washing, I think they come out. I've also heard that if you put your fabric in the freezer, the marks return! It's always good to be cautious when using a new product and test it on your fabric first.

• The Cozy Pumpkin
      The Cozy Pumpkin says:

Tina – It's not ink residue as the item was washed/dried multiple times. It was most definitely bleached or stained in some fashion.

And sadly this was not the first time I used this pen. So, it wasn't knew to me. When I first got it I tested it on my first few projects scrap pieces before charging in. I had used it on many varieties of projects and fabrics without issue, until I made this particular item, and the line didn't disappear. Again…always on blue fabric.

3. Jess @ LifeintheWhiteHouse.com
    Jess @ LifeintheWhiteHouse.com says:

It looks great! I love the colors in it: Fresh, fun and beautiful!

{I had a thought as to the commenting requirement for the link up: Perhaps asking people to comment on the person who linked up before them, in addition to anyone else. At least then, every one would get at least 1 comment}.

4. Janine
    Janine says:

Sweet quilt! And thanks forthe FriXon review – the coldness issue had been putting me off using them so it's great to hear they wash right out 🙂

5. JB
    JB says:

Lovely! Thanks for the info on the pens – they have been creeping up my "to buy" list because I'm challenged by straight lines and a bit fed up of unpicking wobbles.

JB @ Note to Follow Sew

6. Melissa
    Melissa says:

After an Instagram conversation, I actually did a little test run with a few different pens/pencils I have, including the Frixion pen. Here's the link to my blog post if you're interested. It's not scientific in any way, but it was interesting to see. http://www.weshallsew.blogspot.com/2013/06/quilt-marking-tools-put-to-test.html

And I have another quilt that I was very liberal with my frixion use, and I'm sorry to report that the marks do NOT completely come out in the wash. 🙁 It wasn't designed to be a quilting pen. I still LOVE my Frixion pens, I just don't write where the marks might inadvertently be seen. 🙁

• Lee Heinrich

Ooooh, this is good to know!! And worrisome! Well, my herringbone quilt is now done, and I ironed the whole thing, and while the marks are definitely not noticeable, they are not completely gone. I am planning to wash the quilt and machine-dry it tomorrow, so this will be a great practical test of how well this ink comes out in the end! I'll take a picture of it tomorrow pre-wash, and one post-wash, and then I'll even put the whole quilt in the freezer if I have to. : ) I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the link to your post, Melissa, it's very interesting.