, , ,

WIP Wednesday: WIPs From Way Back

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-7
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I decided to work on some sad and long-neglected WIPs this week, before starting a few new projects next week. That meant heading straight to my drawer of unassembled bee quilts. (Yes, I have a whole drawer of those. I know, it’s appalling.)

This HST star quilt practically jumped out of the drawer and begged to be finished. The blocks were made for me by the Sew Beautiful bee. I had fallen in love with a similar quilt made by Rita of Red Pepper Quilts (and I think she was inspired by Jeni’s Giant Vintage Star Quilt). So I sent the Sew Beautiful ladies a bunch of Kona Solid charm squares to make the blocks.

HST Vintage Star

So I finally hauled out those blocks, which are a nice, big 16″ square finished. I made two more of my own (which was quick and easy thanks to extra HSTs sent by my bee-mates), put the quilt together and added a white border to give it a little breathing space. (Just pretend you can’t see all those wrinkles in the quilt top! Eek!) I can’t wait to finish this one, but I’m having trouble deciding how to quilt it. Any suggestions?

Farmer's Wife - 23 down

Next I pulled out my Farmer’s Wife blocks. Yes! I did! (I can hear the collective gasp from all across blogland.) I spread the blocks out and … nope, still not feeling it. Darn. I like the blocks and all—I just don’t feel like making more of them.

What did inspire me was the color palette and the prints I used for these blocks. I had squirreled away most of the fabric so that I would have it when I decided to work on these again, but I think it’s time to put all these fabulous vintage prints back into GenPop. And I’m going to start with a project I’ve been intending to make for many months (years, really): A simple patchwork picnic quilt for my family.

Picnic quilt fabric pull

So here’s my pull for the picnic quilt—same color palette as my Farmer’s Wife, minus the pink. As with my Farmer’s Wife, I’m concentrating on fun, vintage prints. I was trying to remember if I’ve ever made just a simple patchwork-squares quilt, and I don’t think that I have! First time for everything! Can’t wait to get cutting and piecing!

What are you working on this week? Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links.

That will be a GORGEOUS picnic blanket. I am so sad about your mojo on Farmer's Wifes. I bought the fabric for mine awhile back and haven't started. I really want to start, but I promised myself to finish UFOs first!

The Star is GORGEOUS!

2. Anne
    Anne says:

Oooh that's a gorgeous fabric pull for your picnic quilt. Quilting is not my forte, but with all those HSTs, I just naturally think straight-line quilting. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you choose will be gorgeous. 🙂

3. Sweet Pea
    Sweet Pea says:

Definitely would look very complimentary finished in quilting on the diagonal (following the lines of the HST).
    Lee I love the way you use white in your quilts.
    I'm joining linky…after a long absence.

4. Adrianne
    Adrianne says:

I love the palette you've chosen for your picnic quilt! I also love the HST star quilt – I made one (also inspired by Rita's quilt) for a wedding gift for a friend, and boy, trimming all those HSTs myself wasn't too much fun. I reckon free motion quilting in the white sections would make the coloured triangles really sparkle, but straight lines could be fun too.

5. Steffi´s Candy Quilts
    Steffi´s Candy Quilts says:

Yum! Your HST star quilt looks great! I think I would quilt straight lines in the star points and something swirly in the white background, to intensify the contrast between the star and the white areas.

6. mila + cuatro
    mila + cuatro says:

I'm thinking straight lines matching up pieces between the blocks, which would end up being nesting octagons all over. I love white space in quilts.

7. Izzy
    Izzy says:

Love the star! And that colour palette for the patchwork quilt is simply gorgeous. I can't wait to see your progress on that one.

8. Nicole
    Nicole says:

I just pulled out a stack of old w.i.p.s too! How good it will feel to get these done.
    How about straight lines in the form of "V"s radiating from the center of the star?
    I can't wait to see your patchwork picnic quilt. Those are great summer time fabrics!

9. Lorna McMahon
    Lorna McMahon says:

How to quilt your star quilt? That is a good question. I did some googling for images and most have the background quilted in diagonal lines, like vee's, but a few also had a grid pattern. I checked out Serena Edwards bubble quilting suggestion, which I think was done on a long arm, and it was very complimentary to her star quilt. Here is a link http://sewgiving.blogspot.ca/2013/05/a-star-for-my-shining-star.html

Good luck with whatever choice you make, Lee! Looking forward to seeing the big finish! Thank you for hosting WIP Wednesdays.

Lorna:)

10. marcella
    marcella says:

The fabrics for your picnic quilt are lovely! What a fun project that will be.

I think your Farmers Wife blocks are the prettiest I have seen yet, but hey, if they don't inspire you put them back in that drawer until they do! Oh, to have only one drawer of unfinished projects 🙂 I've been quilting long enough to have filled my walk in closet, but that ok, eventually they all call to be finished and I'm having fun with that.

Hope you find the perfect quilting design for your star. Lately I've been in love with interlocking loops a la Denyse Schmidt.

11. Glinda   ♥
    Glinda ♥ says:

Hmmm, have the same problem with my Farmer's Wife 🙁 got stuck at 40 blocks last year. Your post, though, has made me look at them all again and I WILL finish this quilt … I will!!
    PS I think yours is fabby 🙂

12. Kelly Young
    Kelly Young says:

love the star!! I would echo quilt in the shape of the star. That would look fantastic! Love your pull for the picnic quilt, and I really like your farmer's wife blocks too!

You know, you could just make one more block, add some sashing, and make a throw sized quilt out of the ones you already have if you don't really feel like continuing long term. It would make a really cute little girl's quilt. The colors are great!

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

13. pandchintz
    pandchintz says:

You don't HAVE to finish your Farmers Wife – why not just make one more block to give you 24, then put these together into a quilt…….then you can move on!!

14. Becca
    Becca says:

The star quilt is pretty amazing. I would have trouble finding the right way to quilt it. There are just so many options. Think of all the wonderful designs you could fit into the negative space! Love, love, love the fabrics for the picnic quilt. So much bright fun in there. Thanks for sharing.

15. Dianne
    Dianne says:

Choosing Quilting designs is not my forte but… you could echo the lines of the outside of the star, do a pattern of some sort in the star and fill the pinwheel in the middle with a circular(read spinning)design. Of course I could be out of my mind so really, you had best decide ;0)
    Love the fabrics for the picnic quilt it will be lovely and sunny.
    The FWB could just become a table topper with the number you have there and if there is an odd man out throw it on the back. Failing that they would make lovely coasters OR you could have a giveaway so they can inhabit someone else's drawer.

16. Carol Jordan
    Carol Jordan says:

I never started the Farmer's Wife, but I think your fabric choice makes it much more interesting. Do make it into a quilt at some point.
    I am starting the Tula Pink's 100 blocks – there are a lot of similarities – modern v vintage?

Comments are closed.