WIP Wednesday: Better Late Than Never …

8253389546_fdb631e427_o-4

WIP Wednesday at Freshly PiecedYeah, so last night I braved the 9,000-degree heat to go out with the Milwaukee Modern Quilt Guild ladies, had two margaritas and some gelato (because those things go together, right?), and then went to bed early, exhausted … and in the process, I forgot all about WIP Wednesday! So why not roll it out at around noon instead? It’s the last week of summer, after all.

bowtierequired

I spent my time this week working on my retro Modern Yardage quilt, which fabric designer Allison and I have decided to call “Bow Tie Required.” The top is finished and I’m so happy with how it turned out. One of those rare instances where it came out looking exactly like the image I had in my head beforehand. (The fabric is available here.)

bowtiequilting
I asked Allison if she had any thoughts about quilting, and she did—she loved the idea of free-motion boxy straight lines. Of course, I’ve never done anything like that before. But I also knew that she was absolutely right, that was a fantastic quilting choice for this design. So I’m giving it a try. I was super nervous on my first block—as you can see, some of those lines aren’t exactly straight! But I noticed definite improvement on the second block, so I’m keeping at it. I think I’ll be proficient at it by the end of the quilt.

And speaking of Modern Yardage, they are nominees in Martha Stewart’s American Made contest. Throw some love their way and go vote for them. The grand prize winner gets $10,000 to further their business and a feature on marthastewart.com, which would be a nice break for a small start-up business like Modern Yardage.

What are you working on this week? Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

Stay cool out there!

1. Anne
    Anne says:

Ooooh "Bow Tie Required" is just the right name, and that boxy quilting looks really good even at the beginning! It's going to be a real stunner when it's done. 🙂

2. Kelly Young
    Kelly Young says:

love the quilting on that one! it's almost like squared stippling. I'll definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

ps- isn't it so nice when quilts come out looking exactly as we pictured them in our mind's eye?

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

3. Leanne
    Leanne says:

Your quilt is lovely and the square stipple looks great. It is one of my favourite quilting patterns now. I am going to try to get back into the WIP Wednesday post regularly again, thank you for continuing to host this.

4. Leanne
    Leanne says:

I wondered where you were, but how lovely to have this last WIP of summer echo what we should all be doing: staying up late with friends and sleeping in the next morning (of course, not that you did–just the blog did).

I'm impressed with your Bow Tie Required quilt. My bro-in-law is a longtime wearer of bow ties, and it makes me think of him. Great design, as usual, and smashing fabrics! Kudos!

6. hydeeannsews
    hydeeannsews says:

that is such a snazzy quilt! the name is a great choice.

as for the quilting, it's a great choice, too and even your slightly wobbly lines echo some in the fabrics. practice, practice! it's great to see even an established quilting gal like you tackle something new you're not yet comfortable with. =)

7. Cille
    Cille says:

The magaritas and gelatine sounds like the perfekt combination… Everything goes with a magarita 😉 your quilt is honestly really nice. From the picture you showed last week I didn't think I was going to like it… But I do 🙂

8. Elizabeth
    Elizabeth says:

Love the blocky quilting design! It's perfect for that adorable quilt!

I was a little late posting my WIP (made it in the wee hours of the morning). Glad I made it in and am enjoying looking around at all the cool projects in process! Have a great week!

9. Sandy
    Sandy says:

I'm a traditionalist, but am quickly being seduced by these wonderful Modern quilts. Yes, "fresh" – what a great description. I missed this round of sharing, but will try for the next one, as I definitely have plenty of UFO's!