, ,

100 Quilts For Kids Baby Quilt

10030056223_173baec112_z-1
100 Quilts for Kids quilt

Because “in just under the wire” is now apparently my quilting motto, here it is—my entry for 100 Quilts for Kids, the charity quilt drive hosted by Katie at Swim Bike Quilt.

I’m just gonna say it: This quilt is kind of a hot mess. Fortunately, you have to look closely to fully appreciate the poor construction of some of these blocks. And my efforts to minimize the cut-off points just seemed to make the background wonky instead of improving things. So just don’t look too closely. Please and thank you. : )

100 Quilts for Kids quilt

That’s close enough!

100 Quilts for Kids quilt

Okay, I actually like this particular block a lot, so you can look a little closer at this section. : )

Other things I like about this quilt: My polka-dot background choice, the red cross-hatch binding, and the deliberately over-the-top vintagey goodness of the whole thing.

I quilted it with vertical wavy lines. This is my go-to form of quilting when I want to finish something in a hurry and without having to concentrate very much. Just set your machine to the wavy-line decorative stitch, adjust the settings to a much longer stitch-length and maximum width, and there you have it. It’s quilting that looks free-motion but actually isn’t. You move the quilt straight, the machine does all the work.

100 Quilts for Kids quilt
Threw a binding on and I was good to go. All told, I spent about two hours quilting and binding this little quilt. It’s nice to go for the fast finish every once in a while. I haven’t yet figured out where I’m donating this, but I hope whatever child ends up with it enjoys it, flaws and all.

The 100 Quilts for Kids linky closes tonight at midnight, but even if you’re reading this after the linky closes, stop over there and check out all the beautiful quilts! What an amazing outpouring of effort and kindness.

Have an A1 day!

1. Cat Mom
    Cat Mom says:

Hello Lee, I'm new to your blog. But I just wanted to tell you that a) your quilt is darling, and b) I MUST have a polkadot background on the next quilt I make!

2. wipgirl
    wipgirl says:

I'm a little jealous of the thought of a machine that can make a wavy stitch line – I was thinking to myself that it couldn't actually be that quick having to move the quilt around to get that wave, and then kept on reading… I really do need (okay, want) to buy myself a new machine one of these days.

3. SuzyMcQ
    SuzyMcQ says:

I love it! Who ever deemed that all quilts have to be perfect? Charming and well-designed and made with love, especially for such a good cause, is really what it's about. You have a generous heart….that's the best part and much better than perfectly matching points any day!

4. Anne
    Anne says:

I think your "hot mess" is just lovely. And I totally belong in the just under the wire club. The 100 Quilts for Kids is probably one of the few times I've gotten something done ahead of time but that's only because I was making it for our guild's charity that had an earlier deadline.

5. Lorna McMahon
    Lorna McMahon says:

Congrats on your vintagy finish, Lee! It is gorgeous and I love the dot background you chose. The wavy quilting is great and makes me wish I had that setting on my machine, but I can do the long zig zag. Any child would be happy to receive this beautiful quilted hug!

6. Joanie's Trendy Quilts
    Joanie's Trendy Quilts says:

Lovely quilt and congrats getting it done just in time! I love your curvy stitching. I have been wanting to try this sometime. Love the bright and perk blocks. Children seem to be drawn by quilts with lots of colors and this one is perfect.

7. Tracy
    Tracy says:

Isn't it amazing how we always focus on what we think are the problem areas of our quilts. All I see is a gorgeous lovely blocks, fun background, want-to-snuggle quilt 🙂