, ,

WIP Wednesday: A Big Finish and an Exciting Start

Screen-Shot-2013-10-23-at-2.03.48-AM

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Before we get to any of my in-progress projects, this happened yesterday:

Vintage Quilt Revival advance copy

Yes! It’s my advance copy of Vintage Quilt Revival, delivered just in time for Fall Quilt Market! That makes VQR my biggest finish to date, and I now officially have one less WIP. : ) But I’ll post more details about the book in the near future, don’t even worry.

When I wasn’t paging through my actual very own for-real book, I was working on a sewing project that I’m so excited about, I ended up starting two completely different quilts made from the same block. Yep, that’s a first for me.

First quilt.

I’m kind of obsessed with this block all of sudden. I found it in one of my traditional block books—it’s called Grandmother’s Two-Patch. It’s my favorite kind of block: Traditional, decades old, but would look right at home in any of today’s modern quilts. I made the blocks shown above with Denyse Schmidt’s Florence line. It makes for a nice big block, measuring 16″ square.

Second quilt.

Then it occurred to me how cool it would be to make an entire quilt of these units radiating outward, instead of laying them out as normal blocks. (Forgive the messy layout above. The dog kept walking through it. Hopefully you get the idea.) So suddenly I had to start that quilt too, right that minute. You know how it is. : ) And I had to use that fabric stack from last week’s WIP Wednesday post.

Two quilts. Same block. Fun!

I’m undecided about which of these two variations to concentrate on first, so for now I’ll just keep switching back and forth as the mood strikes me. (Although both quilts will have to wait until next week, after I’m home from Market.)

You can find a pattern for the Grandmother’s Two-Patch block here, but this one uses templates, and of course I paper-pieced mine. Although I quickly discovered a problem with my paper-piecing strategy: In order for the block to come together nicely in the final steps, you really need to press every single seam open—including the paper-pieced seams. I ended up pressing all my seams open after the units were trimmed and the paper was removed, which was a bit of a hassle. I’m going to brainstorm easier ways to accomplish the open seams, since I would love to make a paper-pieced pattern using this block (if there’s interest? Yes?).

With that, I’m off to Houston tomorrow morning for Market—if you’ll be there too, please stop by our Schoolhouse session at 3:05 p.m. on Friday. We’ll be talking about all things Vintage Quilt Revival and displaying some of our projects from the book. And have a fabulous week—if you’re not headed to Houston, it’s the perfect time to catch up on some WIPs!

Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

1. Megan
    Megan says:

Yaaaay!! Congratulations on the book! I've been looking forward to it since you announced it! I'm also stoked about this new block – I'd love it if you did a quiltalong!

2. Erin Quinn
    Erin Quinn says:

Firstly I'm so excited for you about the book. It looks wonderful.
    Secondly, I love the look of these blocks. Your going to have two fantabulous quilts 🙂 I really like the radiating points. It's going to be extraordinary.
    E xx

3. Quiltin Jenny
    Quiltin Jenny says:

Congratulations! What an amazing feeling to hold that book in your hands.

The block is very cool, and my brain did the same as yours thinking "It MUST radiate!" I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

4. Sarah Elliott
    Sarah Elliott says:

Congrats on the book! And, yes! I'd be interested in that paper pieced pattern. That block looks like fun and I love the looks of the one that is going to be radiating out. And have fun at Quilt Market!

5. Elsa
    Elsa says:

So exciting to have a book with your name on it! I've got it on hold on Amazon ~ waiting!
    Love the block and that it's paper pieced makes it an even better block ~ thanks so much for the link! Think I've got to make one ~ or ten! tee hee

Congrats on the book – beyond exciting for you I'm sure! And it'll be fun to see how these two quilts come along. Exactly my feelings in my current project – I just had to see what would happen with my idea! Have fun at market!!

Brilliant stars. Brilliant book! (Does this mean we get our copies soon? Can't wait!). Have a great time in Houston, being a brilliant shining star–you have worked hard to get to this place, so enjoy it!

Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

8. hydeeannsews
    hydeeannsews says:

quite often when I see your quilts, I think "kapow!" or "shazam!" because they are just bursting out with so much color and energy. they often seem to be exploding. I love this one – in both colors. what a fabulous block find! and congrats on that book of yours. can't wait to get my own copy. =)

9. Books_Bound
    Books_Bound says:

I am so excited for your book! I love every quilt Faith has ever made, and I'm a big fan of yours too! I love the traditional elements of quilting (I'm not a huge wonky fan, for example) but with bright colors and new layouts, so this sounds like it's going to be a must-get for me. I'm certain it's going to be a wonderful book!

10. Anne
    Anne says:

I love the radiating outward idea and the fabrics you are using too. Look forward to seeing it all come together. And CONGRATS on your book!!! Very exciting indeed.

11. Beth
    Beth says:

Yes, please, to the paper-piecing pattern. And hooray for you, holding your book in your hands. Right now I'm still gazing at it on my wish list. But soon…

12. Suze
    Suze says:

Congrats on your new book! I cannot imagine the thrill. Yes, there is interest here in a paper pieced pattern for the block. I love the precision of paper piecing. I have a friend who had a complete disaster with paper piecing. When she took the paper off, all the stitches came out. YIKES! Since that happened, I haven't been brave enough to take any paper off. Anyhow, I just have to tell you that I will soon be ordering your Cartwheels pattern. I'm going to have to try to make several. I say try because I am disabled with fibromyalgia and I am a breast cancer survivor which both limit the use of my arms among other ailments. My maiden name (and now my middle name) was Cartwright. You cannot image the number of times I was called Cartwheel. I have two brothers,three nephews, three nieces, my son with that middle name, and six great nieces and nephews with that last name. Alll except my son live at least 1000 miles away. Wouldn't it be fun to make as many as I do and send them all at once? They don't all have to be big. Some of the greats are still very young. Of course, one of my nephews is 6;3", too. His uncle, my first husband is 6'7', so I know the challenges of tall folks. Thanks for a great pattern and name. Again, congrats on your book. I hope you are having fun in Houston. If you see the gals from Cotton Patch in Tulsa, tell them "HI!" That's my fav shop here. They are very, very helpful without being pushy in anyway. I've had them talk themselves out of a sale being helpful.