, ,

WIP Wednesday: Waiting, Waiting

IMG_3118

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
If I had a nickel for every time I compared writing a book to having a baby … well, I wouldn’t need to write another book. But it really is an apt comparison, and as the Vintage Quilt Revival
“due date” draws closer, the excitement and nervousness and waiting and suspense all feel quite familiar.

Stardust Quilt from Vintage Quilt Revival
But it’s the excitement part that’s been dominating lately! Next week, Faith and Katie and I will be starting a series called “Meet the VQR Quilts.” We’ll be revealing three projects each week until you’ve had a peek at all the designs in the book. I’ll be showing you my projects on Mondays, so come back next Monday, Nov. 18, for a look at the first one!

Also fun: I finally get to make my own versions of some of my co-authors’ amazing quilts. You might think, after two years of looking at these designs, that I’d be sick of them by now and ready to move on to something else. But I think it says a lot about this book that I’m totally not. (And I hope that bodes well for all of you wanting to make these projects as well!)

So I’ve got two new Vintage Quilt Revival quilts all planned out, starting with an autumn-inspired version of one of Katie’s quilts in these fabrics. (Yes, there’s brown in there. And the apocalypse is not nigh, as far as I know.) It feels like forever that I’ve been wanting to make these quilts—I’m so excited that I finally can. Out in the open and everything, posting progress on my blog and Instagram for all the world to see. Yay!

Crazytown modern quilt

Beyond that, I finished my Crazytown quilt top and I am in love! But I’m nervous about quilting it. Lots of people on IG suggested quilting it in a spiral/concentric circles outward, and I agree that would be entirely awesome … but I did that kind of quilting on a mini once and swore never again. : ) And that was a mini! So I’m going to hold off on quilting this top for bit, while I consider my options.

Shooting Star Modern Mini Quilt

And here’s another finished top from this week: My sample mini quilt for the class I’m teaching at the Portland SewDown. I’m really looking forward to the class—this little mini teaches so many things at one time. We’re going to hone both our paper-piecing and traditional-piecing skills, while talking about design strategies for taking traditional blocks and turning them into bold, graphic, modern pieces. (There are still a few openings for the Portland SewDown – click here to register.)

So, all in all, quite a week for me! Now let’s see what you’ve been working on:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

1. Dorian
    Dorian says:

Your crazytown quilt is sooo cool! And very inspiring. I have a fq set of solid purples, I am getting some yellows and oranges and am going to be making a radiating quilt soon too! Can't wait to see peeks of your book!

2. Catherine
    Catherine says:

Crazytown is amazing! IMHO concentric circles doesn't seem quite in character with the wonderful sharpness and sparkliness of all those points. Too ripply and not sparkly enough.

I'm excited, too, about your book. The snippet of the quilt you show reminds me of Joen Woelfrom's ideas about combining two blocks to make a new design–I love that idea and so I'm glad to see it in its current iteration. Both the snippet, and your Crazytown quilt are fresh and lovely, and fun to see!

Can't wait for my book!

Elizabeth E.

4. Glinda   ♥
    Glinda ♥ says:

Gosh, you have been busy again this week! Also, LOVE the Crazytown quilt – who wouldn't? Not sure what to advise on the quilting … it's a tricky one …but you'll figure it out and it'll be delightful 🙂

5. hydeeannsews
    hydeeannsews says:

that circle quilting could be cool . . . but I kinda like the idea of lines radiating out from the center. too obvious? whatever you decide on (and good for you for thinking about it first!), you've got another explosion of goodness here.

6. Karen
    Karen says:

Lee I can see why you LOVE Crazytown — oh my it is just beautiful! I think you can do some orange peel quilting on it and it would be awesome – and without the bother of the circles… Can't wait to see what you decide. Thanks for the party!

7. Elsa
    Elsa says:

Such beautiful quilts ~ I especially like 'Crazytown' ~ it's amazing.
    Broke down and ordered Vintage Modern. I know it's going to have lots of inspiration in it!

8. Sarah
    Sarah says:

Oh a spiral would be awesome! I did one early this year. It was the bane of my existence for about a week. I went the wrong way so the size of the quilt going through the throat of the machine got bigger instead of smaller. Duh! Won't do that again. Oh well, you live and learn. I do love the quilting on that large square quilt so I will do it again, just going the right way next time. Your crazy town quilt top is gorgeous, but you really are crazy cakes with all that piecing!