, ,

Dancing Squares Quilt from Vintage Quilt Revival

Screen-Shot-2013-12-16-at-9.20.54-AM-1

It’s time to meet another one of the quilts from Vintage Quilt Revival. Today let’s check out my Dancing Squares quilt.

Modern quilts often use huge expanses of negative space (a look I personally love!). But that’s not the only way to use negative space. This quilt is a great example of how to use small bits of negative space to bring a whole new twist to a classic block design.

It may not look like it, but Dancing Squares is entirely made up of a single traditional block—Rolling Squares, which is a variation on a Rolling Stones block. In every alternating block, I just dropped out the color in strategic places to change the way the blocks interact with each other. It’s a different approach to negative space than just adding large stretches of it to an asymmetrical design. But it’s a fun approach that can get you some really interesting results!

Shipping update: Amazon still isn’t shipping (I cannot imagine why), but you can easily get the book at Barnes and Noble and Walmart. It’s also available in my shop, as well as Katie’s and Faith’s. If you’re in a hurry or need the book by Christmas, I suggest any of those outlets over Amazon!

1. Sara
    Sara says:

They gave me an expected delivery date of the 31st from Amazon. I don't mind. As long as I get it!

I ADORE the colors in this quilt…so bright and like a garden! The backing fabric looks like a Joel Dewberry print at first glance.

This is such a beautiful quilt, Lee! It is really neat how eliminating color in just one place can really give the quilt an entirely different feel.

🙂 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

3. ChristaQuilts
    ChristaQuilts says:

The colors and design of this one are fantastic, and the straight line quilting was a perfect choice! In fact one of my favorite aspects of this book is that you gals quilted most of them yourselves 🙂

4. Anne
    Anne says:

Beautiful. I just love how a single block (traditional or new and modern) can be so interesting when used in multiples. That's a big part of how I design.

5. Patti
    Patti says:

I really really need this book now! But Amazon aren't selling it until April, I think, in the U.K. so I am going to have to wait. I wish one of you three lived here in England then I could buy it now. You guys have done an amazing job with this book Lee.

6. Lora
    Lora says:

Wow, your quilt is so great, I love the colors! I like how you can play with negative space to really change a design and this is such a great example of that. Thank you for sharing! Time to go investigate this book…