, , ,

WIP Wednesday: Lotsa Tops

IMG_3225

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Hey, it’s Wednesday again, isn’t it? How did that happen?

You know, I always have a lot of WIPs going. What I don’t usually have are a lot of finished—but unquilted—tops. When I finish a top, I feel like I’m in the homestretch—so there’s no point in letting it sit once it gets to that point! I almost always manage to quilt them right away.

Which is why it’s so odd that right now I have no less than four unquilted tops cluttering up my sewing room. Unacceptable! I might need to have a Christmas vacation quilt-a-thon to catch me up.

Anyway, here’s one of two tops I finished this week—my version of Faith’s Geometric Slide pattern from Vintage Quilt Revival. But instead of using the Double Z block, as Faith did in her pattern, I used one of Katie’s blocks from a different project the book: the Geometric Star block. Geometric Slide + Geometric Star = Geometric Awesomeness. In fact, maybe that’s what I’ll call this one. And this demonstrates one of my favorite things about Vintage Quilt Revival: You can swap blocks within the project patterns, so there are an almost infinite number of ways to make these projects very much your own. Of course, now I just have to figure out how to quilt this puppy.

And here’s another top that’s finally finished after a whole year in the making. I had my friends in the Milwaukee Modern Quilt Guild bee make star blocks for me, out of Monica Solorio-Snow’s Winterkist line. I gave them all free reign to make whatever star block they wanted, and they really did it up, don’t you think?

My girls are so excited about finally having a Christmas quilt! I guess that means this one should be first on my “To Quilt” list.

My other unquilted tops are Crazytown (shown above) and my Giant Vintage Star quilt made for me by the ladies of the Sew Beautiful bee. In fact, maybe I should set a goal to get them all quilted by January 1! Is that too ambitious?

So, what are you working on this week?
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

BTW, thanks for all of your feedback last week on the order of the links. I think I’m going to stick with reverse order for now—so the most recent links will appear at the beginning of the list. This gives everybody a chance to be at the beginning of the list for at least a short time. But you never know when I might get the urge to switch things up again—I do like to keep you all on your toes!

I am stunned by the amount of tops I have too. It just isn't like me. I am not going to let myself get away with it next year!!! But I still need to get through Countdown Christmas!!!!

2. Joanie's Trendy Quilts
    Joanie's Trendy Quilts says:

Lee you definitely have some beauties needing their quilting! I have a quilt that I just completed where the gals from the Charlotte Modern Quilt Guild created a variety of star blocks. So I really have an appreciation for your beautiful Star blocks made by your friends. The Geometric Slide is an amazing design and colorways! You have a lot of negative space to think of something that will wow! that quilt even further! Crazytown is so pretty and interesting to gaze upon! I will be looking forward to seeing how you quilt these beauties! Thanks again for hosting your weekly linky party.

3. Míša
    Míša says:

The Geometric Awesomeness is AWESOME! I love it, it's perfect! 🙂 Unfortunately, I don't have any WIP to share this week. All I do is Christmas presents and that's a big secret!

4. Paula @ Sewy Stuff
    Paula @ Sewy Stuff says:

Oh the Christmas star quilt is AMAZING! Love love love. I know I'm an anomaly (in many ways other than quilting!), but so far (six months into quilting) I've finished each quilt before starting another. I do some other little projects (coasters, purses, quick gifts) along and during a quilt, but never another quilt til I finish one. Of course, like I said, I'm still new … having just finished my 5th quilt.

5. Anne
    Anne says:

Oh how I wish I could claim to be like you with no unquilted tops. I have a box full. Can't wait to see your book btw. I've loved the projects you've shared so far on the blog.

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Linda – there is no pattern, it's my own design. I'm considering making a pattern for this one, but it's somewhat of a challenging quilt, so I'm not sure whether I will or not. Thank you for your interest! : )

6. hydeeannsews
    hydeeannsews says:

first of all, great wips, as usual!

secondly, my (your) book arrived yesterday! I'm loving it so far. such cool concepts. it's so completely versatile and informative. and inspiring! I look forward to snuggling in with it over the weekend and studying it more closely. your "slide" quilt above is fantastic – the staggered blocks was just one concept from the book that I really like. you three hit a homerun here!