WIP Wednesday: With Guest Host Cindy from Hyacinth Quilt Designs

DSC_3756

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Hi! I’m Cindy and I blog at Hyacinth Quilt Designs. My husband came up with the name – you can read about the origin over on my home page – he’s easily amused!

I’m so thrilled to be guest posting here today. I’m a huge fan of Lee’s WIP Wednesdays and honored to be right on the home base. I’ve found some of my favorite bloggers from the linkies – so be sure to check them out!

Okay – down to business. It’s a busy time of year and like me, many of your WIPs may fall into one of two categories: holiday gifts and decor, and finishing up some projects by the end of the year.

I made a resolution at the beginning of 2013 to finish the year caught up on my quilt top pile. For some reason I would rather sew 2 pieces of Anna Maria Horner fabric together than quilt straight lines on my top, so the tops tend to pile up easily. Who still remembers their yearly resolutions by December? I sure don’t, but was reminded of this one when Amanda from Westwood Acres posted a challenge on Instagram. Start 2014 with a clean slate. And to make it enticing she offered some weekly prizes! It was all the motivation I needed, so I set out get the last 3 tops on my pile quilted. I love a clean slate – or whiteboard in my case.

I tackled the biggest one first and finished the binding over the weekend! The pattern is Thmbleblossoms On A Whim done in Florence by Denyse Schmidt.

In the binding stage is my second and the one that’s been sitting around the longest – at least a year. The quilt is Superstar, a pattern in Elizabeth Hartman’s book, The Practical Guide to Patchwork. I don’t know why it took me so long to finish it! The quilting was super simple – organic {purposely uneven} lines – that took no time!

And just this weekend I started quilting my Round and Round quilt. This is also a Thimbleblossoms pattern and started for a quilt-along hosted by the designer, Camille, on Instagram {can you tell I like Instagram?}

When the shoulders can’t quilt any more, I’m slowly piecing this pattern, Starlight, another Thimbleblossoms pattern. I’m a big fan of using the stash and mixing lines, and this is a perfect example. Can’t wait to see it come together!

I’m betting some holiday decor is on everyone’s list nowadays! My book, Simply Modern Christmas, was released in August and I decided to remake the tree skirt from the book in a mini size for my mini tree. Those strips finish at 1″!

And of course some handmade holiday gifts: flannel nightgowns with knit leggings, a couple of notebook covers and a potholder.

So the end of 2013 is feeling good! Nothing like a clean slate to start the new year. It’s a good thing because I’ve splurged on some new fabric and hope to be sewing some of those aforementioned Anna Maria Horner fabrics together soon!

So, what are you working on this week?
1. Link up any post from the past week that features at least one unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog. (Or grab the WIP Wednesday button for your sidebar.)
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

P.S. (from Lee): InLinkz recently updated their linky tool, which means I can now run the WIP Wednesday links in reverse order! That means, at least for this week, the most recent links will be at the top and the oldest will be at the end. What do you think? Do you like reverse order, or should I stick with the old way, with the oldest links at the top? I could also do random order. Place your votes in the comments!

1. Becca
    Becca says:

Man Cindy, all of your projects look great!

Those AMH fabrics look great, glad I got me some. 🙂

Lee, hmmmm, maybe random order would be fun. But first come-first serve is good too? I've never seen the reverse order. That's cool too. Thanks for hosting!

2. Anne
    Anne says:

Oh how cool to see Cindy here! 😀 The garden fence block was the very first quilt I ever finished, and I am still really fond of the design. 🙂 Beautiful work, as always.

As for inlinkz order, as a west coaster who generally gets to be near the top (it goes up before I go to bed on Tuesday) I really love the idea of reverse order. It puts less pressure to get the link up Tuesday night (am I the only one who worries about this stuff? maybe!) and lets everyone have a chance in the limelight on the front page. 🙂 It seems way more fair. I know if I link up later and end up on page 2 or 3, far fewer people come visit, and I love people coming to visit, and I'm sure others would like that chance, too. 🙂 And it makes it more fun to stop by and check up on other links! 🙂

I'm feeling a little embarrassed about admitting all that stuff, but I'm gonna put it out there anyway.

3. Sel
    Sel says:

Beautiful works, Cindy! Love your interpretation of the Superstar!

And either reverse or regular – no random, please!

I think reverse might be good to give everyone a chance at the top. I notice that fewer people visit my page when I'm off the first, and while it's 5pm Wednesday in my timezone when the post usually goes up, it's good to give everyone a chance to be on the front page for a while!

4. joanne
    joanne says:

What gorgeous projects Cindy has on the go, I adore that tiny tree skirt! I'm really trying to resist starting the round and round quilt, but her version is not helping!!!
    I was going to vote random, but Sharpie's point is so true!

5. Elita en Suisse
    Elita en Suisse says:

Since Cindy's all caught up perhaps she'd like to come round my house for a while & help me stay on point?! Now I have to make a cute tree skirt too… Well done! Lee, I like the reverse order for the linkies (ditto to "gives everyone a chance at the top" comments).

6. Sarah Elliott
    Sarah Elliott says:

Cindy, you have some amazing things going on! I especially love your Superstar quilt! Lee, I like the idea of starting with the newest at the top, but I'm OK with the oldest at the top too. I'm not crazy about the random order idea- that would disorient me too!

7. hydeeannsews
    hydeeannsews says:

really lovely work, cindy! congratulations on all your end-of-year and holiday finishes. =)

lee, I love this link up. it's been one of the biggest helps in getting me connected with other quilters and bloggers. so thank you for it! I often find, living on the west coast, that even when I get up in the morning to link in, i'm at the bottom of the line. it's nice to be at the top today! but maybe random is good, too, so that it's never a sure bet where you end up. whatever you decide, I like to see it switch up on occasion!

8. sherry
    sherry says:

i like the idea of reverse order…it gives everyone a chance at the top…altho when i work evenings and stay up late i can some times be near the top…but on the other hand i don't really mind if i am not…i just want to quilt, share my work thru my blog and look at everyone's work…i usually go thru the whole list even if it takes me several days

9. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

p.s. I like the links all on one page myself, but the reverse order is cool as I am never near close enough to being early enough to make page one. I do go through all pages while picking which blogs to visit.

• Lee Heinrich

Thanks for your feedback, Marsha! A few people have mentioned having the links all on one page. Unfortunately there are often more than 200 links, which is just unwieldy for anybody who is looking for something on my blog OTHER than WIP Wednesday—that's a whole lot of scrolling! So I'm sticking with the paging widget for now.

10. Mrs.Pickles
    Mrs.Pickles says:

what lovely work! thanks for the inspiration. I think a random order would be good. I can't always stay up late enough or get up early enough to link up right away so the randomness would give everyone the chance at sometime to be on page one 🙂

I adore those Thimbleblossom patterns and you've used gorgeous fabrics Cindy! That AMH is just luscious!
    Lee – I also prefer reverse or normal order for the same reasons as Sharpie and maybe you can switch between the two. No random though, it's a pain if you're trying to look through them all (wish I had time to do that!!)

Great projects Cindy! I have no hope of finishing all of my WIPs in the next 3 weeks but I am tackling what I can 🙂

Lee- I think alternating order each week would be awesome if it isn't too much work for you!

1–Like the links broken up (as you mentioned, so I can read your blog without it going into Sludge Mode Speed)
    2- Like Reverse Order, or Regular Order, but not scrambled (surprise us by varying it when you feel like it)
    3–Fun to see Cindy's work and to know that she's the one with the great Modern Christmas book! Thanks for including a guest host once in a while–it's a real treat. And as always, thanks for WIP Wednesday!

Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

14. Jessica
    Jessica says:

Love the quilts! They look amazing 🙂 You really get a lot done, Cindy! Also, I like reverse order, because I usually can't link up until late afternoon/nighttime on Wednesday, and it's fun to be on the first page!

15. knitnkwilt
    knitnkwilt says:

I enjoyed your show n tell, Cindy–I agree on using stash, and when you do you almost always end up mixing lines. And I like to play that way.
    Lee, either first first or reverse, but please not random. When I get the blog post with the linky, I usualy go to the end, figuring that the ones at the beginning get the most action. I browse as many blogs as I can (and sometimes do them all), but when I can't do all, I like to start with the latest. So just so I know where the latest are…

16. Jayne
    Jayne says:

I was surprised to see the reverse order (pleasantly). I loved the change. Maybe change it up…surprise us. I am one of those people who always page jump….but it fun to see me on the first page! 😉

17. Rebecca
    Rebecca says:

Wow Cindy I wish I was as committed as you to being organised and clearing my plate for the new year…not gonna happen this year, love your pale green backgrounds.
    I'm a mix it up girl newest to oldest one week and reversed the following week?
    Up to you Lee it's your blog, just suit yourself

18. Valerie
    Valerie says:

I prefer the reverse order! Since people add their links at different points in the day, I stop back a couple of times to see what's new. It's easier to navigate, thinks me, if the newer links are at the beginning! Love WIP Wednesday! {grin}