WIP Wednesday: Quilt On

preciseimprovblocks

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Happy Wednesday! I feel like I’m juggling a lot of WIPs lately, so let’s get to it, while I try to keep all these balls in the air. : )

I finally took the plunge and started quilting Crazytown. (And yes, a Crazytown pattern is in the works! Just hold your horses!) I was lucky enough to see some quilts by Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studios over the weekend, and her creative use of a walking foot in her quilting inspired me to try something similar on Crazytown. I dialed up this multi-stitch zig-zag, and away I went. I love how it’s turning out!

Speaking of Jacquie, here are my “precise improv” slice-and-insert blocks from a workshop that I took with Jacquie on Sunday. I liked the idea of slicing-and-inserting only in straight, 90-degree lines—no angles here! I made these with a gorgeous bundle of Oakshott shot cottons. Now I just need to decide what they’ll become: Pillow? Mini quilt?

Here are Faith and I with Jacquie at the workshop (photo courtesy of Faith). If you have the opportunity to take a class with Jacquie, I highly recommend it! Her tips made me feel like I could actually be an improv quilter. LOL.

And you guys: I’m starting something new today. WIP Wednesday will now have a sponsor each week!* This week’s WIP Wednesday is sponsored by Westwood Acres, a well-organized shop with a great fabric selection.

Photo courtesy of Westwood Acres

One of shop owner Amanda’s specialties is bundling, so check out her amazing bundle-of-the-month clubs, including a Liberty club for all you Liberty of London fans, and the “Inside Voices” club, offering hand-selected low-volume bundles that you won’t find anywhere else. Inside Voices is currently sold out, but Amanda tells me they’ve almost got enough people to add another set of bolts, so don’t hesitate to get on the list if you’re interested!

Okay, back to you! What are you working on this week? Here are the linky rules:
1. Link up any post from the past week that features an unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog.
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

*You may have noticed that I added paid sponsors to the blog a few months ago. This was a decision I struggled with literally for years. I didn’t want it to look like I was “selling out” or compromising. And I didn’t want to clutter up my little corner of the web with a million ads. But the simple truth is that it takes money and time (lots and lots of time!) to run this blog the way I want to, so sponsors became a necessary part of the equation. As a result, I think I’ve got a nice little collection of good places to shop on that sidebar over there, which I hope you will use as a resource when you’re looking for fabric. And each Wednesday, I’d like to introduce you to one of my sponsors. Please show them some love for making WIP Wednesday possible!

Quilt on, indeed 🙂 And good for you for forging a sponsorship arrangement that works with your vision for the blog. Amanda's shop is amazing — if I hadn't given up fabric purchases for the time being I'd definitely pick up some of her lovely goods. In the meantime I'll just keep stalking her brilliant IG giveaways!

2. Lisa
    Lisa says:

Ooooh, the creative use of your walking foot looks amazing. What a fun and funky stitch – now I am off to go check my machine and see if I have that one haha!!!!

3. Marsha Cooper
    Marsha Cooper says:

I was liking the large zig zag of the quilting too. Is that a stitch on your machine?
    Of course my most expensive machine is my Bernetta 12, which I bought for half price special at the state fair for $199.
    I dream of a larger machine some day!

4. sophie
    sophie says:

I think you might find Jane Sassaman's art quilts interesting. She also uses fancy stitches for quilting in interesting ways. Your quilt is looking great! Quilt On!

5. Kris
    Kris says:

I just found a stitched zig zag on my machine too the other day. I love it. I did some top stitching on a string quilt I made. I wish you luck with all your projects.

6. karen
    karen says:

You are one busy quilter- always an inspiration! Love your "precise improv" blocks. Sounds like a fun weekend. I took a class with Jacquie at Quilt Con and it was by far one of my favorites!!!

7. Newbie Jen
    Newbie Jen says:

I really like your precise improv blocks. I can't wait to see your finished project.

Also, I am totally enjoying your Vintage Quilt Revival book! I got it a few days ago and have been drooling over all the projects. I just can't decide which one to try first.

8. Patti
    Patti says:

I love your new method of quilting it is totally awesome. I also love your Vintage Quilt Revival book – I bought it from Amazon here in the U.K. because I live here.

9. Leanne
    Leanne says:

I love your improv pieces and thank you for hosting this link, I try to join at least once a month. I just received a wonderful order from Amanda, her shop is excellent.

10. KellyS
    KellyS says:

I am absolutely loving that quilting! And Jacquie is so amazing, such a wonderful person and inspirational quilter. I wish I lived closer to Chicago! 🙂

11. Shelley
    Shelley says:

Hello Lee! I'm a regular reader of your blog and also the Vice-President of the Crystal Lake MQG in IL. One of our members asked me to post a link to your website on our guild website. Would it be okay to use the photo of you, Jacquie, and Faith in that post? Both Faith and Jacquie have spoken at our guild and I thought it would be fun for them to see you as well! I'd also like to include a plug for yours and Faith's recently released book 🙂 Just let me know – thanks!!