A Safari Moon Quilt

Welcome to my stop on the Safari Moon blog hop! I’ve got a quilt to show you, using Frances Newcombe’s Safari Moon line, of course.

This quilt has been a bear to work on. It went through more design changes than I care to mention—I made changes literally right up until I sewed the last seam! But I think the beautiful colors of the Safari Moon line positively shine when paired with this background color, which is Kona Cotton in Regal (another one of my new favorites, I think!).

But notice anything missing in the photo above? Like, say, half the quilting? I was FMQing along this weekend, all in a groove, and then, bam! My bobbin case somehow unseated itself and went all crooked inside my machine. Broke my needle and everything. Like so:

See those red arrows? They’re supposed to be lined up. How does something like that even happen? Nothing I did would get it back on track and working again. Every time I put the bobbin case back in straight, it would get all whacked again after about every third stitch. So, my machine is headed to my repair guy at the earliest convenience. The whole thing is making me very unhappy.

But hey, check out what I did get done! One of the reasons I don’t use more dark background colors in my quilts is because of the challenge this leads to in quilting. I like my quilting thread to blend, but there’s no single color you can choose that will blend in all the areas of a high-contrast quilt like this. And you guys, I hate burying knots. Sometimes I feel like I’ve spent my entire quilting career thinking of ways to avoid burying knots. Fortunately, Katie convinced me to get over myself and quilt with two colors, knots and all. And I’m so glad she did! It was definitely the best choice for this quilt. I’m stippling in the dark blue areas, and I did wavy lines in all the other areas.

I’ll be finishing this one up as soon as my Janome dealer nurses my machine back to health. And I’m definitely writing a pattern for this quilt! I’m cautiously optimistic that I can have it out and available in the next two weeks. (Though that’s dependent on my machine, of course!)

And in the meantime, my back-up machine, the Hulk (ironic nickname courtesy of my guild friends) is back. Oh, Hulk. No offense, but I didn’t want to see you this week.

Thank you, Frances, for having me on your blog hop and asking me to play with your lovely fabric line! Now you all should go buy some Safari Moon, pronto!

1. Janet M
    Janet M says:

I think I have the same machine (Janome 7700?). I also had the bobbin case 'jump' out of place while I was FMQing. Fortunately, I must have stopped sewing before any damage was done. I was using the APC too. Since that incident, I mostly use the machine for straight line (love the Accufeed) or cautiously do FMQ with the larger throat plate opening. I don't know if the APC had anything to do with the mess but I'm afraid to use it now. I hope you can get your machine fixed soon and finish that beautiful quilt!

ROBERT YOUNG says:

my 7700 did the same thing thank god they fixed it and I went right back to quilting last xmas I traded her in for a 8900 and I have to say I love it even more keeping my 6600 tho 4 ever
    have a great day

3. Melissa
    Melissa says:

Your quilt is lovely, the Safari Moon fabric really is contrasted nicely against the blue background! Sorry to hear about your machine…hope it makes a quick recovery!:)

4. Purl Buttons
    Purl Buttons says:

I feel your pain. I got a Janome for Christmas and I was afraid of it until WELL into January. Then, in February, I thought, I will REALLY do a good job cleaning THIS machine. The repairman will think it has hardly been used! Unfortunately, the blot of fuzz underneath the bobbin was not fabric and thread fuzz. It was the wick. I said WAS the wick. I am using my back up machine this month, too.

5. Katie
    Katie says:

that's such a lovely quilt and beautiful fabrics. I have one of those Hulk machines also for travel and in short sports she does well but I don't think I would want 2 weeks of sewing on it — here's to a quick return for your other machine

6. frances newcombe
    frances newcombe says:

Lee thank you so so much I adore this quilt, its just breath taking! I am truly sorry that your machine broke : (
    Thank you for all your hard work. I wish I could give you a million dollars! This post is beautiful and I seriously can't thank you enough. Love Frances

7. Sandy W
    Sandy W says:

Bad about the machine….but stunning quilt!! love the quilting you did get done!! I am going to be starting your Diamond Tread pattern next week for my daughter and son in-law, but will be looking for this pattern when it comes out!! Hope your machine is fixed soon!!

8. knitnkwilt
    knitnkwilt says:

I like your quilt, and the fabric IS lovely. I too hate to change thread, but like you, often want the quilting to blend, and I like high contrast. I swear I have spent more time trying to figure out how to avoid thread breaks that it would take to knot and hide knots!

9. Susan at TheBoredZombie.com
    Susan at TheBoredZombie.com says:

It's fantastic! I love the blue color such a refreshing change. 🙂

So sorry about the machine, that's a real bummer. I thought my threader broke the other day was just about ready to find the repair man's home number! Weirdest thing – it just started working again for no good reason. OK with me. 🙂

10. Elsa
    Elsa says:

So sorry to hear about your machine ~ hope she's fixed in a jiffy!
    Love that star on the dark blue background! Glad you're making a pattern!

11. Lisa C
    Lisa C says:

Great job! I, too, feel the same way about background fabrics — sometimes even backing. Burying threads is no fun (I'm afraid I won't find them all to bury) but the final result is worth it. Good luck with your machine.

12. Serena @ Sewgiving
    Serena @ Sewgiving says:

Wow you've really made that fabric line sing! Sorry to hear about your Janome – mine (8200) did something similar, but I'm new to FMQ and to the machine so I thought it was something I did wrong. I managed to get my bobbin casing back in but it kept happening until I rewound the bobbin – strange!

13. Judith
    Judith says:

Oddly enough I have had the exact same problem with my machine this week (I think you also have a Horizon). You probably just need a new bobbin holder. I ordered one for mine and will try this first and if it doesn't work then its off to Mr. Repair guy too…..

14. Sarah
    Sarah says:

Love the pattern design! The fabrics look magnificent on the navy background too. Sorry to hear about the machine. Hope it's sorted by now. I hate burying threads too. I tend to use a tie off stitch to begin and end quilting. Seems to have worked over the last 12 years!