, , , ,

Spiced Chai Quilt

IMG_3819-1

I guess it’s a good sign that I want to make a whole bunch of quilts from my own book, right? Here’s another recent finish—my version of Katie’s Spiced Chai quilt from Vintage Quilt Revival.

This might be my favorite quilt in Vintage Quilt Revival. It’s simple, it’s quick and fun to make, and I think it should be a poster quilt for modern-traditionalism, because it’s got it all going on. A beautiful traditional block, plus so much of what I love about modern quilts—asymmetry, unexpected block flips and rotations, strategic color placement that emphasizes the design, use of negative space. The list goes on.
So I knew I needed my own Spiced Chai. And this was one of those rare instances where I didn’t feel the need to make a lot of design tweaks, because Katie’s quilt is kind of perfect just the way it is.
The colors in my quilt are similar to those in Katie’s version, just a little more subdued. I even used Katie’s quilting methods—except that I swapped them by putting the squiggly lines into the leaves, while the swirlies were the background. The only significant change I made was to use woodgrain prints instead of solids for the neutral blocks. Because I do love me some woodgrains. (These are from Erin McMorris’s Lush Uptown line.)
And look: more swirly quilting! After stubbornly refusing to do any FMQ other than stippling for about three years, I’m kinda proud of myself for branching out recently, can you tell? : ) Remember what I said in my last post about burying knots? This quilt totally helped me get over my fear of knots. All the more reason to love it.
Definitely one of my new favorites.
  1. Jessamie
    Jessamie says:

I love this quilt pattern and like you I like the colour way as well – it is on my to do list 🙂 well done on also getting over the burying the knots moment! I have a tonne to do at the moment this should give me the kick in the butt I need to finish it!

2. Cynthia
    Cynthia says:

I Just received your book in the mail and I have fallin in love with Chai. I Can't wait to get started on it. I love the wood grain it works so well. Thanks for sharing Cynthia

3. Lorna McMahon
    Lorna McMahon says:

Your Spiced Chai is super sweet, Lee! I could not agree more with the appeal that this design holds. I love it! Your quilting looks gorgeous. Good for you branching out! You should be very proud of this fabulous finish!

4. Laura
    Laura says:

Gorgeous!

Is there a trick to burying knots? I hate it too. I'd live to do the more complex quilting, but don't want to deal with the stops and starts.

5. Poppyprint
    Poppyprint says:

It's a beauty, love it for all the same reasons you do. Do you use gold eye self threading needles to bury your threads? They make it bearable (and so much easier!).

6. Elsa
    Elsa says:

I finally got to have a good look through a few books I got at Christmas time (I've been busy) and Vintage Revival is my favorite and this quilt was one that really stood out.

7. One English Teacher
    One English Teacher says:

Love, love, love the woodgrain fabrics! I saw your quilt in the modern quilt section at the Lancaster AQS show. I wanted to squeal and grab everyone around to say, "hey, I read her blog. You should too 🙂 "