, ,

WIP Wednesday: Vintage Quilt Revival at Pottery Barn

PB4

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
It’s been a week of working on projects that I can’t show here on the blog just yet, but I have been busy with other things as well—like my “Vintage Quilt Revival” events at Pottery Barn!

Photo by Faith

Faith and I had so much fun at these events. I’ve given plenty of formal lectures at quilt shops and guilds, but I’ve never done anything as casual and friendly as these meet-and-greets. It was so nice to just chat with everyone one-on-one, answer questions, and talk about fabric and design.
And what a great opportunity to bring our quilts to a wider audience. We spoke to lots of non-quilters, many of whom had never seen a modern quilt or knew they existed.

Quite a few people inquired about buying our quilts (sorry, most of them are not for sale), and several copies of Vintage Quilt Revival
were purchased by people who don’t even quilt! Yet. : ) So I’d say the whole thing was quite a success.

Photo of Faith and me by Jean Heideman – thanks Jean!

A huge shout-out goes to Pottery Barn for approaching us about these in-store events. I think it’s fantastic that they bring in local artists and designers for events like this. We’ve seen so many examples of large corporations copying designs by individual artists or trying to drive them out of business. Partnering with independent craftspeople makes good business sense for all involved, but it’s still not happening enough. So I hope you’ll all support retailers like Pottery Barn that are willing to make the effort!

What are you working on this week? Here are the linky rules:

1. Link up any blog post from the past week that features an unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here to my blog.
3. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

1. Marly
    Marly says:

Wow, how's that for saleswoman-ship: selling quilting books to non-quilters. That reminds me of selling fridges to Eskimos!
    Seriously, though, you have probably made some converts there and not surprisingly: that's a wonderful way to showcase your quilts and to prove that not everything quilted is antique.

2. Tina in Boston
    Tina in Boston says:

Hi Lee! I was wondering if they'd approached you or vice-versa. It is so great that they reached out to you and that they are celebrating independent crafters. It's so encouraging and it's about time. Congrats and keep up the great work!

3. Anne
    Anne says:

I hadn't really thought about it from that direction, but you're right, that's a wonderful thing that they're doing partnering with independent artists! I'm so happy for you that you had such a great opportunity to show off your beautiful quilts to a wider audience. 😀 And I'll definitely feel better about shopping at Pottery Barn in the future!

4. hydeeannsews
    hydeeannsews says:

this is awesome! I bet it was a wonderful experience. and you are totally right about the kudos to PB for reaching out rather than copying/squashing the individual artist.

5. Sheri
    Sheri says:

Thanks for your lovely post and having the link up party. I found quite a few things I loved here (including your pottery barn post with your lovely quilts) and left several comments to express my appreciation!

6. One Wee Bird
    One Wee Bird says:

I've always heard Pottery Barn referenced on American TV shows but never known what it actually was…looks nice…but looks amazing with all your quilts scattered around! No wonder people are buying the books regardless of whether or not they quilt 🙂

7. Shar
    Shar says:

I bought your book when it first came out. My 17 year old daughter picked it up the other day and feel in love with the quilts. It is such a great book.

8. FlourishingPalms
    FlourishingPalms says:

This was such a great opportunity for you, Lee. And of course, Faith too. Wish I could have been in your pocket to hear what people had to say, and the questions they asked. You had a rich opportunity to be THE person to introduce quilting to people. How cool is that?! It's a testament to your communication with them that they bought your book… even non-quilters! Wow! You're a true pioneer, out there getting your hands dirty (so to speak). Thank you for being such good representatives for our craft.

9. Anne
    Anne says:

Your display of quilts and all looks just lovely in Pottery Barn. I wish I lived closer than Colorado and could have come by to meet you and visit. I do hope this collaboration leads other retailers to value local handmade instead of mass produced.

10. Rebecca Grace
    Rebecca Grace says:

You know, your quilts look awesome with PB's furniture. And I think it's amazingly wonderful that you have probably just inspired some new quilters who saw your quilts and bought your book. Now they just need that voice in their head that says, "I think I can, I think I can…"