, ,

Wavelength Quilt

explosivevariationsm-1

This has been a long time coming, so I’m pleased to tell you that I have a new pattern available today! Wavelength is my twist on the classic Grandmother’s Two-Patch block.

I think Wavelength is my best pattern to date. Here’s why I love it:

You can paper-piece this quilt, or piece it the “regular” way, using templates. I know not everyone shares my love for paper-piecing (although I’m determined to convert all of you eventually!) So this pattern includes both paper-piecing templates and traditional-piecing templates. Choose whichever method you prefer.
You can paper-piece this quilt even if you have zero previous paper-piecing experience. Complete, step-by-step instructions for paper-piecing this very simple block are included, with how-to photos for every step. Just follow the instructions, duplicate what you see in the photos, and you’ll be able to do it! I think it’s pretty foolproof.
The pattern includes two design variations (the “Exploding” version and the “Traditional” version shown below), plus two sizes for each design variation, crib size and lap size. So you can get two very different quilts out of one pattern. Choices are good, right?

And to top it all off, the PDF version of the pattern is on sale, for a limited time, for just $4.99! I don’t put my patterns on sale very often, but I always put them on sale in the first week of release, so don’t miss your chance. Click here to buy it from my shop, or you can purchase it on Craftsy. A hard-copy version is also available, both retail and wholesale, and shop owners can purchase it through my distributors, Brewer and Checker, very soon.
My Wavelength was done in scrappy jewel tones, with an even scrappier black-and-white background. I spent months collecting all those black-and-white prints, and then used almost all of them up in one fell swoop for this quilt. But I can’t think of a better way to have used them! I absolutely love the completed quilt and I think it’s now my favorite. (This is the lap size, which finishes at 59″ x 77″.)
It took forever to decide how to quilt this puppy. I would have loved to do concentric circle quilting, radiating out from the orange star, but after my experience with this mini quilt from “Vintage Quilt Revival
,” I didn’t think I was up for it on something so large! And every free-motion quilting design that I considered seemed too soft and flowy for this design. So I finished it off with zig-zag line quilting, using my walking foot and the multi-stitch zig zag on my machine. Love it!

And then there’s the Traditional design variation of Wavelength. Isn’t it amazing how different the same unit can look in these two very different layouts? This version is done in Denyse Schmidt’s Florence fabric line for Free Spirit, with Kona Silver for the background. Silver is such a great light gray—perfect when you want something light, but not white. As you can see, I haven’t had time to quilt this one yet, but I have the perfect plan for it and will post it again as soon as I’m done!

And in the interest of keeping it real, there is an oops on my Wavelength quilt that I thought you all would enjoy. : ) This is what happens when your quilt back is about a half an inch too small! That gray polka-dot strip was added after the quilt was basted! It was a make-it-work moment. LOL.

As always, I can’t wait to see what you do with this pattern! If you Instagram it, hashtag #freshlypiecedpatterns or #wavelengthquilt. Enjoy, and have a wonderful springtime week!
  1. everinprogress
    everinprogress says:

This would be a fantastic quilt along! Not that I get anything done these days. My 7 month old does his best to make sure of that- but he is pretty cute :). Love pretty much everything about your quilt, and I'd love to try paper piecing eventually

2. sophie
    sophie says:

You reminded me of a time when if I could find a way to paper piece a block that was the path I chose. These days, I tend to not choose that path except for those things that are more easily paper pieced than any other way. Curiously, I have a UFO (made from feed sacks and not at all modern looking) that uses the same unit as in Wavelength–I didn't paper piece it or use templates. They were all made using liberated quilting technique. You can see the blocks here … and then I did it again with string-pieced blocks here.

3. ChristaQuilts
    ChristaQuilts says:

Wavelength turned out great! I think the zig zag quilting was the perfect choice 🙂
    I'm glad you showcased the Kona silver. I'm planning on using it in an upcoming project and am hoping it will be the "perfect" light gray.

4. pandchintz
    pandchintz says:

Hi Lee, I love this quilt and tried to buy the PDF pattern, but it kept coming up with an error message saying there was nothing in the cart (there was one of this pattern before I checked out). Am I doing something wrong?? Thanks for your time, Meredithe

5. annieb
    annieb says:

Hi Lee, This is a lovely quilt. When you refer to the Classic Grandmother's Two-Patch Pattern, are you referring to 2286 in "Encyclopedia of Pieced Patterns," by Barbara Brackman? I am teaching myself to design my own patterns, which is why I ask. Thanks.
    Best,
    Anne

6. Lois Kindley, Creative Gypsy
    Lois Kindley, Creative Gypsy says:

I love this! I’m trying to purchase your bundle with the new pattern and the shopping cart shows the item and the total $10.99 but when I hit check out it says there’s nothing in my cart. Then when I try to send you a message it repeatedly says my spam entry is incorrect. Are you having problems with your website? Help??

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Lois – you're the second person who's told me they've had that problem, but I've simultaneously had many other orders come in, so I'm not quite sure what's going on! I apologize for the problem. I tried it myself and it worked for me. You do have to select your country in order to check out, so maybe that's the problem? I'll keep checking into it, but in the meantime, you can also purchase the pattern from Craftsy (same price and I get the same amount from Craftsy as I do from my own shop). Sorry for the inconvenience! (By the way, you're a no-reply blogger, so I have no way of replying to your comment by email.)

7. Barbara
    Barbara says:

Congrats on another AWESOME pattern!! I think the hard part will be deciding which version to make, they are both great. Love your work and have also been enjoying my copy of Vintage Quilt Revival. :o)

8. Emily Carnes
    Emily Carnes says:

I love paper piecing! The traditional version is my favorite but I love what you did with the colors on the modern version. Is the quilting wavy lines? Looks like it made for an amazing finished texture!

9. Annette
    Annette says:

I really love the quilting you did! Looks really awesome! I especially love that you shared your keeping it real moment. I just finished a quilt top that I actually cut off and reattached a border after the body of the quilt was too big…all while it was completely pin basted. Ugh! Somewhere my math failed me. It's refreshing to see we all grow a little bit with each quilt. THANK YOU for your humility!