Sew-Off: Apparel Edition

12-3

I’ve long wanted to make more clothes. Well, make any clothes, really. : ) Not many people could work with fabulous designer fabric all day, every day, without sometimes thinking about how awesome it would be to take some of that fabric and just whip up a shirt to wear out that night.

But a couple of things always stood in my way: First, I had to learn that quilting fabric does not, in fact, make for great clothes. I know some people can manage it, but as a novice clothing sewist, that person is not me. The drape just isn’t right or something, so whenever I’ve tried it in the past, the results always looked very “home sewn.” And if you watch Project Runway you know that’s the kiss of death right there. So I need to learn more about all the other materials out there, like voile and knits and all that good stuff.

Second, if you make clothes for yourself and blog about them, you kind of have to model what you’ve made, right? It’s like part of the contract. And this may sound silly, but that’s a huge stumbling block for me. I’m not big on selfies (of myself, anyway). I think I’ve hated every picture of me taken in the history of ever. A model I just ain’t. : )

But then Sukie and Jemellia and Lee M. at May Chapelle hatched this idea for a Sew-Off. It’s a friendly little challenge designed to give us a kick in the butt to motivate us on something. Sukie and Lee are doing a quilting challenge next month, but for this month Jemellia challenged me to make … wait for it … clothes.

Okay! No more excuses! I bought some voile and other non-quilting-cotton, and I am making some clothes, darn it, and I might even put them on for a picture or two! Well. We’ll see about that last part. : )

This week Jemellia and I are tackling is the Tiny Pocket Tank by Grainline Studio. I said to Jemellia, “What’s the easiest pattern on your list?” She said it was this one. So let’s do this thing! Follow along with both of us as we each bust out a Tiny Pocket Tank. Jemellia’s over at JemJam, check her out.

1. poppyinstitches
    poppyinstitches says:

nothing like a challenge to spur you on, the Sew-off is a great idea. Good luck and remember you are learning and not to be too critical as you go, what you learn on this pattern can be used on the next.

2. Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl
    Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl says:

I hope that you have a lot of fun doing something different! And I totally can understand the picture issue, but I also have to say that you are beautiful inside and out. We'll love to see your results, modeled or not. 🙂

3. Amy Friend
    Amy Friend says:

I feel the same way you do. Quilting cotton doesn't cut it. I occasionally make things for myself but hate taking pics of them because I never ever like a picture of myself.

4. Karen
    Karen says:

Lee, I'm rooting for you! I've sewn clothes most of my life, but can't seem to convince myself to try making a quilt. So. . . I'm inspired by your leap into sewing clothes–maybe it'll give me just the boost I need to get underway with quilts. You go, girl!

5. Karen @ Pieces of Contentment
    Karen @ Pieces of Contentment says:

So I'm not the only one who doesn't like to be in front of the camera. Over the least couple of weeks I've sewn three items of clothing for myself, the first time in over 10 years – and they turned out well. But the modelling bit has put me off sharing as yet….

6. verykerryberry
    verykerryberry says:

So pleased you are going to do some dressmaking. The photography side is a challenge for dressmaking bloggers, its rare to find someone happy on the other side of the camera posing for pics., plus there is the practicality of either using a tripod and timer (takes forever!) or finding a willing person to take pics whilst you stand feeling like a fool! When other dressmakers look at sewing blogs though, they are photos to see how the clothes look on a normal person, maybe someone a similar shape/height/age to themselves as well as how the fabric you chose works on that pattern and to find out what the pattern was like. Dressmaking blogs have a lot more detail than an IG post and that all helps too- you can hear the pitfalls or successes before you start! Good luck with your tiny pocket tank!