WIP Wednesday: Round Up

ScreenShot2014-10-01at2.11.32AM

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
I have so much to tell you guys today, so let’s get right to it!

1. I finished my Modern Solids Challenge quilt! I’ll be posting more about it very soon, but here’s a sneak peak.

2. Yes, I am doing a Fair Isle sew-along! I’m dying to make one with a red background and white and gray design elements—and I can’t wait to make it along with you all. At this point I’m thinking the first post (which covers the cutting) will be up on Oct. 23 and the final post will be on Dec. 4, which means you’ll have it finished in time for a few weeks of Christmas enjoyment. I’ll have an official announcement of the sew-along in the next week or two, along with all the details you’ll need. In the meantime, you can buy the pattern here.

3. This week I’ll be getting this stack back out, for another quilt-along that I’m doing on We All Sew, Bernina’s blog. I’ve got such a fun design planned for this one too, in Bari J’s lovely Emmy Grace line for Art Gallery.

4. And. And. As the Modern Solids Challenge winds down, why not give myself another challenge, right? My friend Jemellia of JemJam and I have decided to have our own little “Bernina-Off” during the month of October. Jemellia and I have the same machine, a Bernina 750, so we thought it would be fun to try making some the same things this month to see who can do it faster/better/stronger/amazing-er. The catch? Jemellia wants to make clothes. Yes! Clothes! Okay, deep breaths. : ) But the truth is, I have long wanted to make more clothing, and this seemed the perfect way to force myself out of my little quilty box. So I am (gulp) going to make some clothes in October. I don’t under any circumstances expect to make clothing faster/better/strong/amazing-er than Jemellia, but I’m looking at it as a sort of garment-making boot camp. Stay tuned! I promise to post the results even if they are disastrous! You’ll be able to follow our progress both here, Jemellia’s blog, and on Instagram (here’s my feed and here’s Jemellia’s).

5. Finally, I just have to share something with you guys: My September was pure insanity. It really was. I was way overcommitted, especially given that I was still trying to catch up from being gone so much over the summer. As a result, many things (both quilty and personal) seemed to slip last month, and I’ve struggled with the thought that I haven’t been doing everything to the best of my potential. But it’s a new month—a fresh start. And see that stuff up above, items #2 through 4? That’s all I’m committed to for the whole month of October, and it feels pretty good. I’m always trying to hit the right balance of work and family and “just for me” stuff. I was way off balance in September. But all we can do is tell ourselves we’ll do it better next time, right?

I can’t wait to see what YOU’RE working on this week! Here’s how to link up:
1. Link up any blog post or Instagram photo from the past week that features an unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. To link an Instagram photo, click the Instagram icon at the bottom of the link-up screen, and use the URL of your IG feed as the link (for example, my URL is www.instagram.com/freshlypieced). Please hashtag #wipwednesday and mention me, @freshlypieced.
3. If you are linking to a blog post, please link back here to my blog somewhere in your post.
4. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links, either IG or blog—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!
  1. nerospost
    nerospost says:

Hi Lee! Your solid quilt looks beautiful but I'm in love with the Fair Isle quilt! As a Finnish I just love these patterns and have made lots of pullovers with them. I shall aboslutely join your QAL. x Teje

2. gnomeangel
    gnomeangel says:

I'm loving your solids quilt and have been lusting after it on IG. I can't wait to see your QAL come to life – that pattern looks like so much fun. Enjoy the "down time" this month. 🙂

3. Kaja
    Kaja says:

Sorry it all got a bit much for you in September. Life can get like that sometimes! I hope October has better balance and that you can enjoy the projects you've got lined up – can't wait to see what you do with garment making.

4. Melissa Corry
    Melissa Corry says:

I can't wait to see more on your Modern Solids Quilts. It is absolutely stunning!!! And I totally hear you on the balance thing!! I appreciated your words of starting a new month fresh. Thanks!!

5. Jayne
    Jayne says:

Its so easy to get caught up in everything other than family…I feel I'm in that spot right now! While quilting has been a huge blessing and creative outlet, it has been know to consume me! I hope you have that easy, relaxing and family october that you deserve.

6. SuperMomNoCape
    SuperMomNoCape says:

I can't wait until the whole Modern Solid Quilt is revealed because the sneak peek you gave is looks like it's going to be amazing! And everyone will have such fun on the Fair Isle quilt-a-long.

7. molly b quilts
    molly b quilts says:

Your solids quilt is stunning and awesome!!! Your Fair Isle is a lot of fun. Though I must admit I like to think of it as the (less refined, but enjoyably-almost-named) Christmas Sweater quilt! Have a great day!

8. Debi
    Debi says:

Hi Lee,

I am loving the new quilts. Fair Isle stitch along is soooo tempting (speaking of over committing). Bonus for me, the piecing structure you used on the solids might solve a problem I've been working on. 🙂

Garment sewing is a blast. It is great to make clothes you want in fabrics you love, especially when you have a nice simple pattern. I used the book you pictured to make a whole wardrobe of skirts for my daughter and myself this summer. Fun, fun, fun!!

Sorry to hear that Sept was super stressed. Sounds like you have a good plan for Oct though. Happy Fall!!

9. Karin
    Karin says:

I'm so glad you are doing the QAL! I am finishing up my half of a quilt today (then I get to send it to my mother-in-law and she is finishing it, quilting it, and binding it so I'm off the hook!), then there are 10 pairs of PJ pants to make for Christmas presents. I'm inspired to try and finish all of them before the QAL starts!

10. Laura
    Laura says:

Quilt looks beautiful. I love the first day of the month for the "fresh start" it always brings to the month, and an opportunity re-evaluate where I"m putting my time and energy.

11. charlotte
    charlotte says:

I love your modern solids sneak peek. It looks amazing, even just that small bit. I have the fabric and the pattern for the Fair Isle quilt. I hope to be able to keep up so I can get this done in time for the holidays. So glad you are doing the QAL. Thank you so much.

12. Jana
    Jana says:

September is very busy month for most people. Take care of yourself, it would be fine… Love your quilts so much, I decided to try my first QAL with you. Hopelesly I could do it…