, ,

WIP Wednesday: Aaaand We’re Back

ScreenShot2015-01-06at11.42.28PM-1

Happy 2015, you guys! I hope your holidays were happy and included lots of sewing time. : ) I had a busy couple of weeks, and am happy to be back to our normal schedule now. Or whatever passes for normal around here.

I spent my holiday break working on a baby quilt. I’m using Elizabeth Hartman’s Preppy the Whale pattern. The baby’s mom is a veterinarian, so an animal-related quilt seemed like a good idea. (Not that she treats whales or anything. But I think she’ll like it anyway.)

These whales are just so darn happy.

I was planning to quilt it with a free-motion stipple, but then I realized—scallop quilting! Because WHALES. This is the same quilting method as my Chandelier quilt—the scallop decorative stitch on my Bernina 750 (stitch #719), along with my even-feed foot. It is soooo easy.
LINK-UP RULES:

1. Link up any blog post or Instagram photo from the past week that features an unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. To link an Instagram photo, click the Instagram icon at the bottom of the link-up screen, and use the URL of your IG feed as the link (for example, my URL is www.instagram.com/lee.a.heinrich). Please hashtag #wipwednesday.
3. If you are linking to a blog post, please link back here to my blog somewhere in your post.
4. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links, either IG or blog—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!
Have a great week!
« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. lalaluu
    lalaluu says:

I love the whales! I did an applique whale baby quilt for a friend who is a marine biologist. It was my first applique and I had lots of fun doing it by machine and using lots of the fun stitches.

2. wipgirl
    wipgirl says:

Great looking quilt! That scallop stitch is fantastic. Neither of my machines do interesting stitches, but maybe one day I'll get another one that has a bit of variety like that.

3. Kris
    Kris says:

Lee, love the whale but really love the quilting. My question is with that scallop do you have to stitch the whole quilt going one direction or do you have a reverse button and can switch back and forth from bottom to top and vice versa?

4. CurlyGirlMom
    CurlyGirlMom says:

I just love the whales! I've never seen this pattern and am in awe of how simple and cute it is! On an unrelated note, I don't have an instagram account or a blog, so I can't participate in the other entries. Thanks for offering a way for us "low(er) tech folks to enter!)

5. Vickie
    Vickie says:

Happy 2015 to you too Lee ! The scalloped quilting on those cute little whales was the perfect thing to do….I'm looking at a little boy right this minute who would love a whale quilt to play on. He's 5 months old and loves to spend tummy time on Gammies quilts looking at all the colors. Intrepid Thread always has the prettiest bundles, this is one is so bright and cheery !

6. the momma
    the momma says:

This is so cute!!
    I got a good laugh out of this, and thought you might too, so I have to tell on myself:
    I was scrolling though my reader, looking for your WIP post and saw the picture of a whale quilt and thought "oh look, Elizabeth blogged! (she hasn't posted much, you know) I'll check that out later" Then I wondered if you were okay, and why you hadn't posted. So, I came here, directly, instead of through bloglovin, and there they were – WHALES 🙂 I am such a dingbat, my next thought was "wow, Elizabeth and Lee BOTH posted whale quilts today! Hey – why didn't this show up in my reader? Hey. wait a minute…." haha
    I'm glad you're okay 😉